Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi everyone, I could use a bit of help. I’m new to the large boat sailing world and am trying to make the transition from land to sea life. I’m looking to live aboard and then sail around the world upon retirement. I would like my first boat to be the only boat I buy. If anyone could give me suggestions on what boat make/model I should look at I would appreciate it. It would be a full time live aboard motor sailor, anywhere from 30 to 42 ft preferably 42, comfortable for 2, extremely durable/safe, capable of world cruising. I’m also trying to keep the cost under or around $110,000. I’ve looked at the Hunter 42 and Catalina 42 (1991?). So far I’m really impressed with Catalina. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Flying fish

Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Take a look around the forums at what other folks have posted regarding thei choice of cruising sailboats.

When you budget for your boat, think in terms of price of boat = 60% and then you'll spend another 40% outfitting it as you need it to be. Therefore, if you've got $110K total, look at boats in the $60K-70K range at max.

You mention "motor sailor"...pretty much all sailboats these days have capable motoring capacity and can be motor sailed, I suggest you not look at true "motor sailors" as they often are limited in their real sailing abilities. If you do plan to motor most of the time, you might consider a displacement hull motor boat (e.g. a trawler type boat) as you'll find more room and comfort than that which you'll find aboard a sailing boat--and you'll operate for less money than motoring around in a sailboat as well.

If you haven't done much sailing on bigger boats, I heavily suggest you get out there and rent a few or sail with friends who have boats like those which you are considering. What is you sailing experience thus far? Where are you from and where do you sail?

Fair winds,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Admiral

Welcome to cruiser log - Brenda's thoughts on the type of vessel strike a real chord with me,

absolutely on the button.

With Brenda's own boat in mind - a real classic - my thoughts take me to another classic - Its a Shain Trimmership --- a Rumrunner. This one a beauty - beautifully restored by professionals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RumRunner.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	976

The price in the right ball park- check out the details (NB I have absolutely no connections with owners or their brokers) Trimmership

Richard
Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

Hi

Definetely comes down to personal choice/taste. I have what would be considered a fast cruiser. But to name a couple of yachts I would look at in no order of preference. Gulfstar, Tartan, Choy Lee. All of these boats would give you a very solid foundation with good accomodation and exceptional ocean crossing capabilities.

But please let me stress that a particular boats reputation for seaworthiness is absolutely nothing without the skippers skill to compliment the boat.

Good luck with your search

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue Lady

Challenger 39
Old 06-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qldcruiser View Post
Hi

Definetely comes down to personal choice/taste. I have what would be considered a fast cruiser. But to name a couple of yachts I would look at in no order of preference. Gulfstar, Tartan, Choy Lee. All of these boats would give you a very solid foundation with good accomodation and exceptional ocean crossing capabilities.

But please let me stress that a particular boats reputation for seaworthiness is absolutely nothing without the skippers skill to compliment the boat.

Good luck with your search

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue Lady

Challenger 39
Thank's all, for the information, i will give those brands a checking out. Yes, i'm looking for a sail boat and trying to not use the motor much but would want a very reliable motor. I have some experience sailing a 36ft cat and a sunfish which isn't much but I'm taking some classes to get a better handel on things. I'm out of San Luis Obispo so I'd be trying to buy on the west coast preferably north of my location. I appreciate the outfitting/buying percentage and the brand suggestions. Thank you very much.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Flying Fish,

I'm in the same situation as you just a bit ahead in the process... I'm semi-retired, and JUST bought my boat about a month ago.. my plan also is to live-aboard and fix her up and then take off for long-term long-distance cruising in a few years when I've finished upgrading her...

the best advice I can give you is, as cliche as it sounds, "Follow your heart"... I didn't, as is currently being discussed in another forum... I had my heart set on an old traditional rugged wooden gaff rigged cutter, ketch, or schooner... instead I found an amazing deal and ended up buying a very nice, solid as a rock, spacious production boat. A Pearson 365... she's only 36 foot but man is she beamy, loads of space sleeping 6 comfortably, and with a fridge bigger than some people have in their house, hot and cold pressure water, wind and solar power, walk in shower... you name it... but every time I go ashore and return I see her and I feel the same sense of pride that most apartment dwellers do (meaning none)... in my head I know she's a good boat and will take me around the world... but she just doesn't inspire the dream or spirit of adventure that I ultimately wanted in a boat.

Just remember... a boat's a lady... if you pick her based on reason and too much consideration she might be the smart pick but odds are you'll never love her... don't be impulsive but definitely follow your heart... not that she won't then drive you mad at times as well

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Ensign

Atavist thank's for the great response, that's pretty much the way I feel about it. I took a look at a few Pearson's on line, they are beautiful boats. I checked out a Tartan 42 as well which i really liked. It would be great if there was a web site that gave virtual tours. I've seen a few that have quite a bit of photos, but it really can't compare to a real walk through. I'm sure theyre out there, It just takes time to find them.

Thank's, Flying fish
Old 07-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #8
Commander

Based on your desire to "sail around the world" you should be looking for a full keel double-ender with a deep draft. There are basically three types of sailing boats: coastal/marina cruisers (like the Gulfstars) which are canoe bottom and fast but not very stable in big winds and heavy seas that you find out there 1000 nm from land; then there are "island boats" which are more "wineglass shaped" hulls with moderate draft (like the Tartan's, Pearson's, Beneteau's and Catalina's etc., etc.) which compromise between speed, nimbleness and ocean stablility; finally there are "ocean sailboats (sometimes referred to as "green water" sailboats), These are the heavy displacement, doublenders with "barn door" rudders and deep keels. These boats generally go one way only - forward in any type of seas and winds. They are notably slower than the others but the stable ride for weeks or months while crossing oceans is their big attraction.

You can "sail around the world" in any of the three types and lots of folks have done so - but there is a lot more work and risk to the faster, more nimble boats versus the highly stable "green water" boats. If you are looking for some good "round the world" boats, try places like the various Caribbean islands; Trinidad; and Central American areas where a lot of heavy displacement, proven ocean boats are available with really economical prices.