Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-17-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Ensign

I'm a WannaBe sailor. US Navy Vet in love with the sea. 1st sailing adventure was with a Senior Chief in the Navy who was our class instructor and was also a very experienced sailor. He would cut class early and recruit myself and other classmates to crew for him for the afternoon out on SanDiego Bay. How could we say no. I fell in love with sailing right then and there. Ever since that time I've wanted to buy a boat and cruise up and down the East coast and points beyond. Living in NH I have easy access to the Ocean and hope to make this dream come true very soon. I've also fallen in love with Cape Dory's and have looked at several. Of course the winter weather has put a damper on things for now so I'm reading and trying to absorb as much as possible before this coming spring. Hope to spend time here learning from other like minded sailors.

Bugs

Old 12-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard. Read as much as you can and let us all know how you are getting on.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard, Bugs.

I take it you probably learned to sail at the Fiddlers' Cove Marina on Coronado? In the early 1980's, my husband and I took sailing classes there and taught classes there as well. I imagine you didn't make it outside Point Loma very often in just an afternoon's sail from Coronado.

San Diego Bay is a very benign sailing environment from the weather perspective--of course keeping clear of all the Navy ships with the new Homeland Security requirements is a bit much (the clearance required is actually wider than the channel and physical waterway in several areas places...) but all in all, its a lovely place for a beginning sailor.

Since leaving San Diego, have you rented a sailboat or done any sailing?

Fair winds,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Welcome aboard, Bugs.

Fair winds,

Brenda
Hi Brenda,

Since leaving SanDiego in 1989 I've only been sailing once. Out of Portland, ME. Now that my kids are grown, only 1 left, a senior in High school, I'm getting the serious bug(no pun intended) to get out there and set sail.

Bugs