Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi, new to this forum. Based in Cape Town. I will be delivering a Leopard 46 cat starting in July from Bahamas to Miami to Fiji. Or possibily Sydney!

I'm looking for input on whether it is best to leave Cuba to port or starboard? The mileage is pretty similar though once past Cuba using the windward passage the sailing is probably easier. But that chanel between Cuba and Bahamas looks VERY narrow. We are used to deep and wide oceans here in South Africa! Given that it's the beginning of hurrican season bolt holes are important.

From what I've read people swear blind by one route or the other...

I'd also be happy to hear about routes/ advice accross the Pacific. Planning on hopping from Panama to Marquesas in one go - madness?

Cheers

No Rush

Old 04-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Rush View Post

I'd also be happy to hear about routes/ advice accross the Pacific. Planning on hopping from Panama to Marquesas in one go - madness?

Cheers

No Rush
The Latitude 38 "Pacific Puddle Jump" leaves from mostly Puerto Vallarta but some folks leave from Panama to the Marquesas in one hop. Done by numerous cruising boats every year--take a look at the list of boats and departure locations/dates. Most folks coming out of Panama wouldn't want to pass up the Galapagos, though. If "No Rush" what's the rush?

However--when will this trip begin? Most Puddle Jumpers are jumping now. You're still in Florida and haven't passed through the Panama Canal yet? Are you planning on the Pacific next year and doing some time in the Caribbean this year?

Tell us more about your plans.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000

From the Bahamas I would round Cuba's east coast for a straight shot to Panama.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
Admiral

I agree that rounding Cuba's East coast is a good idea. Remember, in the Caribbean, you never want to give up any easting. Let yourself be driven west and it's a really tough slog to get back east again. There's plenty of room there.

Why Bahamas to Miami to Panama? To provision first?

I don't suggest you consider Haiti a place to bolt to. In the best of circumstances it's pretty sad, and now it's distressingly poor.

Almost everybody makes a straight shot from North or Central America to the Marquesas. A different route might be Galapagos, Easter Island, Pitcairn Island, the Gambier Islands, then either a second detour to the Austral Islands before arriving in Tahiti. You know, of course, that you must leave French Polynesia by November - no exceptions - and you really, really want to be either in the doldrums near the equator or Australia or NZ by December 1 for cyclone season.

What a shame that you are getting such a late start smack dab in the beginning of hurricane season.

Fair winds,

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the responses. Leaving Cuba to port/ using the Windward passage makes sense. The reason for the timing is that it's a delivery so I go when I go... And via Miami to collect a dinghy & outboard. On the plus side when I get to the Pacific islands proper I'll be at the correct time of year. Any thoughts on bolt holes going down the Carribean? It's gonna be August/ hurricanes.

Cheers

Tags
florida