Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Phuket
Default Long Time No Sea & Advice Requested

Long Time No Sea & Pacific Crossing Safety Advice

It's been over 10 years since my last sailing adventure (1 mo. Bahamas trip in a tiny West Wight Potter) but it appears the stars have aligned themselves again, and it's time for an even bigger adventure (see: sailingyarn.com) and I need the help of the sailing veterans in the group. The task/challenge is: safely getting a small sailing yacht from NYC to Phuket Thailand.

FIRST QUESTION - Weather faxes via SSB or Sat phones seem like a great safety development, but the question is: can I safely cross the pacific by choosing the right season / weather window (or by any other method) and avoid the resulting added expense of these amazing new technologies? Like many Ragabons, I'm on a very limited budget. Apparently, according to "anyone in their right mind," I shouldn't even be thinking about such an adventure given the limitations of my financial situation.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Many people have sailed across oceans without modern sophisticated technology. The only important things are knowledge and the capability to transfer knowledge into action, and a boat which is capable of keeping you safe irrespective of the conditions.

Many have sailed in boats as small as 12 feet. And, the South Pacific may be a better crossing bet than the North Pacific, before island hopping to Thailand from northern Australia. When I started sailing I had a sextant, a Radio Direction Finder, a depth sounder and a HF radio. I don't believe I was any more at risk than I am today with all the modern bits and pieces which now adorn my nav station.

I would not make a crossing on anything smaller than 36'. That is not for any other reason than comfort aboard. I prefer a longer keel with the rudder hung directly on the keel. I like wheel steering, but on a smaller boat a tiller makes a lot of sense...and there is little to go wrong. Beef up the rigging, make sure deck hatches and portholes are of a quality, and fitted, to withstand green water. Spend time to ensure the companionway hatch is waterproof and that it has storm boards which can keep out a cockpit filled with water. Enlarge the cockpit drains to help it clear quickly. Buy some books, spare spectacles, lots of noodles and a book by Lin and Larry Pardey called Cruising on a Budget.

There is a lot more, but it's not rocket science. Work out how much you care about yourself and then go about making a platform which respects that level of care.

Keep us informed and good luck. It's a lot of fun (mostly).

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

It's more about the limitations of the sailor than finances. Seems like you may be a little inexperienced for the journey if you haven't sailed in 10 years. No gadget will keep you safe, and if you're considering calling for help via satphone you've already got the wrong attitude.

Having said that, going in the right season is far more important than weather information under way. I don't know that run but on a map it seems to be halfway round the world so will take a lot of time and planning, and unless you go through the Panama Canal you'll also be going against the prevailing trade winds.

Just how small a boat are we talking about here anyhow? And why not just fly to Thailand and buy a yacht there?

At the very least, consider shipping her overland to the left coast and starting from a sensible place ...

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Many people have sailed across oceans without modern sophisticated technology. The only important things are knowledge and the capability to transfer knowledge into action, and a boat which is capable of keeping you safe irrespective of the conditions.

Many have sailed in boats as small as 12 feet. And, the South Pacific may be a better crossing bet than the North Pacific, before island hopping to Thailand from northern Australia. When I started sailing I had a sextant, a Radio Direction Finder, a depth sounder and a HF radio. I don't believe I was any more at risk than I am today with all the modern bits and pieces which now adorn my nav station.

I would not make a crossing on anything smaller than 36'. That is not for any other reason than comfort aboard. I prefer a longer keel with the rudder hung directly on the keel. I like wheel steering, but on a smaller boat a tiller makes a lot of sense...and there is little to go wrong. Beef up the rigging, make sure deck hatches and portholes are of a quality, and fitted, to withstand green water. Spend time to ensure the companionway hatch is waterproof and that it has storm boards which can keep out a cockpit filled with water. Enlarge the cockpit drains to help it clear quickly. Buy some books, spare spectacles, lots of noodles and a book by Lin and Larry Pardey called Cruising on a Budget.

There is a lot more, but it's not rocket science. Work out how much you care about yourself and then go about making a platform which respects that level of care.

Keep us informed and good luck. It's a lot of fun (mostly).
Thanks for the input Auzzee. I'm considering doing it on an Island Packet 29 (LOA 32'), and yes, I was planning on making the cocoanut milk run in the South, via the Panama Canal probably in Feb of 2018. I was thinking of riding out the end of the 2017 hurricane season on the South West Coast of Florida and then start making my way South through the Caribbean towards Panama in January of 2018. Plenty of chance to work out the kinks on the way down the East coast in the Summer of 2017
Old 01-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
It's more about the limitations of the sailor than finances. Seems like you may be a little inexperienced for the journey if you haven't sailed in 10 years. No gadget will keep you safe, and if you're considering calling for help via satphone you've already got the wrong attitude.

Having said that, going in the right season is far more important than weather information under way. I don't know that run but on a map it seems to be halfway round the world so will take a lot of time and planning, and unless you go through the Panama Canal you'll also be going against the prevailing trade winds.

Just how small a boat are we talking about here anyhow? And why not just fly to Thailand and buy a yacht there?

At the very least, consider shipping her overland to the left coast and starting from a sensible place ...
Question 1 - 32'
Question 2- I've addressed that issue in the website I've referenced.
Shipping across the USA =$10,000 $18,000 to ship to Singapore
Old 01-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amani Jnana View Post
Question 1 - 32'
That's pretty tiny. I'm considering a circumnavigation of Australia in a Hartley Tasman 27'er (30' LOA) and wouldn't dream of taking it across the Pacific, if only for the fact that I probably couldn't fit enough supplies aboard. Then again Webb Chiles is doing his sixth circumnavigation in a Moore 24 so anything is possible.

Quote:
Question 2- I've addressed that issue in the website I've referenced.
Sorry, can see any such link here.

Quote:
Shipping across the USA =$10,000 $18,000 to ship to Singapore
Freow. That's a lot of cash.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:27 AM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

If you are going along the Florida coast, take a quick detour to the east through the Abacos, Turks and Caicos, Eleuthera etc. It would be a shame to miss them while you are in the vicinity. The water is crystal clear, almost uniformly 10' deep and the locals are friendly. And, Marsh Harbour and Great Harbour Cay are probably better hurricane holes than the west coast of Florida. Although Key West is pretty good fun!

I had a Spacesailer 28 at one stage and I would have happily sailed it anywhere in the world. The main problems in such relatively small boats, at least for me, are the size of the bathroom, very small toilet/shower/hand basin...and small galley. Otherwise, they have an adequate cockpit, sizeable berth for a good night's sleep, and headroom, usually, to about 6'2".

And so, to the smaller Island Packet. This is the American equivalent, when it comes to tough little ocean crossers, to the Hans Christian as far as I am concerned. It's a full-on cruising boat with ocean crossing capability...and pedigree. The thing is, people seem to really look after these boats and, following a quick visit to Yachtworld, it would appear that a good, ocean ready 29 can be had for about $65k. That's a lot for a 30' yacht, but considering the use you have for it, it represents good value for money.

I wish you well.

PS. If you click on my profile name, then on photo album 'unknown' and scroll through, you will see a six foot yacht that a great Japanese sailor, Kennichi Hori, sailed across the pacific.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote