Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #169
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

I have a mate who works in a fabrication joint. I may be able to call in a favour and get him to take the bracket to work with him if we don't have the tools to do it. You'd need a grinder with SS cutting disc and grinding disk. Or a vice with few hacksaw blades a flat file and a lot ad patience. Sounds like a fun challenge.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:32 AM   #170
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
Good for you ...so did he offer to pump her out???
He can't, I have the only key. I'll be copying it and sending one to my brother later in the week.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #171
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_winning View Post
I have a mate who works in a fabrication joint. I may be able to call in a favour and get him to take the bracket to work with him if we don't have the tools to do it. You'd need a grinder with SS cutting disc and grinding disk. Or a vice with few hacksaw blades a flat file and a lot ad patience. Sounds like a fun challenge.
I do have a grinder with a cutoff wheel, but drilling stainless is a bitch. We'll see how it goes on the day.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 AM   #172
Admiral

Pete, Just checked the photos to be sure. That U-bracket with the windex welded to it is bolted through the backstay, it can't come off without lowering the mast.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 AM   #173
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

The backstay is under very little load until your underway. If we can add a temporary rope backstay and slacken the wire backstay we should be able to pop the bolt out and back in again without removing the mast. Is there a turnbuckle on the backstay or forestay?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #174
Admiral

There are large turnbuckles on the backstay at the end of the inverted V section.

This is interesting information because I'll need to add insulators to the backstay of the other yacht at some time for HF radio. And also I'd eventually like to move the backstay on Keppelena to the roof of a new section I'll be building so it's out of the way. I had suspected this could be done, good to have it confirmed.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #175
Admiral

I have no idea how I got along without an orbital sander. Man, that thing sure produces some work, especially when doing internal ceilings.

Took some more photos today to keep the blog going. First is a shot of the new fiddle blocks and mainsheet installed, the second is something I discovered when cleaning out the cupboards. How does this fit into a cupboard, you may ask. Well, it doesn't. What I actually found was a handle, and I went looking for where it fitted. Seems I have a boom furler, which I guess means I won't be needing lazy jacks after all Lexx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fiddleblocks.jpg (101.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg boomfurler.jpg (93.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #176
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Gasp ... you didn't know you had a boom furled by looking at it???

"""The backstay is under very little load until your underway."""

Be careful about relocating the back stays as they have a hell of a loading when under sail especially in a following breeze. make sure the mountings are solid.

Lexx
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #177
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Relocating the backstay to a roof needs some serious engineering consideration. The pressure on your sails when underway, and the weight of compression on your mast, even in a 35 footer, is HUGE. If your boat weighs 12 tons, the weight on your backstay when running before the wind, (which is trying to pull your backstay free), can easily exceed 20,000 pounds, plus the weight of the rig. (Your backstay is, I understand, currently split to halve the immense load at the attachments)

Those old furling boom doodads are not too flash. They can't be used to reef the main in a blow as any lateral pressure on the sail rendered them practically inoperable. They were never a substitute for lazy jacks where you can dump a sail quickly. They were designed as a means to neatly stow the sail after the anchor was set and worked reasonably well as long as the sail was newish and cut on the flat side. They could be used if one crew would release and slowly pay out the main halyard, whilst another crew did the crank and tuck dance. But the general use was to drop the main, pulling the slugs out of the track, then when the sail was free of the mast, to wind it around the boom whilst knocking back a beer or three.

Auzzee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #178
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
Gasp ... you didn't know you had a boom furled by looking at it???
In my defence, a) I'm a total noob, and b) the PO did so many other weird things I figured he wrapped it by hand. Never occurred to me to look under the cover until yesterday.

Auzzee, thanks for the explanation. I was figuring having to dash back and forth between furler handle and sheet winch.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #179
Admiral

Last night's effort. Rosewood is pretty, innit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grip.jpg (99.0 KB, 1 views)

Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #180
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

hey Rob we were all total noobs at some point but some of us forget that. I love seeing your enthusiasm and tis great to see what you are achieving. Any advice from me is only intended to make you think from a different perspective maybe.

Keep having fun with it and don't get too worried about the occasional stuff up, we all still have those.

Lexx
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #181
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

When I made the transition from power boats to sailing boats in the early 80's, I was lucky to have a particularly crabby, largely intolerent, but very knowledgable local chandler to give me instruction.

Whenever I went in to buy something he would demand to know what I wanted it for and would then lecture me about 'doing it bloody properly'. At the time I thought he was just a cantankerous old nuisance. But he was seriously never wrong.

For those who sailed through Darwin, he had the chandlery at the DSC. 'Cocky' passed away from cancer a few years back.

As a sailing neophyte, I was often left feeling intimidated and now, I wonder how I put up with it. However, our reason for being a part of CL is to both assist and receive assistance and to encourage those who have the occasional suicide day.

It's great to hear of your progress and I am one of many who look forward to sharing an anchorage with you at some stage.

Auzzee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #182
Admiral

Today was a tad damp (see photo #1) so I got into some of the internal work reserved for days when working outside is out of the question. Today's task was to replace the Negative Link From Hell (tm) with something more modern (photo #3). Hopefully this should eliminate the earth leakages I've been expoeriencing.

Sorry about the last photo, it was getting dark at 17:45 when I took it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rain.jpg (89.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg nlfh.jpg (100.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg neutral.jpg (99.5 KB, 1 views)