Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Gibraltar
Default New guy in town

First of all, HI EVERYBODY. As I said I'm the new guy arround here ( you have seen a lot of us in time...i'm sure). I'm so new and so not english(my grammar will prove that very soon) and offcourse I have tones of questions. I'm reading this forum and some others for months now. I decided only few days ago to join you and took me some other days to start bodering you.I'm not a real seaman as you will find out anyway but willing to learn and to start a new life on sea. I allready started to learn from reading this forum and others. I have no experience at all( my year spend sailing kids boats in week-ends- Optimist class+ some small sailing boats under 22 feet in college... can't be named experience) but I want to sail. I spend 40 years on land allready and feels too much... maybe I will explain why latter. I decided to sell my home, buy a sailing boat and go arround, and maybe in time(1-2 years), gaining enough experience, I will be able to do a circumnavigation. I allready said I will sell my house but that will be about 100,000 USD so, i will have to buy a boat with no more than 50,000 USD(eventual repairs and upgrades included) and keep the rest for how many years of freedom they will can buy.I allready readed "How to make money while cruising", so I have some answers( tones of more questions, but that will be another time, another place). I don't want to think about that yet... BUYING A GOOD BOAT is my concern now( after selling the house...but that will happen eventually).
So my dream boat will be like this:
-nice interior, aft cabin is a must
-sails considerably better in light winds
-big water tanks, average fuel(I don't want to spend much money on fuel, but i like to have a good engine for, let's say...just in case)
-comfort and safety
-furling headsail(don't remember the english nautical name)
-all lines in cockpit
-easy single handed
-solar panels(maybe a wind generator for "just in case")
-Compass, Log, Wind speed, good Radar,VHFGPS, Chart plotter, Autopilot, Clock, Barometer, Navigation lights, Fish Finder (not a must but if it is it is), AIS, Echosounder( or you call it depthsounder?)
-Liferaft or/and a dingy with outboard engine( for from anchorage to shore trips)
-Life jackets
-Life buoys
-EPIRB -
-Cooker, Sink(maybe a double), Fridge,Freezer, Carpet, Air conditioning(will be fine but not a must), Cabin heating, Pressurised water system,Hot water system
-Handbasin& Shower with hot water,Head (bellow decks)
electric windlass, at least 2 anchors(preferable 3-4, because i think...i heard that 4 point anchoring in storm can be usefull)
Long list, but is the list I've made reading and thinking about the subject in the last 2 years. I bring my own girl anyway .

I'M, OPEN TO SUGESTIONS, ADVISES ETC.ETC.ETC.,
Andy.
Only good winds from aft....is a saying in my country.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Andy and welcome. It seems that you have a good idea of what you want and, in parts of the world you should be able to buy a good boat which meets your criteria for the price you wish to pay.

In all seriousness, I think you will be better served to look at boats for sale in the US and Mexico. You will get far better value..and a far superior boat, that you will if you keep your search to Europe and the Mediterranean.

It's a cliche but all boats are a compromise. You want an aft cabin but want a boat which performs best in light air. An aft cockpit, wide transom and a flat bottom will give you better light air performance, but, if you want to cross oceans, a full keel, narrow beam and narrow stern will serve you better. If you are in a boat of say 36', that makes the aft cabin more like an aft cupboard with a berth in it.

Water tank capacity is not so critical these days with the advent of good reliable water makers, carpet is not such a good idea on a voyaging boat, and the newer 12v refrigeration units are economical and very efficient and, nece4ssary on as cruising boat. Cabin heaters are relatively common but airconditioning can be very fickle indeed and may be more trouble and expense than it is worth.

Anyway, the dream remains and it is a good one. If you login to Yachtworld.com and provide a set of search criteria, the site will send you a list of available boats (worldwide) which meet those criteria and as you look, you will find that you will modify your search with time and ultimately you will find the boat of your dreams.

There is great depth of experience here in CL and if you have any questions about sailing or boats in general you can be sure there is someone here who has faced and resolved the same question in the past. It's a great resource and we sincerely hope you will use it as often as you need.
Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
Ensign

@Auzzee
Thank you very much for welcoming and advices.
Is probably my second year looking for a boat. At the begining was just to be informed when the day will come...now became serious( my home is on the market as we speak). I noticed that boats in US are cheaper than Europe. My problem is that I live in Europe in a country member of EU. I will have to register my boat in Gibraltar and fly the red ensign because in my eastern european country and its regulations will be to bodering, expensive and they change rooles to often. As EU citizen I can register the boat easylly in Gibraltar on my name without a company and other expensive tricks.
It is easy and not so expensive for me to go an see the boats in Europe. I think will be cheaper to pay someone to bring me the boat(I told you I'm not a saylor yet) to Gibraltar to register it there than from US ( I think...) and to sail with this person and see how to handle my boat and everything.
Let's say I buy the boat from US... I will probably fly the red ensign also but after some research I couldn't find out if the regulations are the same as in Gibraltar(EU citizen can register boat in his name without company trick), what is the annual fee etc.(Can you answer me those questions?).
The original plan was the red ensign on Gibraltar if I find my boat in Europe or red ensign in Bahamas if I buy from USA and to learn to sail(by myself trying+books+sites...) before cross the Atlantic to Caraibes or Med(depends where the boat will be). What do you think?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Ensign

I see that Bahamas states than they register s/v over 12 meters= 40'
Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Ensign

My question is that Bahamas or Gibraltar have regulations about how big your boat must be to be registered. I readed somewhere that in Bahamas the minimum LOA is 12 metters(40 feets)... it is correct?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #6
Ensign

No answers?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Admiral

I recently bought a boat in the Americas. It was US registered and has never been to Australia. However, as I am an Australian national, I was easily able to register my new boat with the Australian authorities.

I imagine this is the case with most countries, including Gibralter.

So, why not check with Gib authorities and ask them if you can register a new boat in Gibralter, even if it is currently registered in the US, Canada, Mexico etc?

I don't know anything about the Gibralter system, but in Australia, and in England and the US (I understand) there is a difference between registering a boat for local ownership, and placing it on the National Shipping Registry. It is the latter which you want and the location of the boat should make little difference.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Ensign

In Gibraltar is easy to register a boat as an EU citizen. Bahamas is Red Ensign also, but my question was is in Bahamas they have a requirement about a minimum 12 meters(40') LOA to register a yacht or not. Bahamas is closer if you buy a boat from US or Mexico and as EU citizen a will have to leave US in 90 days.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Muscle Rev Xtreme

Home Port: delhi
Vessel Name: Anil kumar

Hi Andy welcome to the forum. I hope you are having a good time here and getting accustomed to the other members here. I wish you a enjoyable stay. BTW you have a very impressive specifications for your boat. I hope you get on with it very soon
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Admiral

It appears (quick search of maritime requirements in Bahamian waters) that pleasure vessels which are not to be used for commercial purposes can be easily registered in the Bahamas and, there is no requirement for import, for small boats which will be used outside of Bahamian waters. In this instance there appears to be no minimum length requirement.

I don't understand the requirement you have for proximity (ie. Bahamas is closer), as there is no requirement to be in the Bahamas. As far as the 90 days maximum stay in the US is concerned, this is only the case under the 90 day Visa Waiver Program. In this instance you cannot re-enter the US after leaving, even if you just duck down to Mexico to look at a boat after 2 days in the US. So, you would be restricted to looking in the US only, unless you buy a boat in Mexico and decide to depart from Mexico without re-entering the US.

The sensible option is to apply for a 6 monthUS tourist visa which allows for multiple entries and costs just $25 (At least this is the cost for Australian citizens). You then get to stay for longer, you can look in the US, Canada, Central and South America and in the Caribbean.

Additionally, upon entry to Mexico you will automatically receive a 180 day Visa on Arrival.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkumar View Post
Hi Andy welcome to the forum. I hope you are having a good time here and getting accustomed to the other members here. I wish you a enjoyable stay. BTW you have a very impressive specifications for your boat. I hope you get on with it very soon
Thank you. I did a lot o research. I'm reading a lot about and I did a list with what I think necessary for liveaboard and cruising long distances, ocean crossing and so on. I know that i want much for less money but who knows...maybe i'll get lucky.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post

I don't understand the requirement you have for proximity (ie. Bahamas is closer), as there is no requirement to be in the Bahamas.
I was thinking that I'm not much of a saylor and if I will find my dreamboat in USA or Mexico , Bahamas is closer than Gibraltar for registering the boat. If i will buy from Europe...then Gibraltar is the right option.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Ensign

I found lots of Hunter 310 in the USA...what about those? Are they good cruisers? Are they fit for ocean crossing ....circumnavigation ?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Admiral

Small Hunters are fine boats. They are built to a price and for a specific, recreational market. They are not suitable for ocean crossings. They are built largely for the weekend, inshore market. They sail well, can produce a good turn of speed and are comfortable, capable day sailers.

If you are looking for a small, lightweight boat for weekend jaunts, club racing and sipping cocktails in the cockpit at the marina or ina well sheltered bay, the Hunter is what you want. But for offshore work, they are simply not up to it.

The information here Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising is wise and well thought out. It deals with all aspects of choice when looking at voyaging boats and even has a list of good smaller boats at the end which may prove invaluable as you seek your dream boat.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Ensign

Quote:
Small Hunters are fine boats. They are built to a price and for a specific, recreational market. They are not suitable for ocean crossings. They are built largely for the weekend, inshore market. They sail well, can produce a good turn of speed and are comfortable, capable day sailers.

If you are looking for a small, lightweight boat for weekend jaunts, club racing and sipping cocktails in the cockpit at the marina or ina well sheltered bay, the Hunter is what you want. But for offshore work, they are simply not up to it.

The information here Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising is wise and well thought out. It deals with all aspects of choice when looking at voyaging boats and even has a list of good smaller boats at the end which may prove invaluable as you seek your dream boat.
Thank you verry much. I will have to take it out of the list but it was a verry good looking inside/out boat. :P
Old 05-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
Admiral

The Hunter has great accommodation. To find similar size in a voyaging boat you will need to step up in length. Take a look at older Pearson and Southern Cross 35's. The Southern Cross in particular is a well built, strong and capable offshore cruiser and older, but well cared for boats will not cost you an arm and a leg.
Good luck.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
The Hunter has great accommodation. To find similar size in a voyaging boat you will need to step up in length. Take a look at older Pearson and Southern Cross 35's. The Southern Cross in particular is a well built, strong and capable offshore cruiser and older, but well cared for boats will not cost you an arm and a leg.
Good luck.
Great advice. Good prices as well as capabylities... I spend all day looking after the boats in the list you posted me before... great also. Now I fell pointed in the right direction. Thank you verry much again. First round on me.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #18
Ensign

I think I'm in love with Dufour 36 CC.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
Muscle Rev Xtreme

Home Port: delhi
Vessel Name: Anil kumar

welcome to cruiserlog and i am sure you would enjoy the stay here make it large
Old 06-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
Ensign