Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
Ensign

Thumbs up

Hello, I'm new here but impressed with how well these boards are kept up and the amount of information shared here.

I'm also new to sailing and have no one here I can ask my (millions of) questions. Here's what I'm looking to have answered, and an introduction for myself follows. =) Thanks in advance for any answers you all can offer:

I will be studying for a year in Germany, where school finishes up in July 2008. What I'd like to know is, could I possibly find a crew position sailing from the Atlantic coast of Europe or the Mediterranean around this time? Ideally I'd be back to Houston by the end of August when school starts, but I'm flexible. Is this a good time in the year for sailing rigs to leave? Would anyone want an inexperienced sailor on a transatlantic trip? Does anyone have any contacts they could put me in touch with who might be doing this sort of trip, or know where I could find one?

Short intro

My name is Natalie, I'm currently a 20-year-old student in Houston, Texas. My sailing experience is limited to 10- or 12-foot boats with a single sail on a lake, but I'm looking for something much bigger. I love a challenge, both physically and mentally, I like building friendships, love to travel, and learn quickly. I'm a native speaker of English and also know some German (it had better be a lot of German by next summer). ^_^ I've never been prone to motion- or sea-sickness. I'm easy-going when travelling: I pack light, and don't mind delay or unexpected disasters (ask me about the time in Honduras when the two-ton truck carrying all of our luggage rolled down into a ravine...) Sailing is one of those things that I've always wanted to do and never really found a chance (other than canoeing, kayaking, and sailing in itty bitty boats on a lake... though they usually had five or six children in them, and trust me, that takes skill ^_~). Basically, the more rustic a boat I can find, the better, though again, I'm not picky.

I'm studying Linguistics in school, but other than that spend a lot of time dancing, not only things like ballet, jazz, and modern, but also social dancing -- I love swing and salsa, and gladly teach anyone willing. I read a lot. I like just about everyone and am very friendly, though quiet at first. I don't smoke at all, and don't drink often or to excess. I don't snore, and luckily I'm a very deep sleeper, so I don't mind if you snore.

I know this introduction was a bit varied, but it's hard to know as a newbie what will matter most out on the water. If you're interested in anything else about me, have any other questions, or better yet, can have a go at answering my questions, please email me.

bgnathaleigh AT gmail DOT com

Thank you once again for any help!

--Natalie

Old 06-04-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Natalie. With a good introduction like that I'm sure that many will be along to try and assist you with some good advice.

Please read:

Crew Tips and Advice www.cruiser.co.za/crewfinder.asp

Where & when (time of year) cruising yachts are www.cruiser.co.za/crewfinder1.asp

Good luck with your plans.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Natalie

Your introduction is just fine. Often skippers are willing to overlook inexperience for greater personal traits of strong motivation to learn, honesty, work ethic, positive attitude, good habits, and pleasant personality. Skippers can provide the sailing experience, but may have little tolerance for "dead weight" on their vessel.

I think your chances should be great, if you can find a skipper matching your intended voyage. If you have difficulty finding a vessel, increase your odds by being flexible in your desired route and time frame. Meanwhile you can learn a lot about sailing and cruising from books, and online.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
Admiral

Hi there and welcome Natalie

My boat is berthed very close to Germany....I can perhaps offer you some cruising in the Baltic / North Sea. See my email to you.

Aye

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor_Pilot View Post
Natalie

Your introduction is just fine. Often skippers are willing to overlook inexperience for greater personal traits of strong motivation to learn, honesty, work ethic, positive attitude, good habits, and pleasant personality. Skippers can provide the sailing experience, but may have little tolerance for "dead weight" on their vessel.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Jeff
There is another current post that I point to as an example:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/index.php...&#entry8121

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote