Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello,

I'm new here and as my name says, I'm deaf dude looking to get start in sailing. Ever since I read Robin Lee Graham's book Dove, I've always wanted to circumnavigate the world. This is my first stepping stone, hopefully, toward my goal.

And the hunter home from the hill.

Robert Louis Stevenson
CuriousDeafDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Welcome to the cruising and wannabe cruising community!

I believe you find that everyone here is very helpful and will answer any questions you may have to the best of their ability...some better than others

Good to have you onboard!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A hearty welcome aboard from me too. Good to have you here.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Ensign

Thank you both, I am curious if you have ever met any deaf sailors. I only know of one, Charl de Villiers.

Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 01-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
Admiral

Can't say that I have, however I have met several paraplegic and even one blind sailor. I'm always impressed by those with disabilities who face life head-on. Makes me thankful for what I have.

Can you tell us a little bit about your plans and what you’re wanting to do, vessel type, route, timing, experience?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Ensign

Charl de Villier was the first deaf man to circumnavigate the world, He had just finished in 2004.

I have absolutely no experience in sailing whatsoever. Right now I'm going to college for Marine engine mechanic but I'm considering taking sailing classes after I graduate. I have no idea what to look for in vessel but my plan for after sailing lesson was to sail around Carribbean to get some experience under my belt. After that, when I feel confident enough, I would like to try sail around the world.

Do you know any website or book that show vessel types, I would like to learn more of them.

Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Admiral

I got into sailing at about your age. One of the first things that I did was enroll in Navy ROTC classes as a civilian while I was attending the University of Arizona for Engineering. I was able to get college elective credits for taking classes for rules of the road, coastal navigation, celestial navigation, and seamanship. These are the first classes that I would recommend that every sailor take before buying a vessel.

A good way to get sailing experience is through local sailing clubs or yacht clubs. Yacht clubs are always looking for crew for weekend buoy races. Getting out on as many racing boats as possible will enable to observe various hardware set-ups and sailing techniques…you will learn fast….and you will have lots of fun meeting great people.

Go to sailblogs and start reading some logs from people actually cruising around the world at this very moment...you can learn volumes.

http://www.sailblogs.com/

Chris & Julie have years of sailing experience and are finishing their circumnavigation this week. They have a very detailed blog.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/cisnecito/

Chris & KT also have a great couple of websites:

http://svbillabong.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Welcome CDD,

My wife claims I am deaf, but it is really practiced selective hearing.....LOLOLOLOL. Welcome, and you can get nearly any question answered here, as well as meet some really nice people.

Trim's advice is good. I myself took 40 hours of lessons sailing. Basic 1&2, and then coastal cruising. 3 months later I was on my own 30 footer, and 18 months later I single-handed to Cabo Mexico from S.F. I read everything I could get my hands on, and I keep reading. One of my favorite sources of information was Latitude 38 magazine. It is online too for some good reading. Best wishes in your new endeavor
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
Ensign

Hey folks,

I'm back! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been busy with college works. To all who replied to my last posts, thanks.

Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 03-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Rear Admiral

CDD,

Since you were working on your education. Have taken a first step into the wild world of sailing?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
CDD,

Since you were working on your education. Have taken a first step into the wild world of sailing?
Unfortunately no, the closest yacht club was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina and they won't be opening the sailing education until summer.

Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 03-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Rear Admiral

How about looking for a way to sail by posting at marinas? Possibly some fresh water lakes? Just get onto anything you can, and dinghy sailing will make a much better sailor out of you. The action is much faster in a dink.........
Old 03-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
Ensign

Quote:
How about looking for a way to sail by posting at marinas? Possibly some fresh water lakes? Just get onto anything you can, and dinghy sailing will make a much better sailor out of you. The action is much faster in a dink.........
I'll check them out, although sailing's not as common in mississippi as it is in some states.

Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
Rear Admiral

When I say the action is quicker in a dink. I mean to say that a dink will make a much better sailor out of you. Your understanding of how the boat will react to the touch on the tiller. Everything happens fast on a dinghy, so you are forced to be much more aware.

When I sailed to Mexico, and left my boat there. I would go to a small manmade lake in Oakland Ca.. There I would rent, and sail dinghies all day long. So much fun, and the lake only being the size of a large shopping mall if not smaller. I did it just to sail.

Look around, and you might be surprised where you will find people sailing.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Ensign

Quote:
When I say the action is quicker in a dink. I mean to say that a dink will make a much better sailor out of you. Your understanding of how the boat will react to the touch on the tiller. Everything happens fast on a dinghy, so you are forced to be much more aware.

When I sailed to Mexico, and left my boat there. I would go to a small manmade lake in Oakland Ca.. There I would rent, and sail dinghies all day long. So much fun, and the lake only being the size of a large shopping mall if not smaller. I did it just to sail.

Look around, and you might be surprised where you will find people sailing.
That's pretty much what i read a lot in most of sailing books and magazines. Most of them recommend sailing dinghy first and then move up.

Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Rear Admiral

I sailed several times on other people's boats. One of those was a 1 week trip to the Bahamas. I was very sick for the last 4 days, but had a great time anyway. Then I moved back home to S.F. Ca. I could see the whole bay from my porch. After a while I couldn't take it, and took lessons. 3 months for 4 hours every Sunday.

3 months later I bought a 30 ft. sloop. I sailed at first with my wife, and friends, but many times when my wife was working my friends wouldn't show up. I would eat my lunch on the boat, and watch the other boats sailing along. In less than a year my wife told me she may not choose to leave with me. All my dreams sank as quick as my heart did.

The next day I left work early, and drove down to Frolic. I started her motor, and let her warm up. With my stomache in my throat I slipped her lines, and went sailing ALONE. When I decided to return I could not get the boat to stay into the wind to get the sails down. I decided I would sail into the marina, and drop the sails. Once inside everything looked so CLOSE. I could see my slip way at the end of the fairway. I eased the main, and tightened the headsail. I kept pumping the headsail to maintain a slow speed. My dock was a very close hulled sail from the entrance. Once I turned a bit up wind the main was dead, and I finally released the headsail. Frolic glided into her slip, and nudged the dock. Mind you I kept the motor running just in case, but the moment I stepped onto the dock, and secured Folic. My life changed forever.

I started adding gear to the boat such as Radar, solar panel, new stove, etc.etc., and within 6 months I sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge alone, and turned south to go see Mexico. A ll within 18 months, so take a step at a time, and be safe.......LIVE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!