Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi, all,

I joined up today and thought I'd say hello. After several years of wanting to do this, I picked up some training and time at sea in NZ this last fall. I'm hoping to get out more, gain experience and perhaps a lifestyle.

My home base is in the Western U.S. but I will be in various parts of Europe (near Croatia) and Egypt this summer, and possibly SE Asia, Australia and NZ toward the latter part of the year. If anybody is interested in bringing me along for day trips or a longer-term voyage, please let me know. I've spent quite a bit of time among close company (winters in Antarctica) and am very easy-going. I don't have much keeping me tied down at the moment and I'm quite keen on this and took to it quite quickly.

Meantime, I'll be catching up on all your good tips and info here and, I hope, meeting some of you.

Cheers,

-Brien

Old 03-29-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard Brien.

You do get around a lot. I hope you are successful and get some sailing in during your travels.

Ate // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Can you tell us more about yourself and your plans? What type of vessel are you looking for, where and when do you plan to travel?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Brien.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Can you tell us more about yourself and your plans? What type of vessel are you looking for, where and when do you plan to travel?
Certainly. For several winters I've been working at South Pole Station and have wanted to learn how to sail. Last October, I managed to join with an RYA trainer out of Nelson, NZ, (Westwinds) and spent about nine days aboard, combining several lesson plans, including a five-day passage with a night watch at helm and as navigator to earn my RYA Dayskipper ticket. Beyond that I don't have much experience, outside of some lake sailing.

I have a few plans firmed up and more that are tentative at the moment. I'll be in Central/E. Europe, specifically Krakow for July and part of August. I hope to make several excursions to nearby places, such as Croatia. After that I'm planning to head down to Egypt for at least 3-4 weeks. From there I'm not certain of my plans but I have the leftover half of an ATW ticket starting in Istanbul, going through Amman, Bangkok, HK, Beijing, Bali, Perth and Sydney before ending in NZ. Because of a number of circumstances I may complete some, all or none of that ATW, but I hope to.

As for vessel types, I can only say I've trained on the Regal 38 and would feel comfortable with a boat of that size up to maybe 50 feet. I have a lot to learn but do that best when I'm with someone who is experienced and forgiving. My training skipper complimented me on learning quickly and adapting as necessary, so I hope that's a bit to my credit. I would like to learn more about most any vessel, though. Even similar vessels can be unique so it would be good to just get on them and sail them, I figure.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Ta,

-b
Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Wow, working in the South Pole is pretty darn unique...if you don't mind my asking, how did you land that gig and what did you do? If you aren't at liberty to tell, no problem.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Ensign

btw, i meant "rival 38" ... a Rival 38A to be exact ... not sure where Regal came from

Anyway, to answer your question, I worked for the US Antarctic Program in several capacities, starting in 2003 at McMurdo Station and wintering 2005, 2006 and 2007 at South Pole Station.