Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi everyone - just a short hello from us. Our names are Heather and Harry and we live on Niue, at least we have for the last three years and we are moving on to PNG to again work for the NZ Govt. We are at present looking to purchase a cruiser but are unfamiliar with PNG and the surrounding Islands. We believe there is a nice yacht club in Port Moresby and that will be one of our first places of call. However, we are in Niue until 5th Sept 08 so if anyone is around, look us up at the Niue Yacht Club - (the only yacht club in the world without any yachts - However, our membership nearly exceeds our population here thanks to the many cruisers that have passed through here on passages around the pacific.

cheers

H&H

Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi! Make yourself at home, first drink's on me.

Peter and I LOVED Niue! We have some fond memories of our visit there, as do most cruisers who have stopped there, I know. In fact, Watermelon's blog used to be linked to the Niue web site.

Last I heard, the local diver's club was going to install some moorings. Has that happened? When we dove there, we saw what looked like dozens of large ship anchors on the bottom, any of which would make a sturdy and safe mooring for a visiting yacht.

For those who haven't been there, but might consider it, the water is astonishingly clear and beautiful. The people are lovely. The caves are another interesting experience. As is the most difficult golf hole. And the "Where in the world is Niue" T-shirts! Still made?

If you could find the time, we'd love you to post some information to the Cruising Wiki on Niue. (there we go, trying to put you to work already!)

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
Ensign

Thankyou for your kind welcome and I will try and get a chance to update the WIKI for Niue as time allows!

We are glad you loved Niue and we agree most of our visiting Cruising yachties love the place. Niue is very special and I will leave here with very fond memories but we will be back - hopefully cruising ourselves.

The Niue Yacht Club has a very informative site that covers most of the information required by yachties visiting Niue. The site is

www.niueyachtclub.com

The NYC committee is made up of a small bunch of devoted individuals that tries hard to make the visits y Cruising Yachties as enjoyable and as safe as possible - and in 1995 the NYC took over the maintenance of the mooring from the Govt. The moorings are removed annually in November before the cyclone season and after inspection they are repaired and reinstated around May June. We now have 20 moorings after Cyclone Heta destroyed many of the moorings in 2004. Anyway the blog on the NYC website will keep you up to date with events over the last few years. Anyway, I encourage Cruisers from around the world to visit the site and to join online ($20.oo US) - there you go I have done my bit today promoting NYC.!!!! The Commodore will be thrilled!

Thanks and regards

H
Old 08-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A warm welcome aboard from me too - you live in a wonderful part of the world. We hope to hear lots from you.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Hi H & H

Niue on the Wiki is now ready for your contributions. There is some info there but it does require a lot more to make the section really useful.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks for your kind welcome.

Will try and add to the WIKI as time allows. Departing for NZ to repair some of the storm damage to our property just NE of Whangarei.