Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi, Just a quick post to say thanks for everyone offering me advice in a previous thread "Strong Boats" I've had an offer accepted on a tired looking Contessa 26, so, subject to the survey not throwing up anything really horrible she's mine!

Now, can anyone tell me how to get the mast down, fit new rigging, (including standing rigging) and then raise the mast and secure the rigging, gulp! She's on the Isle of Man.

I also want to fit a roller furler to the head sail, i assume this will need to be done at the same time as the rigging.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
P1020688.jpg  

Old 05-19-2008, 02:40 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestmichael View Post
Hi, Just a quick post to say thanks for everyone offering me advice in a previous thread "Strong Boats" I've had an offer accepted on a tired looking Contessa 26, so, subject to the survey not throwing up anything really horrible she's mine!

Now, can anyone tell me how to get the mast down, fit new rigging, (including standing rigging) and then raise the mast and secure the rigging, gulp! She's on the Isle of Man.

I also want to fit a roller furler to the head sail, i assume this will need to be done at the same time as the rigging.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Michael
I suppose your survey showed that you need new standing rigging? Else, why are you replacing it? Are you taking down the mast because you're moving the boat or because you've got the impression that you must replace the standing rigging?

On getting the mast down, usually one can have that done quickly, easily, on a small boat by calling up a local rigger to help you. Get the rigger's rate for the work to be done, you may be very pleasantly surprised. You may also wish to go online and find if there is a owner's group for your boat and ask for specific advice there. look here: http://www.contessa26.net/

You can get all kinds of good info here: http://briontoss.com/

This fellow is a rigger who teaches classes on rigging and has a message board called spartalk where many good things are discussed. I would suggest that you purchase a book or two on rigging. The fellow whose website I linked to also has a reference book called the Riggers Apprentice that I highly recommend.

There a a few other good books out there (one called "Cruising Rigs and Rigging" by Ross Norgrove. You will have to purchase it used, though.

There's lots of info out there about rigging. If your knowledge is really slim, you would be very well served to pick up the Norgrove book via Amazon.com or another vendor of used books; its an easy read.

Good luck with your new boat!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Furler--

yes, one that has a hard foil is easy to do at same time as standing rigging. This type does furling as well as reefing. You can also put a furler on that only furls (not reefing) at any time. The first type requires that your sail be modified to use the foil; the second type can (depending on maker) use the hanked on sails that you already have.

Your boat is small enough that you probably don't even need a reefing furler (its just another bit of gear to stop working), IMHO.

Good luck!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote