Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Milwaukee
Default Introduction: Daniel

Hi everyone, permission to come aboard? My name's Daniel. I'm originally from the US midwest and excited about joining this community online.

I took the advice of a lot of skippers and crew through the years and finally joined up here to help, offer advice, and receive it too. It seemed like a good time now.

I'm experienced on a wide variety of boats and have crossed the Atlantic. I've traveled widely (but not to Australia or East Asia yet). I've taught in the social sciences at university level and have always tried to balance scholarship with real world experience. I don't own a vessel at the moment, but that's something I hope some longtime and knowledgeable folks here can help me with in the coming years.

The thing that I'm most interested in is learning from old hands on here that have done so many of the things I still haven't gotten to try: different passages, novel techniques, tools, or materials, and all manner of new ideas and approaches to life at sea and port.

If you're curious about anything I wrote or want me to elaborate, please respond! All the best, and cheers!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: LongBeach, California
Vessel Name: Patricia A

Sure I'm up for some stories . My wife and I coastal sail and part time live aboard our little cutter .

Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
Ensign

Default Rule of thumb

Well, once, off the coast near Kourou (north of Cayenne) I was too busy watching a Ariane 5 and almost lost my left thumb. It got tangled in a rope and slammed end first into the boom. It's why it doesn't work like it used to. Saw a doctor 5 months later: "Use it much. It will work better" he said.

I'll definitely have to think about more (and better stories). The last thing I want to do is either sound like a narcissist or blowhard, or bore people with episodes they've been through themselves.

But, I should be able to eventually dredge up some better tales (involving other elements, such as rum or Belikin, or women -- of course, I'd keep it PG rated).

Thanks for asking though. How is it these days in south Cal after all those massive catastroph—oh wait, that was the movie "San Andreas".

I've always wanted to sail down the west coast, explore the sea of cortez, etc. Let me know what's happening out that way.

Cheers
Old 06-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Rohuneeme

You guys need the popcorn eating smilie in here.
: popcorn: :following:
Old 06-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: LongBeach, California
Vessel Name: Patricia A

Hey Daniel , the south west coast is awesome , we live near the Channel Islands . Our favorite is Catalina here is a little glimpse of Catalina's Isthmus cove .

It does get cold in So.Cal.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatinthetree View Post

You guys need the popcorn eating smilie in here.
: popcorn: :following:
Hey there Cat! Estonia, I've always wanted to visit. How's Talinn? A better question would be: Should I ever get to that area, what is the best tip for a must-see place (or must-do experience)? I tend to ask this question, and have gotten some wonderfully interesting or useful responses. Feel free to add your own stories as well.

Cheers
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Hey Daniel , the south west coast is awesome , we live near the Channel Islands . Our favorite is Catalina here is a little glimpse of Catalina's Isthmus cove .
It does get cold in So.Cal.
Markwesti: Thanks for the photo. I miss Catalina, I was there two years ago and stayed at the Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel (which I very highly recommend). My girlfriend and I got stranded due to a storm. The ferry was grounded for that day so we had to stay and extra night. It was brilliant. Avalon was a blast, the Wrigley manor fascinating, the food great, and the harbor intoxicating. Really, I don't use these adjectives lightly -- we had a memorable time and I'd do it again in a second. Great to hear you live there, lucky ducks!

What's that song, with that lyric "In a noisy bar in Avalon I tried to call you"? Crosby Stills and Nash I think. Plus, my girlfriend actually did run away. Twice. Not in Catalina, but afterward. So, never let it be said that life doesn't sometimes imitate art.
Attached Thumbnails
CatalinaZaneGreyHotelView.jpg   CatalinaAvalonHarbor.JPG