Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #197
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Thanks Lex, much appreciated.

Tonight I decided to test out the Icom M710 rig. It can be set for 20W, 60W or 150W and I selected 60W since I'm so close to land. Jumped on a regular 40 metre net called 7130 DX net and waited my turn, then receive signal reports of 5 by 9 from such diverse locations as the Adelaide Hills, SA and Kingaroy, Qld.

I'm satisfied with that.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #198
Admiral

Awesome night on the ham bands. Listened in as a couple of Aussies contacted the USA, Korea, China, Denmark, Mozambique (!), France, South Africa and a few other call signs I didn't recognise. All on the 40m band with about 400W.

Feature contact of the night was a novice with a 10W transmitter making it to Canada.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #199
Admiral

Pete, I noticed that you're heading off with Lex at the end of March, congratulations. Guess I'll have to start making plans to get the mast work sorted out.

I have here two 75ft coax cables, two VHF antennas and electrical mount hardware, and one replacement Ronstan pulley that all need to go up the stick some time before you leave. I'm looking for better retainer clips for the cable, the ones used previously have mild steel nails which means they'll doubtless fall off at some unspecified time in the future. And I still don't have a windex to fit.

Will give you a hoy when it all comes together here.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #200
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Sounds good mate. I'm in Sydney until late march and have plenty of weekdays free. Just let me know when you're ready and I'll pop down for the day. Happy birthday for the other week too.

Pete.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #201
Admiral

I've ordered a Davis 15 from the UK, should be here in about 10-14 days with luck. Meanwhile we could get the mast head down and modify it, if you still want to go that way and your mate is amenable to doing some drilling and welding.

While you're up there, the Ronstan pulley and coax cables could be fitted in readiness for the re-installation. Let me know if you're available later this week or early next week.

Rob

Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #202
Ensign

Early next week is best for me mate. Probably the Tuesday or Wednesday if it suits you?

Pete
Old 02-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #203
Admiral

Wednesday's good for me. Gimme a call when you're heading out, I'll keep the phone on.

Cheers.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #204
Admiral

Slammed by gale force winds for 30 hours, it was pissing sideways in Sydney until the wee hours this morning. Looks like I won't be going to the Dural hamfest, I'm just too worn out.

Fittingly, I had just hauled the dinghy aboard and performed a fibreglass repair when it hit on Friday evening. So I had the dinghy slamming around the deck and bouncing rain into the cabin just to make life more interesting.

Superstructure repairs continue to plod because of this weird rainy weather we're experiencing here in Sydney.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #205
Admiral

Pete has been around again. Today's task was to fit the new Windex to the mast. He unscrewed the backstay and handed down the bracket. I ground off the old one then filed the hole out and fitted the Davis 15 and passed it back up.

Bloody good job all round.

Photos:

1. Pete up the mast.
2. Everyone needs a photo of the top of their own head.
3. The new Windex in place.
4. The old broken wind indicator.
5. Pete buys me a beer for my birthday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pete 012.jpg (95.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Pete 011.jpg (112.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pete 014.jpg (70.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Image006.jpg (101.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Image005.jpg (82.8 KB, 7 views)

Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #206
Ensign

I spoke to my fabrication mate tonight and he said he was happy to take care of it for us. 2 - 2.5 mm flat bar no worries. 1 week turnaround. I just have to email him the plans tomorrow. It's amazing what you can get done over a beer.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #207
Admiral

Jolly good!! Thanks again Pete.

Lexx, you're getting a good man here.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #208
Admiral

Pete, If you haven't sent that diagram yet hold off until Monday. I'm consulting a radio engineer about the ideal separation between antennas to avoid interference on AIS when transmitting on the VHF radio. Should have an answer by then.

In the interim and FYI, maximum separation is needed not to avoid the Windex but to avoid blowing up the AIS receiver when I transmit. :-)

My thinking is that by selecting a separation of an odd multiple of 1/8 wavelength there will be very little signal transferred even if they're close together, but I need to verify this with an expert.

Err, sorry for the technobabble folks, we now resume our regular programme.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #209
Ensign

No worries. It's on hold.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #210
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Yeah I know Rob, I got a little job or two op the mast for Pete to do in the back of my mind ... need a wind vane installed and the fore deck log and steaming light doesn't seem to be working ... shhhh don't tell Pete or he might not want to come along.

Laughs ...

Lexx