Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
Lieutenant

i read the ICW is not so well maintained these days...needs some dredging in spots. BTW my family has owned 2 spots along it over the years...one in pamlico sound area (pamlico beach), the other in Oak Island (formerly long beach), NC. got my sunfish experience (including fiberglass repair!) in those areas growing up.

@multimadness: thanks! for the "good cat, bad cat" site. very informative for a starter. im in no position to debate, im in hunter gatherer mode. though i 'hear' things. have you checked out the bumfuzzle blog (tp://www.bumfuzzle.com/Pages/2003/2003_11.html) couple of inexperienced sailors...on a cat. PLUS an ACCOUNTING....which now makes me think my budget is less oppulent than i first thought.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #16
Ensign

Thanx for the advice JeanP... as I am a bit of a Library Philistine..I have no idea who "Michener" is but I will hunt the book down for Sky and Kaige to read.

Cartoon.. I have heard the same but hope that with some local advice and a shallow draught we should be able to scrape through...

I take cogniscance of all the advice and some of the negative issues regarding the ICW but as we are South Africans.. we still have to get to know the USA and its people.. I have only had one trip there for meetings at Orange County Choppers in Montgomery and a few days in New York..

Shandy my wife grew up there and lived on Balboa Island near Newport Beach ... so I need time to ease into it..

I have read Bumfuzzle and there are great sites for same sort of news.. also a site somewhere for family called "Pickers" in Thailand I think...

I have spent the last 4 years reading as much as I can and searching the internet to pieces..., I have a external hard drive with where I save info on countries , marinas , maps , tips , advice . DIY maintenance innfo etc etc etc exclusively. I scan articles and info and save this under a list of countries that we will want to visit..

When I started with this I never thought that I would learn so much and gather so many tips just from reading blogs.. forums and cruising logs written by other people.

Take care and Thanx again

Douw

Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #17

Sorry, I forgot that you're not American. James A. Michener wrote historical novels spanning multiple generations. ALASKA, CHESAPEAKE, CARIBBEAN, POLAND, etc. As I said, I'm not a fan of his style of writing, but they give a pretty good historical background to the areas he wrote about, though I believe that they should all be taken with a grain of salt.

People talk about the Bumfuzzles as clueless people who managed to circumnavigate without really knowing how they did it. After reading their blogs and such, I think they were having us all on a bit. They certainly are more capable than I or many others originally gave them credit for. Their big mistake seems to be buying a seriously flawed boat, either because they did not have a survey done, or the survey was inadequate. Whatever, they clearly enjoyed themselves and did what I believe all cruisers should be sure to do, and that is, tour more of a country than where their boat can take them. There is so much of this world that we all ought to see, and as much as we can see by boat, there's probably five times as much that we can only see by land transportation away from the boat.

I wish you joy.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #18
Admiral

Just to add a little more info for Douw and our other South African friends: James A Michener also wrote a book about South Africa called The Covenant.

"A fast-paced saga weaves fact and fiction in a journey through fifteen thousand years of South African history, focusing on Willem van Doorn and ten generations of his descendants as they live through the region's endless racial conflicts. "

It is quite an interesting book but, as it was published in 1980, it was probably on the list of books not permitted in RSA at that time. If you like James A. Michener's style, it is worth reading. IMHO his best book is "Caravan" but, like Jeanne, I do not find his style especially apealing but, on the other hand, many do.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #19
Ensign

Must be age getting to me... and maybe I should try the nonchalant... "Oh that Michener"...

But I was in fact just being me...head down at the grinding stone.....

I have read the Covenant and did enjoy it for the historic reference.. although I too feel that you need a "bag" of salt to get around some "fact" and references..

I will look for the book mentioned ..

Thanx for info everyone..

Cheers

Douw
Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #20
Lieutenant

yeah i suspect the bumfuzzle folks did a LOT of reading (1 sailing lesson) he seemed to fall right into things AT SEA without explaining any sort of "how i learned this". Plus look at their budget. they had plenty of ducats. they seem like they're pretty sharp in general, to be able to do this sort of thing at their age (BANK), means they had to be, IMO, uncommonly successful at something. Hope they didn't 'rape' retirees or something. though i haven't read about any indictments so far in the blog...dunno maybe they're on the lam? they sure spend somewhat more money at sea than i had projected (so far).

Michener wrote "Hawaii" right? that was a book in our home library growing up i remember. i never read it (i do read), i tend to like guy writers more...im a guy. chicks and their flowery details...sheesh. not that there's anything wrong with that!

orange county choppers? the TV show folks? you getting a custom chopper for your davit? i have a stroker shovel (93") FLH '82. i call it my road sofa. GREAT for beach cruising...in NC...not SC (too crowded there).
Old 04-01-2008, 06:01 AM   #21

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartooncorpse View Post
yeah i suspect the bumfuzzle folks did a LOT of reading (1 sailing lesson) he seemed to fall right into things AT SEA without explaining any sort of "how i learned this". Plus look at their budget. they had plenty of ducats. they seem like they're pretty sharp in general, to be able to do this sort of thing at their age (BANK), means they had to be, IMO, uncommonly successful at something. Hope they didn't 'rape' retirees or something. though i haven't read about any indictments so far in the blog...dunno maybe they're on the lam? they sure spend somewhat more money at sea than i had projected (so far).
If you look around on their website, you'll learn that he was a successful commodities trader in Chicago and she was an admin assistant with a law firm. He states that they lived on her salary so he could do the trading and had the good fortune of being a good trader. I suspect he's quite sharp and they have a tidy little nest egg. They seem to pick up on things quite easily. Several of their posts had my husband and I rolling in laughter because they'd do some silly thing, realize it was silly, remedy it, and then poke fun at themselves for having done it. It seems they were picking up on how to do things as they go along. Good entertainment.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote