Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Ensign

Hello all,

I've been lurking around this Forum for the last 12 months or so and with the auto prompt have decided to join .

No boat at the moment,been looking for about 18 months,while waiting for the kids finally get to the position where I can finally do my thing.

My background as follows.

From the age of 2 to 16 powerboats only,then to a trip as crew on a 60ft ketch from Australia to The Solomon Islands for 4 months ,got the sailing bug.

Had 3 racing trailer sailors and then my wife and refitted a 37 ft Arthur Robb yawl with "the voyage" in mind.

Unfortunalty she got died suddenly and I was left to bring up the 3 kids,the "boat thing"had to go.

For 14 years I did not even get on a boat although I did take up Sea Kayaking 5 years ago.

I thought the "boat voyage thing "was in the past and fully out of my system.

Then an old friend bought a 70 year old 30 ft gaff cutter and we went out for a few days.

I was enjoying the puttering round,fishing,diving etc but not overly so.

Then on the way home he asked me if I thought we could make it to a better anchorage for the night,which would entail a night sail through some fairly tricky channels.

I knew he was'nt up to the navigation but agreed to navigate for him,so off we went.

The sun was going down,we had about 12 knts of following breeze,seabirds, turtles and dolphins were all around us , and the challenge of the night nav ahead of us.

Then BAM it me !

That feeling from deep within me I'd long since thought had been extinguished by what had happened (or not happened)in my life was back !

I wanted to go sailing again !

Not the "round the bouys,hot shower and drink at the bar" stuff either.

I wanted to see an Island come up over the horizon again.

So I started looking at a few boats,buying books ,got my old sextant out a did a few sights,got on the internet and thats where I found you lot.

Forums are a hidden source of top quality information.

If you have a technical problem and you discuss it on a forum ,all of a sudden you have the collective brains and past expierences of a LOT of people working on your problem.

Thats what I've seen so far on this Forum.

A lot of expierenced people willing to share their thoughts with others, well done to all of you.

Hope to have the boat soon,and look forward to being part of this Forum in the future.

Fair winds to all

Regards Paul

Old 04-12-2008, 02:39 AM   #2
Admiral

We once sailed "down island" in the Caribbean under a full moon. It was like sailing on a sea of silver, and I didn't want it to end it was so beautiful.

It's that little speck on the horizon that grows a bit bigger by the hour, then you can smell it, and suddenly you're straining forward to get there, to explore this new and strange place.

Your children are fortunate that you gave them a haven after losing their mother. Will they join you on your voyages?

Welcome, there's much we all can learn from each other.

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi Jeanne,

To answer your question about the kids joining on my cruise,maybe here and there for vacations etc.

The eldest (26) got married last Dec, the middle one (24) is getting married in Aug and is still doing his degree in Civil Engineering , the baby(20) has decided to go back to Uni and do a 4 year Degree in Enviromental Science .

So guess what ,now ,their all grounded for the forseeable future !

Now its Dads turn and he's going to "run away to sea" !!

You bloody beauty !

Regards Paul
Old 04-12-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy54 View Post
Now its Dads turn and he's going to "run away to sea" !!

You bloody beauty !

Regards Paul
Paul,

You have to be an Aussie !

Which part ??

Richard
Old 04-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Paul, a hearty welcome aboard from me too. I learn much from this board every day and this friendly bunch are truly an international lot.

"See yuz aafta"

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Ensign

Thank you all for the welcomes.

Richard ,I'm in Brisbane.

Fair winds to all

Paul