Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi all! I'm new to this website but not to sailing, although I haven't been on the water as much the past few years as I would like. I started sailing about 15 years ago in Southern California, but life and career change finds me living and working in Guangzhou China. I would like to get hooked up with sailors in the area, but outside of Hong Kong there isn't much recreational sailing in China (yet that is - it's catching on!!). Fortunately I am just a few hours flight away from Thailand and Malaysia and would love to do some cruising there over the summer. Any suggestions on routes in SE Asia and/or charter companies and/or boats looking for crew would be greatly appreicated. Anyway Happy New Year's to all and I'm looking forward to making friends through this site.

Cheers

Michelle

Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard and good luck.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard. I took a look at the Google map--it looks like you are on a waterway to a large bay and then to the sea. Are there not even a few "small boat" clubs on the river/waterway? Is it quite industrial? I know when we lived in a suburb of Tokyo,Japan, we were a few short kilometers to the sea--but there was no way to launch a boat there Too industrial. There may have been clubs (surely there were) but I didn't know of any.

If it is NOT extremely industrial and if small boats are on the Pearl? river/waterway, it would be very tempting to procure/build a small dingy for sailing or even a small keelboat.

A nice shot of the river at night was here My link

There was a small boat regatta held nearby, too LINK Big winds and waves for such little boats. I think these serious racers were having lots of fun.

Looking forward to hearing more about both your local boating conditions and your plans for cruising further away from there.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaudermilk View Post

Hi all! I'm new to this website but not to sailing, although I haven't been on the water as much the past few years as I would like. I started sailing about 15 years ago in Southern California, but life and career change finds me living and working in Guangzhou China. I would like to get hooked up with sailors in the area, but outside of Hong Kong there isn't much recreational sailing in China (yet that is - it's catching on!!). Fortunately I am just a few hours flight away from Thailand and Malaysia and would love to do some cruising there over the summer. Any suggestions on routes in SE Asia and/or charter companies and/or boats looking for crew would be greatly appreicated. Anyway Happy New Year's to all and I'm looking forward to making friends through this site.

Cheers

Michelle
Hello Michelle,

Welcome to Cruiser Log,

The friendliest yacht club in Hong Kong is the HEBE HAVEN YACHT CLUB - situated in Pak Sha Wan - Shelter Bay off Hiram's Highway in the New Territories. C L I C K

Not hard to get to using HK's Transport - here's a good link which gives good info :-

H E R E.

In Langkawi (West Malaysia) Good sailing out of the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club - Sunsail have boats there for charter. Not far away is Telaga, also on Langkawi where I have friends who charter their catamaran - I can supply reference and detail if required. Best way to get there (and least expensive) is by Air Asia H E R E

Richard
Old 01-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Ensign

Great photo of the Pearl River! Yes, it is pretty industrial along the river in Guangzhou and finding a sailing club here has been challenging - either they don't exist or I can't find out about them because my Chinese is very limited. I did find something on the internet about a dingy club in Shenzhen (about an hour's train ride from here) but not sure how active they are. Hong Kong is about two hours by train and I know there are several yacht and sailing clubs there. It's just a matter of finding a club that is affordable on a teacher's salary :-).

Thanks, Richard, for the info on Langkawi - ironically I was just there for the Christmas holiday! Waters look great for sailing and I did manage to do a guided day sail on a chartered catamaran (not the same as actually doing the sailing though.) Really looking forward for a chance to get back there, so will probably be asking about your friends in the near future.

Hope everyone is having a great New Year's day!

Cheers

Michelle