Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #113
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Stand Easy and now Eleuthera as well

And you thought you were in for a dull evening in. I still have a vivid imagination, and the image of all that exercise in y fronts and singlet is mind boggling.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #114
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Y fronts and singlet? Geez, how old are you Squizzy? I haven't worn either item since my mother stopped buying my clothes 46 years ago. :-)

Just found out that BoatWorks in Coomera are doing a Xmas haulout special. Ten days free from 24 Dec 2015 to 4 Jan 2016. Looks like the perfect time to do my haulout.

Now I just need to find a 6hp long shaft 4-stroke at a reasonable price and I'm totally sorted with this little yacht. Well, that and about $1000 worth of paint, antennas, wiring, rigging hardware and tools.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #115
Ensign

Home Port: LongBeach, California
Vessel Name: Patricia A

A dead Dingo's Donger , I love you Aussies . Well ummm.. You know what mean .
Old 10-26-2015, 02:11 AM   #116
Admiral

We think you Californians are pretty special too, markwesti.

Toadly bitchen in fact.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #117
GOF

Still like my version..Wind swept decks, soggy y fronts and singlet, swearing like you had been slapped in the nuts with a wet fish...
Old 10-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #118
Ensign

Home Port: LongBeach, California
Vessel Name: Patricia A

Slapped in the nuts with a wet fish ! You guys are killin' me .
Old 10-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #119

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I'd be contributing more but work has kept me as busy as a one legged man in an a*** kicking contest.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #120
Admiral

"If it wasn't for bad luck,
Wouldn't have no luck at all."

Yep, ol' Booker T sure knew his stuff and today I feel like singing the blues.

It all started on 15th of October when I recharged the Optus Mobile Broadband device. I was supposed to get 22Gb of credit and only received 15Gb so naturally I made a complaint. I was told that because of the plan I'm on that was the amount I should receive. Now I paid cash for this device, all credit is prepaid and I was NOT told about any "plan" so naturally it went to the Telecommunications Industrry Ombudsman.

Optus assigned a Case manager from their Customer Relations Group, one Carly McXxxxxx who called me and tried to badger me into submission. Her arguments were so feeble that eventually, last Thursday, she sent me an email saying that I'd be given the extra credit after all. And then she wiped my account and went on holidays.

Now at the time I didn't know about this because I went to my brother's place to collect the mail and didn't arrive back at the yacht until Friday night. Since then I've spent $30.00 on mobile calls to their rather useless "Tech Support" which comprises an offshore sweatshop full of cheerful people who can barely speak English, who promise to find someone who can fix the fault then never get back to you.

Finally I remembered that I had Carly's number so I rang it. It went to a message bank telling me that she was on holidays until the 16th Nov and gave a backup number to call. Of course, that number isn't connected.

Well, I just finished filing a second complaint with the TIO in which I suggested that Carly's manager ream her a new one and fire her on the spot.

Do you think that might have been a little vindictive?

Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #121
Admiral

So, don't beat around the bush, I hear you all saying, tell us what's really on your mind.

Well all right, if you insist.

Collected my beautiful new secondhand TackTick system and brought it back to the yacht. I tested it Saturday morning and everything talked properly, which - as Del will tell you - is a minor miracle. I was particularly enamoured of the T111 Dual Display, which was one of the MN100-2 silver/gray models and looked all shiny new. They retail at about US$750.00

I can hear some preempting going on there, so wait for it. Wait for it.

So then I took the T111 and T110 displays and the wind instrument up to the deck and placed them on the companionway hatch for a bit of solar charging. I'd been back below for about 10 minutes and some ASSHAT in a power boat thundered by with such an enormous, inefficent draggy hull that every yacht in the whole river was thrown about madly. I had half the stuff on my benches land on the sole - cans of food, plates, detergent bottle, you name it. I'd only just collected all that together when I remembered the instruments.

Bolting back out the hatch I looked up top to see -- nothing. The wind instrument was still sitting on the bench seat, where I put it to ensure that a huge gust didn't blow it away, but both the digital instruments were gone.

I peered over the port side, nothing. I peered over the starboard side and spotted the T110 single display in four pieces on the very narrow deck edge. I hastily collected them together - main body, two rubber button moldings and top case - and reassembled it and it still worked, phew. But that beautiful T111 dual display had vanished into the water.

Looking gloomily at the water I decided I'd dive for it at low tide. Then I got in the dinghy to check the current using an oar and realized that it was running at 5 knots under there. And with the muddiness of that water I'd simply never find it again.

About two hours later I decided to test the bouyancy of these things in the hope that maybe it had sunk like a stone. I wrapped the T110 in Glad Wrap (tm) and dropped it into a bucket of seawater. It floated proud.

Damn! It was probably floating around the yacht when I first noticed it missing, and if I'd gotten up higher I probably could have spotted it and rowed to the rescue. Hopped in the dinghy and headed to the shoreline to see if it had ended up there, but the density of the ti-trees made it impossible to even see the water from there.

It's gone.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #122
GOF

Man....Some days I look more forward to your posts than the next weeks Bold and beautiful. At least more happens with you.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #123
Admiral

Yeah, I'm charmed all right. FML.

If I had buckets of money or loads more time on my hands none of this would matter a damn, but it's just another delay, yet one more reason that I'll never go sailing. As I stated back a few messages, it took me 18 months to find a good deal on this set of instruments.

Being poor really sucks.

I once told an American guy about all the businesses I've been involved in, and the skills I have ... won't go into details, but he sort-of looked at me funny and said, "If you'd done all that in the States you would have been a millionaire years ago." Yeah, that was the plan.

Now I just want to get the hell out of here.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #124
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Like sand through the hourglass.....
Mate, that's rotten luck. Better go buy a lottery ticket.

We're going to the boat show in Fort Lauderdale this week. I'll spot the new boat you're looking for.
Cheers.

Auzzee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #125
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Like sand through the hourglass.....
Mate, that's rotten luck. Better go buy a lottery ticket.

And while we're at it, I may as well get drunk and take drugs. But I don't.

Gambling is what's called "stupidity tax" as anyone with an inkling of mathematical sense can tell you.

Being a journo you should understand writing for the intended target. Well, I'm smart enough to know that a stupid person is so stupid that he doesn't know he's stupid. Which probably makes me a tad smarter than the average "fight, f*ck, ride motorbike, push wheelbarrow" kinda guy.

I know people like that, some of them are related to me. But to quote Jackson Browne, "I passed that point long ago." In fact I stopped listening to Jackson Browne long ago, too.

Just sayin'.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #126
Admiral

And besides that, last time I bought a lottery ticket I got 6 numbers and it paid a whole $31.20 which is the greatest insult I can imagine to the luckless. :-)