Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #81
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I'm guessing you may have already looked at Reefurl. They used to be based in Queensland. The whole thing was designed by a sailor/engineer, who wanted a simple, unbreakable yet cheap system. I bought two for two different boats. They're brilliant.
Here's a link:Reefurl Roller Reefing Roller Furling Systems

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #82
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Hadn't seen those before, but I just got a quote for a 24'er and it was $1015.00 so not exactly cheap. Their rope guide also looks a bit crude with those sharp edges.

Did the shopping today. Rowed ashore at 21:30 last night at high tide, into the shower at 07:30 and back with groceries by 10:00 on the morning high. $87.00 worth of basic should keep me going for a couple of weeks, except for the perishable stuff like bread and tomatoes.

I spotted a funny ad on eBay yesterday. Guy selling a yacht for $2100 but had a postage price of $100,000 listed. On a whim I sent him an email saying I though the delivery charge was a bit steep. His reply was priceless:

"It comes Born (sic) aloft On the backs of a team of eunuchs, with a 40 piece orchestra playing while a virgin scatters rose pedals from the bow.

Seriously though delivery is not available but eBay forces you to put a price in. It's pick up only. Though for 100k I will deliver it anywhere in the world."

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 AM   #83
Admiral

And while I remember ... after waiting a year to pull the trigger on the Tacktick stuff, yesterday I spotted almost a whole system for sale at $1100 on Gumtree. Yep, all the bits I just bought new were included, and even the NEMA interface which I didn't order.

Razzen-frazzen-mutter-mutter. Grrrr.

Display covers and mount plates were missing though. I made him an offer.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:55 AM   #84
Admiral

Auzzee: Emailed YotGrot, here's their response.

"We don't do consignment but always have a fair bit of used gear kicking around. Unfortunately or not, it is not catalogued but we have a pretty good idea of what's here so the best approach is to lets us know what you're after and we can tell you if we have it."

Like I said, too hard. If they can't be bothered to be organized, I can't be bothered to deal with them.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:02 AM   #85
Admiral

Perhaps you haven't seen a big marine salvage store before. It's the marine equivalent of a car wreckers yard. Except messier.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:32 AM   #86
Admiral

No, guess I haven't. I'll keep them in mind if I'm looking for something specific.

Just ordered the new sails from FarEast. Now let's see how long it takes before I find exactly the right secondhand ones at half the price ... 8^]

Old 10-12-2015, 02:37 AM   #87
Admiral

Sod's Law, right?
Good luck.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:25 AM   #88
Admiral

Just got a shipping notification from CH Smith. I like them even more now. In my first order I forgot to add the Fluxgate Compass so I logged straight back in and ordered it separately, but was charged a shipping fee, which wouldn't have happened if the whole lot had been ordered at once.

They noticed and refunded it. Now that's service.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #89
Admiral

Apparently I'm about to become the owner of a second set of Tacktick instruments, the seller liked my offer. Included are:

- T110 Digital Display with hard cover and mount
- T111 Dual Display with soft cover and mount
- T120 Wind Transmitter
- T121 Hull Transmitter with mount
- T122 NEMA Interface with mount
- T909 Fluxgate Compass
- T912 Speed/Temp Transducer
- T915 Depth Transducer

And one more item he had for sale in a different ad, which I combined:

- ShipModul MiniPlex-2Wi NEMA to WiFi Multiplexer

Here, have some photos. Now have a full set for each yacht, so I'll probably onsell the B&G stuff I bought earlier.

Expensive week, beans and rice for me for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
ticktack1.jpg   ticktack2.jpg   ShipModul.jpg  

Old 10-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #90
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Noodles and mash spuds was the staple at uni..
Old 10-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #91
Admiral

Back when I was a hippy I once survived for three weeks on half a carrot, a packet of dried lentils and some curry powder.

Wouldn't want to do it again though.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:49 AM   #92
Admiral

Just added up how much money I still need to spend before I can leave Australia in one of my yachts. Without having a look at the requirements of the RYA safety handbook, it goes something like this:

- Used Yanmar 10hp engine - $2500
- Qld power boat licence - $200
- Liferaft - $2000
- Haulout, fix hull, paint and work on the mast (furler, stays, antennas, lights) - $1800
- Yachtmaster Ocean training, inc prerequisites and ICC cert - $3000
- Sundry mandatory items ( medical kit, fire extinguishers, EPIRB ) - $500
- Windvane steering - $1500
- Australian ship registration - $1500
- All the other stuff I don't know about yet - $2000

That all comes to around $15000.00

Well, no wonder hardly anyone does this. Might be able to manage it by early in 2018 if nothing else goes wrong.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:00 AM   #93
Admiral

Dealing with Far East Sails has been quite an experience. They have consistently stuffed up almost every quote by being incapable of understanding the data submitted into their own forms. A minor dimensional change caused a massive $155 price jump, and it transpired that they had confused the specs on two totally different sails.

Neveretheless they do have a comprehensive review process so I finally paid the deposit today on a 125 genoa and mainsail.

Back to the Tacktick stuff from Gumtree, and after about eight emails I still can't get the guy's email address to send him the money. Some peope shouldn't own computers. Well, at least he seems to be getting out of yachting, which is a relief.

Total spent on Shenoa after that will be $12,000 so far. Really not too bad I suppose, some people spend that on maintenance in a year.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #94
Admiral

Just found the exact same engine and gearbox that's broken in Keppelena, for sale at $1,800. The guy bought it 15 years ago from Marine Diesel Traders, Brisbane in fully restored condition and it has sat in his garage unused ever since.

Unfortunately it's in Tasmania and weighs about 880kg.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 AM   #95
Admiral

Finally sealed the Tacktick deal tonight. Within a week or so I should be able to visit my brother and pick up two complete sets of instruments. Those special batteries I bought will come in useful I'm sure, since the last set purchased was the old style with the beige covers.

Only missing one NMEA interface now, which is fairly optional. Not bad at all.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #96

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

You don't *need* the Yachtmaster Ocean training but it might reduce your insurance premiums a bit. You only need the ICC. However Yachtmaster Ocean at $3000 is a pretty good deal, where's that at?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #97
Admiral

You pretty much need Yachtmaster Ocean to qualify for the ICC anyhow, according to my reading of it. The cost is a guesstimate based on prices for individual exams, I haven't actually totalled it up. AFAIK nobody really does proper training here, although some places do a day school where you can fix any visible missing knowledge in preparation for the exam.

My biggest problem would seem that I'm supposed to supply my own yacht for the practicals, as well as two extra crew. And the tester reserves the right to reject the vessel if he doesn't like it. And it has to meet RYA Safety Manual standards, etc etc.

In order to do the First Aid Course - or any other course for that matter - one now has to register for a government issued Unique Student Identifier, and it isn't optional even if you're not doing the training for work purposes. Jeez, they don't half make it tough to get qualified.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #98
Admiral

Training starts Saturday, I just booked in for the First Aid Course.

I checked out the requirements for the ICC. For sail you need to provide one of the following:

- RYA Day Skipper Sail (Practical) or Coastal Skipper Sail (Practical) Course Completion Certificate; or
- RYA/MCA Coastal Skipper or YachtmasterŪ Sail (coastal, offshore or ocean) Certificate of Competence; or
- RYA ICC assessment aboard a sailing yacht with auxiliary engine signed off in section 5

Not as onerous as I expected after all, even the Day Skipper ticket would do. How weird is that? Still, I probably should go ahead and do as much training as possible.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #99
Admiral

Here's the skinny on training with RYA:

Day skipper Shorebased Theory $595 (online, 40 hrs)
Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Offshore Theory $595 (online, 40 hrs)
RYA Ocean Yachtmaster Theory $670 (online)
Books required for the above: $80.00

Day Skipper or Coastal Skipper Practical $1440 (5 days)

At this point I can easily apply for an ICC.

Ocean Yachtmaster requires experience as a skipper so I'll need to go sailing up the coast for a few months, which will be really hard to take. :-)

Old 10-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #100
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

That is really hard to do...But just keep telling yourself that someone has to do it...So you will make the sacrifice.