Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Johannesburg
Default Hi!

Hi all,
My wife Linda and I are planning a sail away retirement in two years time. I have sailed most of my life on the South African coast but Linda has never cruised before.

We are both hoping for a gentle introduction to sailing for her, once we have acquired our vessel. Currently interested in a 39' Colin Archer Cutter Ketch. I do however, have some reservations on this rig.

Good to be aboard and look forward to getting to know others,

Kind regards,
Richard and Linda

Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard. Best of luck in finding just the thing you're looking for to accomplish your cruising goals. Many folks like the ketch rig and the Colin Archer hull--what's your worry?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi Redbopeep,
Thanks for the reply. I am extremely happy with the hull and it's configuration. My concern is around the rig. I am receiving a lot of negativity from my fellow sailors here about the ketch cutter rig. I am being told that the mizzen is a waste of time and effort?

Any advice from seasoned cruisers using this rig will be gladly received.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Richard,
There are several factors affecting life aboard a smallish ketch. Most of those factors are generally positive. The spars are shorter which tends to keep the boat more upright. Indeed, in ketch rigged sailboats with a hard chine, it can be difficult to get them to heel more than about ten degrees. (Yay for physics!). Your beautiful Colin Archer ketch may not point quite so high, but it will run wonderfully and will be a dream to steer if you had a tiller. And the truth is, when close hauled, you will lose only a degree or so...and you will still point higher than an equivalent boat with slightly baggy sails hanging on a sloop rig. A ketch rig can also be more manageable for those who choose to sail shorthanded.

Heaving-to will be easier to set up, balancing short sails in a blow will be easier (small headsail and mizzen, with no main) and setting a mizzen at anchor will all but kill a cross current and make for a cooler boat as it will weather-cock easier.

The major disadvantage, in my direct experience (I had a 36' centre cockpit ketch in the early 90s) is that you virtually lose the aft deck. The boom is just a few feet above the deck and sweeps everything before it. I think, for most practical purposes, the inner stay sail is something which has the potential to unbalance the boat, but that is true of any sloop conversion and, I suspect, that if the venerable Mr Archer designed the sail plan to include an inner stay sail, it will be effective.

AND.....ketches are pretty. Colin Archer ketches are particularly so.
Attached Thumbnails
140706_Schaerentoern__1716 KopieCrop.jpg  

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Ensign

Hi Auzzee,
Unusual spelling but I like it. What happened to you guys at RWC letting the Kiwi's thump you like that? Lets not mention Japan though!

Thanks for getting back to me with your observations. The photo appears to be exactly the same as the one I am looking at. Centre cockpit with bulkhead steering and aft cabin. was your boat the one shown in the pic?

You have put my mind to rest with your info and am about ready to commit to a survey.

I am glad I did not take the opinions seriously of a group of coastal racing fellows. As they say, "opinions are like a...holes as everybody has one"

I needed my head to be on the same level as my heart on this issue.

Regards,
Richard.

ps; how do I paste a jpeg here?
Old 11-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Admiral

Well, we have to let the Kiwi's win something, sometimes. That said though, there is no shame in coming second to the very best in the world.

My ketch was a South Coast 36. A modified Roberts design.

To post a pic: Below the text field when you are composing, you will see a prompt 'Go advanced' Click on that and look at the top of the resulting panel. You will see the icon for 'attachment' (a paper clip). Click on that and you will see the browse panel. Download the pix there, then close the panel and, as if by magic, your pictures will appear on the finished page after you click on 'post'.

Now to my pix of Shibumi from the 80s.
One pic is under sail, one is under crane and the third featured a young lady who appeared to have had a stereophonic, multi point, spreader based, wardrobe malfunction. One is detail from the galley and one is the saloon, port side.

I was obviously impressed with the unique manner Miss used to summons me back to the boat, but I was also so pleased with myself for having just installed a manual Admiral Benbow anchor winch. I bought that boat as a bare hull and deck and 'built' it from there. I rigged it, fitted a Perkins 4108, fitted bulkheads, cabin sole, head liner etc. then made and finished all the cabinets and beds etc, and fitted a Tecomseh engine driven compressor and eutectic fridge tanks, fitted a heat exchange hot water container and made the whole vessel beautiful. It took me all over South East Asia, northern and western Australia. I loved that boat. Total sum of electronics at the time were. Kodan 8121 SSB, GME VHF, a Seafarer flashing light, analog depth sounder, and a National Panasonic transistor radio with an inbuilt ferrite rod ariel, which made a top class RDF. I had also just saved enough cash for a car and spent it instead on a Magellan portable GPS with remote antenna. It was a boat show special and cost me over 3000 crisp new Aussie dollars. I still have it, but it's a bit stuffed.

Great memories.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0058.jpg   IMG_0006.jpg   IMG_0054.jpg   IMG_0047.jpg   IMG_0035.jpg  

Old 11-10-2015, 03:56 AM   #7
Ensign

Click image for larger version

Name:	MON39-0142aa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2460

Click image for larger version

Name:	39-Colin-Archer-on-hard-pic4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2461

MON39-0142 - 39 Vikingbank - R580k.pdfToo true! The best side ever, it is said!

Very pretty vessel indeed. Tons of work to finish her I am sure. How long did that little task take you?

I am attaching a few pics of the Vikingbank we are looking at as well as an inventory. The price is good too. Feedback appreciated as always.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Admiral

Nice looking craft indeed and well equipped. It seems like a very good deal at around US$40,000. Best of luck in your quest.

When I took on my project, there were several boats in the yard which had been being refitted/built for many years. I was determined not to take years. I was lucky that I had two good jobs. I quit one and kept the second. I then spent six hours a day, six days a week for five months. Then recommenced my second job, took a month vacation from the first and kept working on the boat.

After that vacation, I went back to work, took a vacation from working on the boat, then went back to boat work for two hours a day for another three months. So, the whole process took about nine months.

I don't think I have the same capability for that level of commitment these days. The best thing to come out of the experience was the level of knowledge I gained about making a boat.

Makes me tired just thinking back on it.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks mate. Your input has been valuable. I hope we cross paths somewhere in our wanderings so that we can sink a few together.

May I use you as a sounding board in the future?