Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney
Default Help - all new to me!!

Hi, All - I am a true water babe, but more familiar with cruising (sorry!) after many years in Sydney. Personal circumstances give me the freedom to get into sailing and crewing. Keen to make a start. All suggestions welcome!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: milfordsound

well good on you i say. seen the light!
you can google 'hitchichers guide to the oceans and cruising'. and there are more books like that available that youll find online to checkout.
And i rekon a really nice way to show your resourcefulness (which every captain looks for in crew/quailfied or NOT) is to advertise your help/services to cruisers when they come into syd. The big city after the tranquillity of being at sea is a big thing to navigate at the end of a passage for even the 'biggest apples'. So you could post your details and a breif outline on what you can do for them, ie; city navigator, and if you have a car, the benifits to cruisers is immense; as it's beut to get inland tiki touring for a few hours with good company.
The more you 'hang-around' the mariners where cruisers are,the more of them you will meet face to smiley face.
You may be thinking 'yeh, but coffee,and petrol costs. not to mention precious time'. yes it does. but a good/kind name with cruisers is priceless. we/they all talk, and if you delight people(especially cruisers)they tell all, and you will meet many people..and inturn have more possibilities for cruising. i think all would benefit.(?)

Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney
Default Brill idea!

Brill thinking, pacificstu - thanks! I have taken up your suggestion and posted something here - Crew Positions Wanted - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums - hope it's in the right forum, and fingers crossed