Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Glasgow
Default Help! Gibraltar - Tenerife via Moroccan Coast: 42ft Boat

Hi All,

New here and looking for a bit of help and advice:

I’ve been asked to help take a friends’ 2006 Jeanneau Prestige 42 Flybridge from Gibraltar to Tenerife, down the Moroccan coast starting around the last week in October 2018, weather and conditions permitting.

I am asking for help and would like to hear from any motor-boaters or sailors that have experience of this stretch of water, down the Moroccan Atlantic Coast; Rabat, Agadir etc and perhaps over to the Canaries.

Specifically:

What are the likely sea-conditions, wave-heights, period, fetch-direction, and windspeeds and directions?

What have you experienced? Was it particularly rough or challenging?

Anything in particular to be aware of / advice ?

If you’re reading this and have experience of this area - sail or power, or this type and size of motor boat, do you have alarm bells ringing thinking this is ‘crazy’, or are you thinking “yes this should be fine if you time it right”.

I have consulted charts, pilot books, online forums, North Atlantic pilot charts for weather trends, online planning resources etc.

Fuel planning is a major constraint and Rabat and Agadir seem to me to be the only ‘major’ marinas that have good access and fuel.

This particular boat is new to me although I am not new to the style and, even though I do say so myself, I would consider myself quite experienced having done several offshore passages in motor boats, and have undertaken various training and qualifications.

I will be accompanied by a friend who has similar experience and training to me plus we would be taking two experienced and useful crew able to take a safe navigational watch (any volunteers?!)

Any advice is gratefully received as I want to be as safe as possible - despite whatever past boating experience I think I might have I would always want to hear views of others who have done this or a similar trip before.

Thanks guys

David

PS I posted already elsewhere but received a message inviting me to post here first so am willing to delete the other one if I shouldn’t post twice (!)

Old 03-27-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
Commander

Recommend you purchase "World Cruising Routes" by Jimmy Cornell. It will describe the conditions you can expect and the time of year to do this trip.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Glasgow

Thanks willdo!

Tags
boat