Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi my name is Jake, I'm an over the road truck driving looking for a new adventure. So I bought a sailboat. I think I got a good deal, 750 dollars for a 26' 1970 seaquest cruiser. Its on the water, no leaks and with sails. The motor is not running but the boat looks to be in pretty good condition. Here's a link to the eBay auction

I need to know anything and every you guys can tell me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
Admiral

Cool! You'll spend as much for a new outboard for the boat as you did for the boat itself. No matter, put it on a mooring, get yourself a little dinghy to get you out to the boat, and learn to sail! I think it will be fun. Find a yacht club and visit, hat in hand, asking for some good soul to show you how to sail. Or ask they'll take you out on their boat to show you how it's done. I'm sure you can find some way to repay the person - a dinner out, or something.

Better would be watch the smart-aleck kids at the local yacht club's kid races. Get a couple of friends to take you and the boat out.

All else fails, get a book, take it onto the boat, and read a couple pages, practice on the boat. a few more pages, a bit more on the boat. Tell everyone you haven't a clue what you're doing. You'd be amazed at how eager most people are to show you how to do things, and thereby showing you how much they know. it's fun.

As I bow out to the wings, the more sensible of our group will come onstage with better advice than my "cool!"

Enjoy, and don't let the boat or anybody intimidate you! It's just a game.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I'm one up on you Jeanne:

Way Cool

You'll have lots of fun if you take Jeanne's advice, for sure.

Welcome aboard!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A "welcome aboard" from me too.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Cool! You'll spend as much for a new outboard for the boat as you did for the boat itself. No matter, put it on a mooring,

All else fails, get a book, take it onto the boat, and read a couple pages, practice on the boat. a few more pages, a bit more on the boat.

Enjoy, and don't let the boat or anybody intimidate you! It's just a game.

Thanks jeanneP,

How much does a mooring normally cost and is there any where to anchor for free other remote islands. Also i will be buying

Chapman Piloting and Seamanship book. I hear this is a very detailed read on sailing.

thanks again guys
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Ensign

Ahoy Capt'n Jake:

I don't know the boat you mention, but I've seen a bit of the ocean---25,000 miles of cruising before I "swallowed the hook."

Everything the first person said is quite true, all good advice.

All I would add would be a couple of quotations:

"He who would go to sea for pleasure, would go to Hell for a pastime." Lord Chesterfield

And here's the one I taped over my own chart table when I was a live-aboard cruiser, "He who is not afraid of the sea will soon be

drowned--said the old fisherman from the Blasket Islands--- but we do be afraid of the sea and we do only be drowned now and

again." John Milington Synge
Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Admiral

Since you're a trucker, my original assumption that you were in California might be incorrect.

Moorings. Some places you pay for them from the local marina that has put them down. We haven't had such a mooring in 30+ years, so I can't even guess at what it would cost. Some places, if you own waterfront land, you can put your own mooring down, though I think these are quite rare nowadays.

I've seen some permanently anchored boats a few places in Florida, but I don't recall seeing any other places. Not that it can't be done, just that I haven't seen it, and think that an anchor down would be a bit riskier than a mooring.

I read Chapman's cover to cover. How much have I retained? Not sure, but it was very helpful to me, but it's a boat handling book without a great lot of emphasis on sailing how-tos. Still worth it if only for the buoys, marks, and identification of other boats and ships' lights, daymarks, right of way, courtesy, etc.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Since you're a trucker, my original assumption that you were in California might be incorrect.

I read Chapman's cover to cover. How much have I retained? Not sure, but it was very helpful to me, but it's a boat handling book without a great lot of emphasis on sailing how-tos. Still worth it if only for the buoys, marks, and identification of other boats and ships' lights, daymarks, right of way, courtesy, etc.
I am originally from Louisiana, but live in Oakland ca at the moment. What books would you refer for sailing?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEnfantDuVent View Post
All I would add would be a couple of quotations:

"He who would go to sea for pleasure, would go to Hell for a pastime." Lord Chesterfield

And here's the one I taped over my own chart table when I was a live-aboard cruiser, "He who is not afraid of the sea will soon be

drowned--said the old fisherman from the Blasket Islands--- but we do be afraid of the sea and we do only be drowned now and

again." John Milington Synge
Thanks, these sound like some quotes to live by!