Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Greenhorn

Home Port: Runaway Bay Qld
Red face Newbie onboard

Hi everyone,
I've recently joined your group after following the site for several months. Your willingness to share information and keep things above board has drawn me in.

My daughter has rekindled my love for boats, particularly yachting, and this has (for about 2 years now) made me deeply consider the transition to a liveaboard cruiser. To cut a long story short, I'm looking to make the transition within the next 18 months.

I love the lines of the older yachts (who doesn't) and their build quality has been shown by the test of time, however, all of these older boats come with a definite lack of accomodation and usually incur only single bunks after the master cabin. I have a few married friends whom I would like to take on overnight trips so they too can get an appreciation for the cruising lifestyle. (They have expressed a willingness to get involved)

So guys and gals, I'm looking for your wealth of knowledge on the thoughts expressed here. Can I find a cruising yacht here in Australia (Gold Coast region), that has at least 3 double cabins in the 40 - 42 foot class that is also suitable for single handing in the classic class OR, will I have to consider the production vessels like Catalina & Hunter to obtain what I want.
The budget upto Aus $200,000
Please feel free to express your thoughts.

Happy sailing to all

Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

G'day Bruce, with a budget around $200K, the sky is the limit. There are many great cruising boats out there some with great sea keeping qualities, but not so flash accommodation (Like the IOR boats), and such classics as Hans Christians.

If you want to entertain and sail with mates I like the Beneteau Oceanis yachts. They are quality built for offshore work and 2 Japanese friends sat off the north Queensland coast riding out a cyclone in theirs for four days, five or six years ago. It's a well built, comfortable cruising yacht.

The galley is huge for the size of the boat and the sleeping arrangements are great. If you're not familiar, here's a listing from Boatpoint which demonstrates the marque.

Used 2001 BENETEAU OCEANIS 461 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

There are some nice Roberts' yachts out there, but mostly they are DIY jobs (which is not a bad thing) and there's also another worthy of a look..the Savage Oceanic. I think they were about 42'.

Welcome along and we wish you luck in your quest.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Greenhorn

Thumbs up Thanx Auzzee

Thanks for the quick reply Auzzee.
I looked at that Beneteau link and yes she's a lovely comfy vessel. I particularly like the Galley location (this is exactly the galley type & location I'm after). I have looked at some Beneteau's here, but to get a 3 double cabin version they move the galley to midships port forward and it becomes a straight (almost) affair, not to my liking at all. It is for the Galley location that I consider the Catalinas and Hunters.
I saw advertised a 44ft Oyster in Brisbane that was perfect but it went under offer while I was making a viewing enquiry (bugger), he had put a scoop on the back proffesionally and it had self furling main and all sorts of cruising fittings (Solar, Wind Gen etc) & was / is a lovely vessel.
With my budget I really want all those extra cruising items, (like Solar , Wind Gen, GenSet, Watermaker, AND Self furler main or boom furler) hence staying in the 40 - 42 range.
Do you still think it's achievable???

My best regards to you Auzzee.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Absolutely doable. Most used cruising boats will come equipped with solar and wind gens (I just bought a wind gen for $650 so they're not so expensive), they will have headsail furling and some will have the furling main (I'm a bit of a Luddite and am not yet convinced to put one on my boat) many will have water makers and a lot will have windvane self steering. Gensets are perhaps a bit rarer.

To become familiar with the local market just trawl through Boatpoint.com.au and set your criteria to sail/up to 46'/$200K and you'll be amazed at the variety. I just had a quick peek myself and there's a lot there that get my juices flowing.
Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Greenhorn

Default Thanx Again Auzzee

A big thank you again Auzzee.
I'll certainly do that search & see what comes up.

Also, I see your home port is in Darwin. I just spent 8 months there working at the wharf. I believe your in Asia at the moment? When I'm in Darwin again, (have a daughter and grandchild there) would love to catch up and have a coffee or brew and discuss what the local yachties get up to.(you gotta luv these little critters)

Again, regards and best wishes to you.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Greenhorn

UPDATE : Things are progressing.
My block of land on the Gold Coast, Mudgeeraba is for saleand I have a very interested person whom has now made his 3rd visit.
Seems my plans to go liveaboard are moving ahead. (happy chappy at the moment)