Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Hi All, newbie to this site from David, my wife, daughter, crew, Topsail, our bearded collie and other livestock living on the indonesian schooner RIMA in camiguin island, philippines. We have been cruising around Indonesia and the Philippines for the past 3 years. Our liveaboard schooner is 72 ft length but extended to 95 ft with a 25ft bowsprit. She was built in Bira, Sulawesi of ironwood and teak and around 59 dwt. I have recently added the bowsprit to increase the sail plan to 3 jibs, main sail and topsail, mizzen and topsail and two staysails between main and mizzen, inspired by the sailing trawlers from Hull, UK in the 1890s.

We basically survive financially by doing charter voyages around the Philippines and Sabah, sunset cruises from camiguin and operating a watersports resort in Camiguin - seakayaking, wakeboarding, diving etc.

I retired 10 years ago after 30 years service in the British merchant navy and several years trying my luck at fishing in the english channel. Got fed up with the cold and government regulations in the UK, so moved to the Philippines to join my filippina partner and never regret a moment of it.

we have plans to sail south again to Papua, Solomons and Queensland, Australia but waiting for my daughter to complete her studies. We don't get many cruising yachts in the Philippines especially this far south near Mindanao, but I have found that the threats to tourists and yachtsmen are negilible. It is, to me one of the most beautiful archipelagos in the world with over 7000 islands. The filippinos are very friendly and hospitable and great to sail with. If anyone planning a voyage to the the Philippines I can try to offer advice -

Happy days from david and crew RIMA, Camiguin.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Lieutenant

]Kumusta David,

Welcome from an Aussie married to a Filipina.

Love to see some pics of your boat (ship). I agree Philippino people are very hospitable and friendly, sure there is crime there, but tell me a place where there is none !!!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard David and crew. Good to have you here and that you can assist with info about the region. Perhaps you can (when you have some spare time) add what you can to the Philippines section on the Cruising Wiki.

Make yourself at home.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Ensign

David, sounds like you are living the dream my man. Great boat , great family and a great mutt. I agree, put some pics up for us to enjoy!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Hi Guys

Still not been able to get any digi images of my new sailing rig - extended bowsprit, 3 jibs, 2 topsails and new colour scheme on to my laptop ( I am still computer illiterate) but have a web site showing an old foto 2009 layout of my boat. Anyone interested its www.lagunalodgecamiguin.com. We always extend a warm welcome to anyone visiting camiguin in the philippines. Hopefully we will be crusing to Northeast Borneo (sabah) to visit the Orang Otang reserves and to the Giant Turtle Marine National Park, south Palawan, Philippines in mid may, then returning via El Nido and Boracay, Philippines before the SW Monsoon sets in.

Jib.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: christchurch
Vessel Name: stella

thanks for the thread. i am sailing there early next year, have been all over philipines except for palawan, my wife is from cebu. we plan to set our base there and sail philipines and asia ,
i loved camiguin especialy a small village on the west side always pictured my yacht anchored there, i sail a corbin 39 pilot house cutter.plan to leave nz in early april and arive by july in cebu.
will be travelling with our two dogs, my wife will be flying as she struggles with the long passages.
i do have a lot of questions for you wonder if you can give me your email
cheers brian tennant
Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #7

Home Port: t

Hi, I would like to see your pictures of the philippines from your camera and from the other places you've been, CHEERS!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: christchurch
Vessel Name: stella

hi again
i tried your web site but seems to have been disabled, any way of contacting you
brian t cheers