Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi All!

I got an email regarding the new Wiki, and thought to register and say hello.

I own a 1979 Gulfstar 37' aft-cockpit sloop. She is the love of my life. I am restoring her at a DIY yard in Indiantown, FL. She and I have had a rough start together. I had originally taken her from I-town (where I bought her) down to Miami, where she blew her transmission. I had it replaced at C.A.Y. boat yard, along with the motor mounts, prop shaft cutless bearing, etc. These guys are fantastic, and I highly recommend them for repairs in Miami.

After leaving Miami, I took her out to West End, Grand Bahama. Unfortunately, we grounded and sunk upon entering the channel to Old Bahama Bay. Apparently, this is a treacherous entrance, and many vessels ground out there. I plan to post on the Wiki about the approach, and how to avoid having issues.

I patched up the keel while diving under water and managed to motor the boat back to near St. Lucie Inlet, where I let Boat Tow US kindly haul me into Manatee Pocket and then down the river and back to Indiantown. We are doing major glassing of the keel. The good news is that when she is done, she will be much stronger than when she was built.

The design of the keel includes the bilge, which is a hollow "tank", just aft of the ballast. This is a vulnerable portion of the hull, and I have fabricated a structural rib which greatly strengthens the floor of the bilge. Needless to say, I have a jillion photos of the damage, the patchwork and the rebuilding progress. I plan to post a site with the whole story, photos included. I have never done fiberglass repair before. I frequently hear myself saying; If you can make lasagna, you can do fiberglass.

Once the boat is all fine and dandy again, I plan to leave for either the DR and Caribbean or the Yucatan and Belize. From there, who knows... I just want to sail.

Clint

Old 04-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A big welcome aboard to you Clint - good to have you aboard.

Sorry to hear of your mishap and hope all is well to get going again. Pleased to hear that you will contribute to the Cruising Wiki.

Enjoy your exchanges with this happy, friendly crew here.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

HEY Clint,

One has to admire your tenacity. Seems like you got the difficult stuff out of the way. BEST WISHES in your travels, and keep us posted.....WE LIKE PICS!