Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Ensign

Good morning - at least here on Poros island, Greece,

well, actually I did just put my boots on (it's dripping here) for to go downtown. So, just a brief I.D.: me karl, built in '54

new member working with boats for 30 years now here in greece, most of these years with sailing-boats, but after my 50es birthday I changed totally to cruisers, that's less exhausting, specially when with crew.

Next time I'll send a photo of my boat, a 34 m all wooden cruiser, former torpedo-boat, built in England in 1948, and one of my byce, a BMW with boat (side-car) called HERACLES. He (or she?) is just one year older than me and was hundreds of times photographed by people from all over the world.

So, you got to know me and already about my main passion and occupation: classics and the sea.

Surprised? I don't suppose so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	my_ga.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	707

Old 11-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard Karl! Good to have you with us. In fact, I am wondering if you are my twin? I was also launched 1954 and love the classics - both musical and literature.

Lovely ship ýou have. Can you tell us more about her history?

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Karl - good to have you here with us and I am sure that you have much to teach us.

Make yourself at home here.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

G'Day Carl,

Love your yacht. Truly classic. Must be lots of work but guess thats part of the fun.

Good to have you aboard.

JOHN
Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Welcome aboard Karl! Good to have you with us. In fact, I am wondering if you are my twin? I was also launched 1954 and love the classics - both musical and literature.

Aye // Stephen
Late answer, but I wanted to get my new homepage ready, so that I do not have to talk, talk, talk much: Have a look at www.hellasmarina.com (still work in progress, but at least 1st page visitable - my boats, my terrace, my marina, my club, my island - sounds like a yuppy, but I am everything else than that and actually just managing these things, and of course not the whole island - hence - when you come to Poros and enter any of the many taxi-cars or taxi-boats, just say:"Karl", and they will bring you to my terrace - over land or on sea - or they answer: "Sorry Sire, Karl is just traveling; will be back, as he told us, next week".

I was quite disappointed not (yet?) to find hellasmarina.com (or .eu , nore .gr) on Google, but what I found, was hellasmarina, karl54 with the dot.com of cruiserlog. So all I say to that is: Google - and: cruiserlog - and therefore: Google!

karl54

Poros island, 17.02.09, 20:15 h (=greeeenitch+2)

P.S.: In Attach what was just still missing in "my boats, my ..." was: my vehicle. See attachClick image for larger version

Name:	motorrad.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	823
Old 02-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

Welcome aboard Karl - good to have you here with us and I am sure that you have much to teach us.

Make yourself at home here.
Thank You for the welcome!

I have nothing to teach, more likly my sentece is: Experiance is the name, man has given to his mistakes. Have a look, if you like, on my new homepage www.hellasmarina.com - work on it not yet finished, but so far main page o.k., and when you happen to look at it in beginning of March again (should be all fixed by then, latest), you will meet this sentence again.

Much more interesting I consider your piracy map, as I plan to spend coming winter on - well, not at Gulf of Aden, but on river Nile with my boat (introduction pages of cruise program will appear soon on my homepage). Am seeking, by the by, as much information for that, as ever possible.

Have a look at my answer to "Navsikaa", so I can save energy in NOT repeating myself. I extended my self set timelimit in spending (wasting?) lifetime in front of screen (hence it is radar- or plotterscreen) already today and - as I was strongly educated - still have to answer one of this community (as I once did decide to join it)

Nevertheless, thank you for welcoming me

karl54

Poros island

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Hi Karl

Is this where you are - on the Cruising Wiki ?

But, where exactly is your marina?

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome Karl

Golden Arrow looks beautiful. I too love the classics, the sea, and old motorcycles. My boat is now wintering in Leros. Maybe we will meet either in Poros or in the E. Aegean.

Χαιρετσμούς

Vasilis

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post

Aye // Stephen
Now, finally, I got a moment time to answer your question (see above):

It is actually not much I know - yet, as I have got the yacht just a vew months ago. Co-owner is the former only owner, now 80 years old, he was for 18 years of his working life the captain on the yacht of prince Raignier of Monaco, and his son, abit younger than myself, he is the captain of the boat, grew up on her and wants to stay with her for the rest of his life - which suits me very well.

World War II was over, Britain almost bankrupt by all these on-war-expences, had to refuse to take and pay last ordered torpedo-boat of - donīt ask me what class, letīs say that sery of torpedo-boats built during war for to fight the bloody Germans. So, yard was in trouble, what to do with that ready built hull - letīs finish her to a luxury yacht and try to sell it thus to s.o. welloff, as such are always existing and fluid, in the opposite, some of those double their wealth especially during wars.

Length 112 ft at a draft of only 5.7 ft. Powered by two Glenifer DC 8 of only 160 hp each on a max. speed of only 11 knots, but a range of 2,200 miles. Which means she can go round the world on its own keel, and I am not in a hurry. My plan is to go to visite the big rivers of the globe, step by step and always on charter (otherwise, who should pay all the expences for this several years journey?). After this yearīs season in the Kyclades, which will be repeated in other areas of the Aegean during the following summers, there will be a several up-and-down River Nile during coming winter (got engaged already an elder Greek, who was borne at Alexandria, had once a diving shool in the Red Sea and speaks fluent Arabic and English). Next than will be Mecong, I am seeking information for that. For safety I got the boat "rearmored" (I am of Military-Aristokracy - hence not navy, familyīs tradition is scouts, former husars, the "pirats on land", actually, my grandfather was a close friend of Count Luckner, if that name tells you something - and have been trained on shooting from when I was 12 years onwards). So the guests on my boat can rely on not only be served in highest trainment and education, but as well can be sure to be safer guarded, than in any other place they might walk or sit or sleep.

Thatīs all I can tell you - to this thema.

For to put here on this form the promised photo of my island vehicle, I better add it in a seperate attempt, as I am not sure if it comes through (the Greek capacity for sending data is very limited, and I know too little about PC and net for to judge, if sending via internet or e-mail is having the same limits.

So, next mail no blabla, but "let pictures speak"

karl54