Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi Everybody,

I'm posting this message here because i'm looking for this information on the net, but alas no joy yet...so i thought someone with experience could be able to tell me something about it.

Here we go; i'm from Italy, i am somewhat of a terrestrial nomad and i'm fluent in English and Spanish...plus i got some grasp of Dutch and Portuguese.

I love the sea, i'm a free spirit.

For some reason, my bad, in Italy i am not able to obtain the license (i don't even precisely know how it's called in english) to lawfully conduce a sailboat in international waters...the Italian government just won't release it to me for at least three more years from now.

I am looking around for other countries where i could follow the curses and obtain the license.

I could perfectly do that in any spanish-speaking country, i checked out for my chances in Spain...that's alright, but the procedure to obtain the full license over there is quite long, and it would take me around a year of residence there to get it, while in Italy it would just take me two months.

I assumed that maybe, in some South American country there could be a more profitable situation, in terms of time to get the full license.....plus, over there the months of stay wouldn't come up as expensive as it would here in Europe.

Bottomline is; do any of you know anything about this issue and could maybe give me some advice about where would be easier for me to get that license?

I mean, somewhere where to gain that license isn't much of a hassle (it doesn't take years) and the living isn't very expensive?

If yes, please, would you be so kind to tell me what you know about it? (like where, how, times, costs...whatever you know).

Of course also any English-speaking country would be just fine.

Thanks a lot, i really hope that maybe someone of you can show me the way....so i could be able to make my dream come true.

I'm trying the best i can.

Thanks again, i look forward in the hope to hear something from you.

Cheers :-)

Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

I have never heard of a license to take your private sailboat into the ocean. Are you possibly talking about a license to charter people on your boat, or for personal use, and sailing?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Ensign

...yeah, sorry; i'm talking about the license for sailing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I have never heard of a license to take your private sailboat into the ocean. Are you possibly talking about a license to charter people on your boat, or for personal use, and sailing?
...the license for sailing without coastal and/or territorial limits....the piece of paper that you need, along with a boat, to get around... ;-)
Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

haya

Just to get this clear. Are you thinking of your own boat or are you wanting to charter a yacht?

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
haya

Just to get this clear. Are you thinking of your own boat or are you wanting to charter a yacht?
...I am thinking of my own boat, but here i'm talking about the license to conduce it...
Old 03-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by haya View Post
...I am thinking of my own boat, but here i'm talking about the license to conduce it...
I think you are saying you have no intent to take paying passengers--this means you will be sailing by yourself or with your guests/friends but no one pays you for anything (not fuel, not anything, no cost sharing, etc), they are just your guests--you are not making money on sailing the boat...

If that is the case, in the USA one doesn't need a license of any sort to purchase and operate a sailboat in this recreational/non-commercial manner. Though, there are many short safety courses that one may take (a few weeks of classes) to become a better sailor. Taking these classes frequently makes it easier/cheaper to obtain insurance for your boat and to be able to rent a boat for your use on vacation. It may be pointless to own the boat with no insurance and thus if you have no experience, you may need these courses.

Conversely, here in the USA, if you wish to get the most basic license to charter (make money) with a boat, you must prove some number of years of boating experience and pass examinations (frequently people take classes to prepare for the exams) that are not easy. It takes about 3 years experience to do this in the USA. You must only do this if you are planning on taking paying passengers on your boat, though.

For just cruising by yourself, friends, etc, with NO paying guests, nothing required for license at this time in the USA.

I hope this is helpful information for you!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Ensign

....Thanks Redbopeep, that sounds intersting....

The fact is that over here, as well as in many other countries, there are some sort of licenses that one needs to lawfully conduce his own boat....even for private use.

Here i list some examples; in Germany it's called " F\Hrerschein Seefahrt"; in Belgium it's " Brevet van Yachtnavigator"; in Mexico they call it " Certificado de Competencia especial para P.Y.";

in the U.K. "
Yatchmaster Ocean";

in Uruguay "
Permiso para zona "A""; and in Italy " Patenti per il Comando di Unita da Diporto (1)".

As a matter of fact, these titles are the equivalent of a driver's licence...

...some kind of paper you must have if you intend to conduce your own boat, and without these permits you're not allowed to do so.

So you're saying that over there there's nothing like this?

...well, then lucky you! :-) ...and thanks a lot for the info!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Admiral

Haya,

Still having difficulty understanding the motivation to avoid complying with the rules regarding the operation of yacht by its owner for purely private and recreational use, irrespective of whether the yacht is sailed in the country's own or international waters.

Your statement " For some reason, my bad, in Italy i am not able to obtain the license (i don't even precisely know how it's called in english) to lawfully conduce a sailboat in international waters...the Italian government just won't release it to me for at least three more years from now"

You do not say why they won't give you a license, if we knew why, we might be in a better position to give you answer.

If you check the Royal Yachting Association's website on the subject it should assist in clarifying the rules regarding the operation of yacht by its owner for purely private and recreational use:-

http://www.rya.org.uk/KnowledgeBase/boatingabroad/icc/

As an aside the word "conduce" is foreign to the sailing vocabulary. To 'operate' , to sail , to pilot, to skipper - these are terms commonly found in most certificates of competency.

Regards
Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
Ensign

Thanks for the reply MMNETSEA, and of course thanks for the link too...i've found a lot of informations in it.

To answer your question about my issue, at the moment i don't meet the government's "moral standards"; many years ago i had an issue with the law, which ended up with a big fine and a penal recording....i didn't care at the time about paying this fine, as i thought i could easily do without. Then, a couple of months ago, i went to apply for the renew of my passport and found out that the ol' fine issue has to be cleared in order to have the new passport....so i did, put the money together and pay up for my passport. Then i was like; ok, now i paid my fine, got my new passport, i should be able to earn my license too... ...untill, with my great surprise, i found out that a 3 years period is required for this situation to be completely cleared before i can even apply for the tuition necessary for this license.

That really pissed me off.

So, there you got it; "moral standards"....a pretty platonic concept coming from some entity that was just concerned about the money.

Cheers