Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-22-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
Ensign

Just wanted to drop a line by way of an introduction to say hello and what a great resource this forum and site is.

My name is Laura and I am a 29 year old female who lives aboard and cruises full time. This is my eleventh year out on my own and I am aboard my second boat, a 1968 Westerly Nomad, lying in the Sea of Cortez, MX. Her name is Andunge.

My first boat was a 1966, 28' Abbott, full keel, custom built sloop.

I was directed to this forum after placing a post on route information on another forum and was told I may get more of a response here. Thanks!!!

I am planning on Sailing from the Sea of Cortez starting in November and heading towards Valparaiso, Chile. I am looking for any information on route planning as well as all charts South of Panama. I am also interested in increasing my charts inventory for Harbor charts Panama and North if anyone has any of either they no longer need and are willing to trade/sell.

If there is any specific information that anyone requires about the San Juan's, the Pacific Coast of the US, or the Sea of Cortez I may able to help; just let me know.

Also, any questions regarding sailing small, minimally equipped boats is up my alley. Just holler.

I am looking forward to going back over past posts as well as the rest of the sight.

I also have a blog that includes information regarding sailing Mexico, small sailboats, and budget sailing. If you are interested in the address just email me: lauratkennedy at gmail dot com.

Thanks again!!

Laura Kennedy

S/V Andunge

Sea of Cortez, MX

Old 04-22-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Welcome Aboard Laura,

WOW! It seems you were destined to be a cruiser; just doing it from the beginning of adulthood.

There are people that would like to know what you know, and have questions about your exeperiances, people that plan a life time to realize their dream, and people latter in life discover a desire to become a cruiser.

It seems you are the perfect example of: "focus on what you want, and just do it."

Many of the rest of us are concerned with education, jobs, careers, military service, prestige, legacy, other experiences, money, finances, security, pensions, insurance, marriage, children, what-ifs, other things, and so on. You may have some of those concerns or others; I do not know that. As well, if you have some of those, you found a way to address them, or post pone them with the higher priority of living aboard.

I am so glad you came to this board, came forth, registered, and posted. You have something to share, and people will have questions of you.

I am not exactly certain how to interupt your "Thumb in the Eye: emotioncion concerning your location. Maybe it means that is not a good place, or a good place for you, or you have desires to be elsewhere. Presently I am in Denver Colorado, and land locked. The Sea of Cortez and MX is of great personal interest and under consideration for us, in making our saling and cruising plans happen. For us, the Sea of Cortez, California, and the Gulf of Mexico are the closest, about equi-distance, and make the most sense. MX offers perhaps less tech stuff, but a better consumers economy. I am not passing judgement. I am studying "where to best" locate or re-locate, buy, practice, and eventually shove off from. Perhaps you have valuable insight, and feedback. You certainly are a local contact and source of information.

There are others here with more experiance than I, that can better answer your route planning questions. Those people, with better advice, are scattered around the globe in various time zones, will be along in time. Presently they maybe contending with life in their piece of the world. Meanwhile, there is a link at this home page concerning charts.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:18 AM   #3
Admiral

I think that it's been about 10 years or more, but Cruising World Magazine printed several articles by a family who circumnavigated South America, going West to East. I think that it would be helpful to find a copy.

Here's a link to an illustration of ocean currents. http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/ear..._jpg_image.html

Sailing down the Pacific coast of S. America is work. It's pretty easy to Ecuador, then hug the coast down to Peru, and then you will probably have to work a bit harder. I believe that if you look at some sailing directions you'll find that it would be easier to sail to the Juan Fernandez Islands first, then down to Chile.

We didn't sail there, but I've heard great stories about Magellan Passage, Puerto Mont, and Patagonia. It is not easy, though, and I encourage you to do a fair amount of research before setting off.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
I am not exactly certain how to interrupt your "Thumb in the Eye: emotioncion concerning your location. Maybe it means that is not a good place, or a good place for you, or you have desires to be elsewhere.
Naw, nothing that deep. I just liked that picture best. Doh!!

As for the Sea of Cortez, I am very grateful that my second boat was located here when I went to purchase her. I sailed around the Central Sea last year and would like to get a look at the Northern Sea (though, if I head to Chile that is doubtful as to whether or not I can fit it in). All in all a great place to sail. Very challenging from the Chibascos (spelling?), to the Hurricane(s), to the strong Northerlies, and finally the usually light and variable winds in the summer. You get it all here. I also like the fact that I can head out to some of the islands and still not see people for weeks. I imagine the Northern Sea to be even better in that regard. If you like rugged, dry topography then this is the place and I have really enjoyed getting to know the desert better (and was not a fan at all when I came here). Also, some challenging backpacking and climbing to be had if that is your thing. Also, great for kayaking, and freediving/SCUBA. Great seafood too!!

All in all, highly recommended.

California...eh, overly regulated if you are a cruiser (read: not cruiser friendly) especially Southern California. Can be great and challenging sailing though if you can put up with all the stuff that you have going against you. There aren't really great anchorages available for very long stretches and even those are becoming mooring fields that are regulated and patrolled. That said, the Channel Islands are great and worth visiting and Catalina is what it is. I lived in Long Beach for a spell and frequently sailed to Newport, Dana Point, or harbors north and always had a good time. But, there are only so many times you want to visit those places. I think (for me anyway) that I would recommend passing through as a worth while pursuit, but, staying any length of time sailing in the state might be a bit much.

All in all not too terribly recommended unless you are on your way to points North or South.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

My welcome too - you will have much info to share here. Enjoy your stay.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Admiral

I just came across this article on sailing around S. america . http://www.cruisingworld.com/article.jsp?I...6&catID=622

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:54 AM   #7
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to sailman

Laura; I will be heading your way in February . I have sailed as far as Panama in the 80s . Your in for a treat. Watch your weather and the Tehuantepecs on the Southern tip of Mexico. They can whip up to 100 mph and be very dangerous. Pull in at Acapulco and time your crossing to sail right after the winds have passed. Talk to the other cruisers in the area and they can give a lot of advice also listen to weather on wwv. I am not sure what time the weather broadcasts are made but you can look it up. If anchoring in Puntarenas Coasta Rica watch your currents and tides. The current can be more than your boat can move against. This is a wonderful place to rest and restock and the people will love you.

Have a great trip and if I can be of help contact me. Nick Yacht Diastole KI5HDF