Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Hi All,

Greetings from Sydney, Australia. Im new to this forum and keen to get advice and information about sailing, liveaboard lifestyle and tips and tricks.

Im in the process of planning for my Liveaboard Lifestyle. I will be sailing single handed and looking forward to meeting up with others that are currently liveaboards or are planning to in the future.

I have decided that a Catamaran will suit my liveaboard needs but am still trying to work out which one. I think the ideal length would be up to 42' but that could depend upon layout.

I cant wait to commence this next chapter of my life.

Shane

Shane (Stormy)

You cant be everything to everyone and nothing to yourself
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Shane - make yourself at home. I'm sure that you will learn as much here as I do every day.

Welcome!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
Greetings from Sydney, Australia.

I have decided that a Catamaran will suit my liveaboard needs but am still trying to work out which one. I think the ideal length would be up to 42' but that could depend upon layout.
Shane,

Welcome to Cruiser Log

Interested in your choice of a Catamaran to be your new home - how did you decide on size ?

Richard
Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Shane,

Welcome to Cruiser Log

Interested in your choice of a Catamaran to be your new home - how did you decide on size ?

Richard
Hi Richard,

Thank you guys for the welcome. Initially I went into the choice of sailing yachts with an open mind but after some walking on and off yachts, speaking to others and using the net (google is a wonderful thing) I decided on a Catamaran.

I like the idea of the extra stability, open areas above and the fact that I can get galley up. I did consider older model Motorsailers as they were more affordable but they didnt seem to have what I was looking for. I went back to the catamarans. As for size,I will be sailing singlehanded (unless my current circumstances change)and was advised on more than one occasion by Cat owners that the ideal size would be between 35' and 42'.

As for makes, models etc I am driven by price,realising you will often get what you pay for, so will probably have to look at an older catamaran. I dont want the fastest boat on the ocean but do want reliability and a boat that can handle things and ride well if Im caught out wide and the weather gets nasty.

I have considered Prouts,Leopards, Fountaine Pajots and Lagoons. I will be leaving Australia soon to work in the Pacific Islands so will continue my search there.

It is going to be a lifestyle change for me and one that will take me into retirement when the time comes. I have no fixed time frame in mind and will let the wind, tides and health dictate.

I look to learn from others more experienced and Im sure I will get a lot out of these forums.

Thank you again for your welcome.

Smooth Sailing and fair winds

Shane

Shane (Stormy)

Old 11-26-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
Admiral

Hi Shane,

Assuming you are an Australian and that you will eventually retire in Australia, one would need to consider the question of the duty which Australia levies on imported boats like the Prouts,Leopards, Fountaine Pajots and Lagoons. Here is the contact info to get current details from Australian Customs CLICK.

Aussies have some really excellent designs and good boat builders. Another factor to consider is the overall length length of the cat - 39ft costs less than a 40ft+ in a marina.

Which Pacific Islands are you going to?

Richard
Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Shane,

Assuming you are an Australian and that you will eventually retire in Australia, one would need to consider the question of the duty which Australia levies on imported boats like the Prouts,Leopards, Fountaine Pajots and Lagoons. Here is the contact info to get current details from Australian Customs CLICK.

Aussies have some really excellent designs and good boat builders. Another factor to consider is the overall length length of the cat - 39ft costs less than a 40ft+ in a marina.

Which Pacific Islands are you going to?

Richard
Richard,

Thank you for the link to Australian Customs. I am an Australian and will eventually retire in Australia however I do intend to sail to other places as my experience grows. I am also studying to become an English Language Teacher and hoping to combine the two.

I can see your point about the length dictating the price at the marina. If I can get what I need in a smaller cat then that would be the way to go. I will, where possible, use a swing mooring and hopefully avoid a few of the higher charges. I guess it also comes down to the location and facilities at the marina. Im setting my sights on areas of Far North Queensland and the marinas up that way.

As for Aussie Boat Builders I really havnt looked in that area yet. It may be a place where I can continue my search.

I will be spending most of my time in the Solomon Islands over the next couple of years. I will be leaving Australia next January.

Thanks for the info.

Shane

Shane (Stormy)

Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Shane, a good way to get in touch with other liveaboards in Sydney is to head for Berry's Bay Marina in Waverton (North Sydney). Any time on a weekend or Friday night is good. All unofficial and stuff of course. Get hold of me via PM on this board or email del at babel dot com dot au and I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Ensign

Delatbabel

Thank you for the information. I would welcome the chance to chat to Liveaboards in the area. The better informed I am the better prepared I will be. I know I can never know everything about everything but thats all part of the challenge and living the adventure.

I have a few days off work coming up soon so I will try and make it over that way. I have to move my personal items into storage for a year before I head off overseas to work.

Thanks for the offer.I will be in touch.

Shane

Shane (Stormy)

Tags
liveaboard