Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Dubai
Default New member looking for advice...from the experienced.

I have bought a motorized yacht 37m., classical Italian CRN, early 80's.
She is undergoing her "RINA" certified checks prior to sailing at the end of next month.
My wife and I (retired), are planning to bring her back to our country of residence in Dubai under her own kneel, with a crew of 4.
The plan is to take our time cruising at maximum (slow), endurance of 10 kts. and route from the southern coast of Italy to Corsica, then Sicily; from here east to the straights of Messina and then to Heraklion in Greece.
Then continue the coast to Rhodes, and again east to Alanya in Turkey.
That's the easy part...
Then the route is directly south to Port Alexandria, through the canal to Jeddah in Saudi. Then we get off and hire security through to UAE waters.
My concerns are many; the distance, albeit a proven reliable vessel, she is aged; security is always on our minds, but particularly so due to the route; a yet unknown crew; the administration of sailing International waters; fueling in different territories, is there a standard fuel card, or do they only take cash; etc.
Although I have been boating for more than 10 years, I have only had experience with much smaller vessels.
I have also contemplated the idea of only doing some of the Med. and then transporting her to the final destination, but having recently received many quotes, the cost is just prohibitive.
There are many people out there that have done the same, or more with much greater experience than I.
We would appreciate hearing from you...

Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard. Wow, that is quite a trip you are planning and quite a large motor yacht. Most our members have sailing yachts and most are less than 20 meters. The requirements of your vessel maintenance and handling are very different than most of our members will have experience with. Even so, someone might come along with good insights for you. I am sorry that I don't know anything about the yacht you are describing--I am assuming motor yacht but perhaps it is a sailing yacht and I'm just unaware of it.

So--you will perhaps leave the yacht in the Red Sea for a few years? Otherwise to get the boat around to Dubai would be quite a bit risky of pirates. You may wish to check out the thread on taking a boat overland through from Dubai to the Red Sea--you would be doing the oppose. That discussion is here http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f67...aden-6558.html

The general topics/forums about the region is here: SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Do you have significant boating experience already? I mean, sailing 10 years can be a lot of experience or just small local things. My husband and I are curious about your plans and this large motor vessel that you will use.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Dubai

Dear Member,
Thank you for your reply.
The 37m CRN is a motor yacht.
I will study this over the weekend and revert back to the forum.

Many Thanks...