Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Ensign

hello everyone.

My name is John, I am 39 years old and have worked in the Royal Navy for almost twenty and a half years. Haven't got long to go before I retire and hope to live 'the dream' instead of continuing with the rat race. I purchased an ocean going yacht, which admittedly still needs a lot of hard work, time and money, but brings the dream ever closer and the belief that it could become a reality!

Like I say I have much work to do, so standby for a million and one questions on electrical systems, plumbing, rigs, electronics, deck fittings, etc, etc, etc!!!!

Regards

John

Old 07-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard John - good to have you join us.

We hope to hear lots from you and trust that you will let us know all about how you get on with the boat. Got a pic?

Welcome!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #3
tel
Lieutenant

Hi John....yes a picture of the boat would be good. It seems to me that no matter what sort of boat you have (mind you I've never had a new one) that you're always working on something. Maybe I'm a tinkerer, but for me that's part of the experience. However, it does keep your boat in good condition. It's interesting that you're a Navy man, going to sea more on our own terms. I think you'll have a lot of fun. Regards
Old 07-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Ensign

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocard.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	533

I will endeavour to take some photos over the next couple of weeks as I progress with my project. However, I do have a photo to aspire too, it is of 'Rocard', one of about 12 sister yachts. She's a Valiant 46, heavy displacement ferro-cement (about 25tons) ketch, designed by Alan Hill and built in Burma-on-crouch about 1977.

I purchased the yacht about 2 years ago, as an ongoing concern! There's a bit of a sad sorry behind it actually. The original owner had the yacht built so he and his wife could go live the dream. Unfortunetly his wife died suddenly and the dream was never fulfilled. The boat fell into dis-repair, so much so, that the whole sub-deck and many of the deck beams had rotted through. So my first job was to lift the once beautiful teak deck to replace the sub-deck and beams. Most of the teak was beyond saving and on enquiring the cost of a new teak deck I think I must of passed out! Anyway, after speaking to the owner's of Rocard, the consenses was that teak was a major maintenance nightmare in tropical climates and fibre-glass was the way ahead. So that's the project this summer, fibre-glassing.

I have spoken to the original owner and he was explaining that the yacht's name was 'JayCee' after the first initial of his and his wife's name. It just so happens that this is also my initials and so I feel that this yacht was meant to be. I only hope I can do the owner proud and fulfill his original dream.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Admiral

Hi John ,

A real project - many cruisers find great self actualization in what you have undertaken,

as you go - any help that we can give - we have many members who are going through similar projects :

The Alan Hill's Valiants great design :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	534

Richard