Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi-I've had the dream for 30 years. The first 10 i had the time, but not the money. Sailed a lot on OPBs. Got married and then didn't have the time either. Ex wasn't a sailor. Now I just got divorced, Have an offer on part of my business which will give me both the time and money . I've always wanted to liveaboard on a Cat. I went to the Miami boat show and decided that since I'm 6'2", I am probably going to need at least a 42' cat unless I meet a chiropractor to straighten my neck out from ducking. I've been perusing the broker pages for years, kinda like the St Francis 44. Guess what I'm really looking for is advice to get from here to my dream boat. I'd hate like heck to spend a couple of hundred thousand and find out I'm unhappy. and I'm not sure if a broker is who i should be talking to for an honest opinion. Thanks for all your thoughts in advance!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard - good to have you here. Others will be along to offer you LOTS of advice about choosing the right boat for you. What are your plans? Where will you be cruising?

I love the St Francis myself!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome to Cruiser Log,

Pleased to read that you are interested in a Catamaran, The St Francis 44's have found their way to most most parts of the world. A couple of points to take into account, most of these that you see in the Caribbean and Florida were brought in as Charter boats (4 cabins each with their own heads) as such they may not have had the care and mantainance that is necessary to keep them in top condition. Another factor is that they are relatively slow when run under engine power alone, the standard 27 HP engines do not provide enough oomph! The engines placement is not desirable - heat & fumes need to be removed by running blower fans continuously. The bridge deck clearance in the older models was not sufficient to prevent pounding. The hull beam's narrow diameter results in having to make sure that the payload is kept to a minimum - privately owned 44s will generally be over-loaded and therefore slow when compared to chartered 44's which don't have all the normal cruiser's baggage.

If the boat is more than 5 years old - make sure that the rudder shafts are surveyed and check the gel coat for bubbles. Make sure that the bottom of the transom is out of the water.

Regards and good hunting

Richard
Old 05-16-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for your insights Richard. I know enough that I want to stay away from retired charter boats. and I am aware of overloading a catamaran. Are there any others you would consider for blue water and liveaboard. my plans are for staying in the carribean for a few years to gain experience, then head out to the Pacific and see where I go form there. Of course these plans are subject to change at any time.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyeinnj View Post
...since I'm 6'2", I am probably going to need at least a 42' cat unless I meet a chiropractor to straighten my neck out from ducking.
Welcome! Good luck to you in finding the right boat and getting into cruising.

I smiled when I read the above statement, the original owner of our monohull boat went to the naval architect and asked him to design a comfortable and seaworthy cruising-capable boat with 6'5" headroom. He was 6'4" tall. The lines were drawn based on this requirement and the boat ended up being 54' length on deck.

One thing that we've changed to better fit we shorter folks (I'm 5'8" and hubby is 5'9") is we've raised the cockpit sole a couple inches to better see over the low charthouse. Clearly, the tall original owner didn't want to be hit by the boom as it swung over the cockpit and he didn't have troubles seeing over the house with his additional height.

I don't know what boom clearance is for most catamarans, but this can be an issue on many monohulls given your height as well.

Fair winds

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyeinnj View Post
Are there any others you would consider for blue water and liveaboard. my plans are for staying in the caribbean for a few years to gain experience, then head out to the Pacific and see where I go from there. Of course these plans are subject to change at any time.
Well, this question has probably been asked many thousand times !

Having sailed/cruised and owned catamarans - certain design features are fundamental in what makes a good cruising cat - listed here in no particular order of importance :- Minimum length 42ft in order to achieve the desirable length/beam ratio of 2:1. Draft max 3ft. (with dagger boards - 2' 3" ) Minimum bridge-deck clearance of 33" so as to minimize pounding. 2 main cabins en-suite. BIG cockpit area, with clear vision forward for the helmsman. Hull diameter such that a "cruising"payload can be carried without the transoms sitting below the waterline at rest. Engine access from the cockpit - consider hydraulic drives to props and anchor windlass. Main traveler track to follow same radius as boom, which allows excellent mainsail control - Main = full battened dropping into lazyjack pocket. Cutter rigged jibs on furlers , Asymetrical spinnaker. Solid Bimini carrying full area of solar panels.

Here is an example of a good cruising cat - it is a Mystery Cove 42 designed by Tony Grainger

(I declare no interest)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tony_Granger_42.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	453

That's all that I can think of at the moment

Richard
Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Rear Admiral

WELCOME,

and welcome to the cat world. All boats have an advantage, and disadvantage. You will find this with a cat also. MMNETSEA has given you some good guidelines to find a cat that will make you happy. I slipped into the darkside of the cat world in 02. I have thoroughly enjoyed the boat since then......BEST WISHES in finding what you seek.

P.S.

Cat will work their way windward............