Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-20-2015, 03:50 AM   #21
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

I remember using Pythagoras at school to calculate the height of the flagpole. However, that required measuring the shadow length accurately, something you can't do on a yacht. Bought a 30' tape to measure the sails whilst at Bunnings too. :-)

Have no idea why sailmakers want i, j, k measurements when all they need are leech, luff and foot along with a general description, such as "genoa #2, furling, 4mm wire".

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Use your mainsail halyard. Firmly tie some non stretch cord to it, haul it up till the knot hits the sheave box, tighten, pull it back to the sheave (do this a few times but don't go Arnie on it) mark it at the boom, pull it down, measure the cord and **PRESTO**; luff length.
Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #23
Admiral

Math teacher: "OK class, today we're going to learn how to measure the height of the school flagpole."
Johnnie: "That's easy. I'd just tie a weight to a string, climb the flagpole, drop it down until it touches the ground then measure the string with my ruler."
Teacher: "Well, I was expecting the use of Pythagoras' Theorem. What if you were my age and couldn't climb the pole?"
Johnnie: "In that case I'd probably reminisce about when I was young enough to climb it."

Old 09-21-2015, 02:54 AM   #24
Admiral

Well, looks as if I won't be going far today. Somebody parked this thing right where I normally moor my dinghy:
Attached Thumbnails
crane.jpg  

Old 09-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #25
Admiral

Perusing the Whitworth's catalog last night I had the distinct thought that their prices were fairly reasonable, at least compared to the messing around and waiting I've been putting up with buying stuff - often substandard stuff - from China. Must be becoming a real yachtie at last, I'm no longer horrified by the costs, they just are what they are. An appreciation of how tough yacht materials need to be in order to survive has crept in along the way. Sea air is merciless.

On another tack, I've long known that the name of this yacht sucks. Thinking of changing it to Wairoa, in honour of my new home in New Zealand. Since the old name was never painted on the side there shouldn't be any trouble, for the superstitious amongst you, but I'll drink a libation to Neptune and utter the proper incantations anyhow. I'll probably change it when I do the haulout and repaint, which is planned for right after I get the damned thing to sail.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #26
Admiral

There are many rituals surrounding the change of name of a boat. The most important of these is quite simply the gathering of many friends for a barbie and a couple of beers. In times of financial drought, I have changed a name without any ceremony. At other times, I have gone the full bit, including re-stepping the mast over a new penny. There have never been any negative consequences so far as I am aware....except for the bloody hangover...

Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #27
Admiral

Measured up my sails today and was surprised that they were a full two metres shorter than the design specifies. The good news is that the yacht won't heel much, and sails should be fairly cheap for it. The bad news I suppose is that it won't be very fast but that's a minor consideration for cruising. I'd prefer a comfortable ride any day. Good thing I measured first!

Genoa: Leech 7.2m, luff 6.7m, foot 3.85m
Main: Leech 6.7m, luff 7.2m, foot 3.2m

The boom could actually take a sail with a 3.5m foot easily.

Secondhand sails seem to be plentiful and readily available for 36-40'ers but smaller ones haven't been seen much so far. I'll keep looking.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:29 AM   #28
Admiral

Oops, got those measurements wrong. Luff and leech were transposed, so if I had those actual sizes I'd probably sail backwards. :-)

Genoa: Luff 23'7" (7.2m), leech 22'0: (6.7m), foot 12'7" (3.85m)
Jib: Luff 22'3" (7.1m), leech 21'0" (6.4m), foot 7'6" (2.29m)
Main: Luff 22'0" (6.7m), leech 23'7" (7.2m), foot 10'6" (3.2m)

Funny squat little sails they are. No joy so far, I'm even checking US sites.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:57 AM   #29
Admiral

What is the LOD and LOA of the vessel?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #30
Admiral

Design LOD of the Hartley Tasman is 27', LOA including bowsprit is 30'. Why do you ask?

Old 09-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #31
Admiral

Just trying to get a picture of the sail aspect ratio. I had it in my mind that it was a 35'er and the sail measurements seemed tiny for such a craft. The Tasman is a pretty boat and carries its sails well forward.

Is it possible to lower the boom down closer to the deck?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:34 PM   #32
Admiral

Keppelena's the larger yacht at 33' LOD / 35' LOA.

The boom can come down a little, but it would require removing the fibreglass helm roof permanently. Since it's mounted badly that may eventually happen.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #33
Admiral

If only I could get my hands on the insuff'rable asshat who decided to put a clear acrylic hatch above the v-berth.

Most days I don't mind being blasted in the face by sunrays at barely 0930 but today I really needed to sleep in. For some reason the whole river was alive with activity last night and it kept me awake until really late.

We had chemical tanker arrivals, a full moon, choppy conditions, jetskis, fireworks, generators running, power boats queued up at the ramp to be trailered away as late as 10pm and new yachts still arriving until after 11pm.

I have no idea why, but it seems everyone wanted to be at Morningside last night. Colour me grumpy.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

> Picked up a new pair of thongs/flipflops/jandals (select one)

Vietnamese safety boots.

> Math teacher: "OK class, today we're going to learn how to measure the height of the school flagpole."

Question in a UK Physics test: Determine the height of a building using only a barometer. The correct answer is to measure the air pressure at the top and bottom and using a formula based on density of air, bla bla bla, can all be done.

Student answers: Drop the barometer off the top of the building and time how long it takes to hit the ground (too obvious). Climb up the side of the building measuring the building's height in barometer-lengths (fails OH&S provisions). Stand the barometer alongside the building, measure the length of the shadow of the barometer, measure the length of the shadow of the building, invoke Pythagoras, etc (failed physics, passed mathematics). Best answer -- go to the architect who designed the building and say "I will give you this nice shiny new barometer if you tell me how tall that building is" (failed physics and mathematics, passed economics).

> If only I could get my hands on the insuff'rable asshat who decided to put a clear acrylic hatch above the v-berth.

Same problem on Chiara Stella if you recall, although I think you spent the entire trip sleeping amidships. Solution was a couple of those windscreen reflector thingies you can get from any auto shop, cut to size, perforated and punctured where necessary, edges sealed and taped, and then double sided taped to the inside of the perspex. Works well.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:45 AM   #35
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
Best answer -- go to the architect who designed the building and say "I will give you this nice shiny new barometer if you tell me how tall that building is" (failed physics and mathematics, passed economics).
No doubt lost it all in the dot-com crash.

Quote:
If only I could get my hands on the insuff'rable asshat who decided to put a clear acrylic hatch above the v-berth.

Same problem on Chiara Stella if you recall, although I think you spent the entire trip sleeping amidships.
I did get up occasionally to run a night watch. And unlike *some* people, I didn't steer south when we were supposed to be going northeast. :-)

Quote:
Solution was a couple of those windscreen reflector thingies you can get from any auto shop, cut to size, perforated and punctured where necessary, edges sealed and taped, and then double sided taped to the inside of the perspex. Works well.
I was considering that tint film they use on car windows, but this would work. Ta.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #36
Admiral

Shore trip last night. I decided to sleep in the van because I have a tendency to procrastinate when I'm half awake and figured if I was already ashore the shopping would have to get done.

Of course, sleeping wasn't easy because I have my sails in the back and there's very little room left to lie down. But one of today's tasks was to drop off the mainsail to a sailmaker for repair, which is why they're in the van.

Got groceries, picked up mail (new laptop battery on hold at PO) and then Whitworths for some 1 1/2" plastic hose and two metres of 6mm chain. And therein lies a story - got ashore last night to find I didn't have the new chain to secure the dinghy. Must have absentmindedly left it laying around when I first got back from my brother's place and someone walked off with it, complete with new padlock. Between that and ordering the wrong range extender antenna for my G4 data modem I've cost myself $50 in stupid errors this month.

So I finally get to the sailmaker, which was about a 25km drive. Girl comes to desk, I say "I'd like a quote to repair my mainsail." Blank stare. I notice that they mostly have shade sails in the showroom so I say, "It's off my yacht."

So she replies, "Oh, we only make shade sails."

Me: "Hmmm. Well, I suppose you should make that clearer in your advertising." I turn to leave and suddenly a booming voice behind me yells, "It's perfectly clear."

I turn back to see a shambling six foot hairy galoot. "I did an internet search and there was no mention of shade sails in your ads."

"No you didn't."

At this point I'm all like "LOLWUT?" Obviously this guy was making no sense at all and also seemed ready for a major argument. I backed out slowly, with him ranting "We're in the shadesail business."

It's a rare day when I disparage my fellow human being, but in this case I made an exception. I distinctly recall muttering "What a w̶a̶n̶k̶e̶r̶ very silly person" as I headed back to the van.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #37
Admiral

Del's having Chiara Stella delivered and presently she's en route Vanuatu to Cairns. He informs me that I'm welcome to come and sail the Gulf of Thailand when it gets there.

Dude, don't tempt me ...

Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #38
Admiral

Aristotle Onassis was right, boats *are* like rabbits and stopping at two is difficult. I keep lusting after multihulls, is this just a passing phase?

A Bolger SneakEasy would be awesome too.

And a workboat with a huge engine and a crane.

And there are just so many cheap 22'ers about that could be fixed up for peanuts and day sailed.

Why didn't I discover this passion at age 30? I wasted most of my life.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #39
Admiral

Oh woe is me. I just spotted a 2001 Hartley RORC 32'er going for less than $4,000 and it has a working diesel. How the hell do I talk myself out of this one?

It would be cheaper to buy this than haul Shenoa out for cleaning.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #40
Admiral

Just picked up a pair of brand new TackTick MN100-2 displays off Gumtree. Wind analog and dual digital instruments.

$400 total.