Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Ensign

I live in montana, USA. We have like.. a couple small lakes around. and thats about it. But i really want to learn how to sail. So iv decided that i am going to build a landyacht or if i can ill build a cardboard boat (iv done this before in competition) that can hold a sail. Im here to learn anything about sailing anyone wants to throw at me! And if anyone has any ideas for a cheap (CHEAP! I am in college.. need all the money i can get) way to build something, let me know!

Chiko

Old 06-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikokishi View Post
I live in montana, USA. We have like.. a couple small lakes around. and thats about it. But i really want to learn how to sail. So iv decided that i am going to build a landyacht or if i can ill build a cardboard boat (iv done this before in competition) that can hold a sail. Im here to learn anything about sailing anyone wants to throw at me! And if anyone has any ideas for a cheap (CHEAP! I am in college.. need all the money i can get) way to build something, let me know!

Chiko
Hi Chiko!

You can try the PD Racer.....my first homebuilt boat , "Aparador", was inspired by the boxboat!

http://punzalane.multiply.com/photos/album...arador_Sailboat

Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Ensign

Oh thats cool! I found the Pdracer yesterday, really considering it. Now, as for a sail... I of course dont have money to buy a real one or anything. But i have a huge piece of builders plastic (milky plastic used to cover this temporarily during rain) and i have like.. one wooden 1x2 and i found a piece of metal that is T shaped and like 13 feet long. And then i found a dowel rod that is flat toward one side. so i though, why dont i use the dowel for the base, add the wood, then add the super long aluminum (i think?) T spar going up. That way its light atleast.

Anyway heres is the question: Does the entire sail assembly turn or just the sail itself turn? I mean.. should i make my mast not turn able, or should i make my boom ridged against my mast and they turn together? Im confused, and i cant find any homemade masts online.. maybe im looking for the wrong thing?

Chiko