Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: twello
Default small yacht

hi everyone,
i just wanted to share my mini cruise boat, it has gone from holland to southern france, about 1500 km, on its trailer sadly, but I dream that one day i will have a yacht. Even though i like the speed of my laser i am still angry on my parents for selling the boat and moving away from the sea (we had a 11m westerly twin keel with a dubble mast

here is my yacht
laser sailing gopro - YouTube

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Keep the dream alive! There's a lot of good sailing around the coast of France. Join a sailing club and offer yourself as crew. Sharpen your skills, save your money and the future will arrive more quickly than you had imagined.
Good luck...you handle the Laser well!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Southampton
Vessel Name: Tyro

Looking good and sailing fast, which is clearly the objective in a Laser!

You might find tacking more positive if you use the 'dagger' grip on the tiller- the 'saucepan handle' grip you're using is better in boats with a mainsheet on the transom.

Have fun!

Steve
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #4

Home Port: Richland
Vessel Name: Pacifica

Thanks for posting the video. Nice editing work!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

thanks for the lovely video! From the time I was a little girl I dreamed of sailing. Landlocked. Sigh. Eventually, I found my way to the shoreside when I was 19. My first sailing experience then was on a laser in chest-deep waters and light winds. Even so, I was challenged! I've continued sailing since then. Keep up the sailing, enjoy your times playing in the wind with the laser or on other people's boats and someday you'll have your own larger keelboat to adventure out upon.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Leucate

Hello everyone, and Hi vbens!

Nice to find this Forum, although I'm getting on a bit and somewhat past sailing any more!

We have a 32 foot Challenger motor sailer, which is moored in the Canal du MIdi not far from where you sail your Laser.

We used to keep the boat near Le Barcarés, where we had an apartment.

Four years ago the channel to the sea had become badly silted up, and we no longer sailed the boat anyway, so I decided to put it in the Canal du MIdi.

To reduce the draught for the canal I cut off 25cm of the lead keel, in Port Leucate, and removed the mast and rigging. These are all stored inland.

We are now unable to use the boat, as I have a problem with my legs which makes walking difficult, and we can no longer jump on and off the boat to go through locks. We clean it every week or two, and run the engine, but it is getting dirty and neglected, and we can't handle the work any more.

I am looking for someone to take care of the boat in return for using it, or even to buy it for a low price.

The most important work needed is to repaint the decks, but the lead keel could be restored by recasting it, and the mast and rigging replaced by someone with ability and more energy than me!

Picture taken in July 2009 at Homps, on a short cruise.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Ensign

I might be interested in this, depending on how much work is needed to restore to its full seagoing state. Tell me more?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Ensign

There is more than enough space in the void above the keel to put in the removed ballast, cut or cast into small pieces. This would only raise the CG of the ballast about 5" above original. Cutting the large lump of lead into small pieces would be quite laborious, with quite a lot of wastage - although cuttings could be melted down and reused.

Alternatively, I have found a foundry in Barcelona who will recast the spare lead into ingots, or 2 bulbs to bolt onto the existing keel, or cast the whole amount (about 1,450 kg) as a new bulbous, shallower keel.

Then, with the mast stepped in the new tabernacle, she could sail the canals or the sea

The mast was originally keel stepped, but I have already cut it off at deck level, placed the offcut in the step, reinforced where it meets the deck, glassed it in, fitted a teak pad, and a stainless steel tabernacle.
The mast just need the appropriate holes drilling for the necessary pivot and support pins.

I just checked the prices I got from the foundry last October.

The cost to cast the offcut lead into ingots for placing in the void space is €500. This is probably the best option, as I could take the lead to the foundry in my trailer and leave the trailer there to collect when ready.

To cast the offcut into 2 bulbs to bolt on the sides of the keel is €2,800. This would necessitate making a mould of each side of the keel for the founder to work from.

To completely recast the keel as a bulbous one would be complicated and very expensive, probably around €7,000.

There is still 10" of ballast keel left in place, more than half the original 3,200 lbs. She rolled interestingly in a 3 foot or so beam sea with the mast laid on deck when I brought her down the coast from the yard where I did the keel work, but she is quite stable, especially now the mast is ashore.

She was valued at €31,100 (~£27,000) at her last survey, in May 2010, I would sell her for £10,000.

Any less than that and I might as well sell off her equipment first - the Alpes Inox cooker cost over £2000, just for starters. I owned a marine engineering business in Spain - air conditioning, refrigeration, domestic and generators mainly, so bought everything through the business from the companies we represented.

There is a full set of sails including a new roller genoa (I sold the reefing gear for it), and there are spares on board for just about everything - new engine water pumps, etc. etc., as I planned to do some serious cruising when I retired.

Pics here http://s857.photobucket.com/user/nomoss

Edit: The deck is suffering from exposure to the sun and weather, and needs sanding down and repainting. The topsides are acceptable. The hull is painted with Coppercoat. The black antifouled part of the keel in the picture on the travelift is the solid lead part of the keel (glassed in). The keel above that is hollow, where I planned to put the lead inside.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Ensign

Hmmm.... probably more work than I want to do, and the price is already at the top of my budget..... still, I'll have a think - and a financial review!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Ensign

Sold her 2 weeks ago. Don't know whether to rejoice or weep.....
Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: twello

hi,
i didn't get a notification to all the replies, but thanks for your compliments on the video. @steve im not sure what you mean, with the different grips.
@redpop i have had the opposite, i used to live next to the north sea, untill my parents moved inlands where we had no place for our 11m westerly yacht(not sure about the type but is has a double mast with a double keel and an aft cabin). I used to sail on a small river nearby, but there wasn't more i could learn there so i left the club (the same as bouwe bekking used to sail with) and now I only sail in the vacations in Barcares.
@rogerfox, that canal is really beutifull my parrents speek of getting a small boat there too when they retire.