Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello everyone it is good to join a friendly bunch.

We have been working on our old boat for about 17 years to get it ready to go cruising. It is a 1927 80' tug converted to a cruisin yacht. We started cruising in the Pacific NW last year and have been on a steep learning curve since then.. we would love to hear from anyone who can relate to where we are. I am a marine engineer and a shipwright We have run into all kinds of challenges that we never expected. Has anyone ever had this happen to them ha ha?? ....."If its goin to happen, its goin to happen out there"(Captain Ron)

We, (Denny & Marcia) would love to share some stories So write us a line or two or more...

Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome Denny and Marcia,

I have always thought of a tug as a boat that I would have if I moved away from Multihulls.

Back in the 80's on a visit to Alameda CA, met up with a couple who were restoring a former steam driven Tug. They had been at it for some 7 years - I seem to remember that it was over a 100 years old . Most of the original English Oak frames were still in good nick.

I would have loved to have kept in touch to find out how the restoration turned out.

Tell us where you are now ?

Good Chugging

Richard

Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
Admiral

Welcome fellow boaters!

It is not often we get others than sailing craft enthusiasts here so it is especially nice to have you guys with us.

Tugs have fascinated me ever since I spent one winter as engineer on a small timber tug (about 55 feet loa) which, at that time, was being used for icebreaking duties in a canal and lock system. The tug was from about the turn of the last century (that is late 1800:s or early 1900:s) but has been converted along the way to a modern standards. Not big but she was so cozy and as the engine cooling water was stored in the aft peak tank (as the cooling water intakes could be blocked by brash ice) the aft deck was always warm - could have walked barefoot on it in winter despite an air temperature of -15 or so.

As far as I am concerned the major problem with tugs is that they have big, which means thirsty, engines. Even the liitle one I worked on had four Scania diesels driving one shaft.

As Richard said, please keep us posted of your progress and I for one would love to hear more about the history of your vessel.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A hearty welcome aboard to you both - good to have you here.

She is lovely! Enjoy her!

(Click pic for larger view)
Attached Thumbnails
tugtyee.jpg  

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
Admiral

Typical American tugs boats may not be so good for towing as, ideally, the towing hook should be at the centre of the boat but they sure have lots of accomodation. I am sure they make excellent live-aboard vessels.

Enjoy your lovely ship // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Welcome Denny and Marcia,

I have always thought of a tug as a boat that I would have if I moved away from Multihulls.

Back in the 80's on a visit to Alameda CA, met up with a couple who were restoring a former steam driven Tug. They had been at it for some 7 years - I seem to remember that it was over a 100 years old . Most of the original English Oak frames were still in good nick.

I would have loved to have kept in touch to find out how the restoration turned out.

Tell us where you are now ?

Good Chugging

Richard
Currently we are berthed at one on of the downtown piers in San Diego we hope to be moving north again in Feb.. Weather permitting...Actually our boat was built in Alameda. Built as a Crowley Tug #28. designed primarily for coastal and ship handling work.

She is built very heavy @200 tons and has a draft of 14 ft.. Kind of ying and yang thing when it comes to where we can venture, if you know what I mean.. More on that later. Good to hear from you Thanks again.

Later Gater

D&M
Old 12-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Welcome fellow boaters!
I under stand your comment about the fuel thing ,but in terms of most power driven vessels some using as much as 150 gal /hr we feel pretty good about our consumption of approx 10 gal/hr at about 8kn.

The short version of history is: Built 1927 in Alemeda Ca for Crowley Maritime as Crowley #28 worked mostly the pacific coast from san Fransisco to seattle and alaska handling ships and towing Rail Road barges. Was comendeered by the military in the fourties and then worked in the Seattle area until about the sixties.. Purchased by Cambell towing of Wrangel Alaska and towed logs and barges until the main engine died in the early eighties. Sat idle for years then we bought it at auction for $500 Thats when the real story begins .I get tired just thinkin about all that messing about rebuilding a derilect... It has been a lot of fun with alittle help from my friends. There are many more stories to tell and ones that havent happened yet.

Thats the short version

Best Regards

D&M
Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugtyee View Post
derilect... It has been a lot of fun with alittle help from my friends. There are many more stories to tell and ones that havent happened yet.

Thats the short version
I understand so well that that must REALLY be the abbreviated version. You must have faced a tremendous number of problems but what a degree of satisfation when the job was done (is it ever really done?). I am impressed and amazed. As a professional seaman, I know jow much work goes into a project like that. As a boat owner, I know how much money goes into even the smallest of projects. I take my hat off to you sir and congratulate you on a fantastic job.

When you have the time and the lust please let us know more about this fantastic project and, if you have them, we would all appreciate it if you posted a few photos.

A project like yours puts my little yacht and her renovation (although she was in a very sound condition when I bought her) into perspective.

Once again, well done. I am impressed!

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 12-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Can we see more pictures inside and out!

Welcome aboard!

If you make your way through Long Beach, please stop by Shoreline Marina Yacht Club or just give Lori and I a call on S/V Trim.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Can we see more pictures inside and out!

Welcome aboard!

If you make your way through Long Beach, please stop by Shoreline Marina Yacht Club or just give Lori and I a call on S/V Trim.
Thanks for the invite.. looks like a lovely bunch of pirates and scallywags. Hope to meet you someday.. Is there room for an 80 boat at your place? We'll keep you in mind..

D&M
Old 12-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Once again, well done. I am impressed!

Aye // Stephen
Thanks for the kudos, if feels good after all that blood sweat and beers..We have a lot of photos, here are a few after types ..I am unable to post any before types at this time but i can work on that.

regards

Denny
Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Ensign

Quote:
Thanks for the kudos, if feels good after all that blood sweat and beers..We have a lot of photos, here are a few after types ..I am unable to post any before types at this time but i can work on that.

regards

Denny
Attached Thumbnails
m_DSC00286.JPG   m_DSC00299.JPG   m_DSC00315.JPG   m_DSC00330.JPG   m_DSC00750.JPG  

Old 12-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Stunning!

Thanks for the pics - makes my mouth water.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Admiral

I'm curious, it's so pretty, now a few of the details. That sofa - is it leather? Did you buy the furniture and make the space accomodate it or is the furniture custom-made? The head - is that a tile mural? I WANT THAT!

What a lovely home you've built for yourselves.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #15
Admiral

Wow! Stunning. I love the heads.

I am sure that the blood, swat and beers bit is very true but in the end was it not worth it?

Not only have you have created a gorgeous floating home but you probably also saved a chunk of maritime history from the knackers yard. Well done on both counts.

Merry Christmas to you both.

Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 12-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #16
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
I'm curious, it's so pretty, now a few of the details. That sofa - is it leather? Did you buy the furniture and make the space accomodate it or is the furniture custom-made? The head - is that a tile mural? I WANT THAT!

What a lovely home you've built for yourselves.
Yes the sofa is leather, custom built into the space that used to be the galley, my sister in law does leather upholstry... This space is now the library. And the mural is actually a backlighted stained glass mosaic built by my wife Marcia. Pretty cool eh.. This home is hard to find moorage for... oh well cant win em all Thanks for writing

Regards

Denny
Old 12-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Wow! Stunning. I love the heads.

I am sure that the blood, swat and beers bit is very true but in the end was it not worth it?

Not only have you have created a gorgeous floating home but you probably also saved a chunk of maritime history from the knackers yard. Well done on both counts.

Merry Christmas to you both.

Stephen
Thanks for writing ..I think you must spend a lot of time on the PC ,And I love your little cartoon..Yes, it is worth it for a great water front home. Our next challenge is to figure out how to cruise with it and it hasnt been very easy what with little or no moorage available and anchorage very tricky in most harbors due to our draft of 14' drives my wife crazy... She would just love to stay at the dock and of course I want to challenge the elements and explore.. Perhaps the answer is somewhere between the two. Any Ideas?

Best regards and merry christmas to you as well...

Denny
Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for writing ..I think you must spend a lot of time on the PC ,And I love your little cartoon..

Denny
Yep, too true. I wish I could spend as much time sailing as I have to spend in front of the PC. Thanks for the thumbs up on the little cartoon. It is pretty near the mark I would say.

I appreciate your problems with 14' draft. On the other hand, that must make for a very stable craft. I think if I were ion your shoes I would head on up the west coast, maybe as far as BC and Alaska. You certainly have a good vessel for a colder climate and there should be few problems caused by your draft in that part of the world and such wonderful scenery.

If you were on this side of the Atlantic, I would reccommend Norway and the Baltic as there are any number of deepwater ports and natural anchorages here too.

Cheers // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #19
Rear Admiral

Lovely vessel......When I was in Emeryville Cove Yacht Harbor there were a couple of ladies that lived on a tug. I always enjoyed seeing them lounging about on the deck when sailing back in. I was also very curious of the interior. My thinking it would be spacious, and comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #20
Ensign

Quote:
Yep, too true. Cheers // Stephen
Hear Hear.. Thats our plan and Puget Sound is where we came from. we came south down the pacific headed for Mexico thinkin that would be a good place for us to hang out ,but we came to find out the choices of where to go are very limited practically no moorage and limited anchorage so now we want to go back and regroup ..What is it that they say about "acres of diamonds in your own back yard"?? Lesson learned..

Be safe

Denny