Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #253

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Rob, the weather looks good this weekend so if you need a hand fitting the engine to the mount it can be done. It means rafting up (shudder) and using my main sheet as a handy billy to lift and lower the engine but I've done it before on a similar boat to yours and it made a tough job pretty easy. Let me know if you think this is worth doing -- only problem of course is then your outboard will be in the water while you're off in QLD.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #254
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1945 View Post
Hi Rob greetings to you ...Gosh you have really strained yourself to the limit ...you need to take things a little easier and slower you might need to go seek some medical advice ..I have to admire your ability to untake "challenges" however it seems to me like you are making good progress on the boat ...I wish I was there to give you a hand but I,m with you in spirit ...keep moveing forward you will get there in the end ..Please keep me informed of your progress
Cheers Tim
That ain't the half of it, I still have to work on Shenoa when I get to Brisbane. Oh yeah, and there's this dishevelled but loveable 56 ft Samson C-Baron ketch on eBay that's just crying out for attention, starting price of $2k. I emailed the owner for more photos and details.

Am I mad? Quite possibly. :-)

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #255
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
Rob, the weather looks good this weekend so if you need a hand fitting the engine to the mount it can be done. It means rafting up (shudder) and using my main sheet as a handy billy to lift and lower the engine but I've done it before on a similar boat to yours and it made a tough job pretty easy. Let me know if you think this is worth doing -- only problem of course is then your outboard will be in the water while you're off in QLD.
Mate, that would be AWESOME. Not worried about leaving it on the mount at all, I'll be fitting one of those bolt-cutter proof chain locks to it. Besides, it would take some serious effort to lift it off again.

In the long run I'll have a solar panel frame out there that can be used to hoist it aboard, but for now a skyhook is the ticket. Let me know which day you're planning to come over.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #256
Admiral

So, yesterday's effort. I took it fairly easy actually, just completed the routing of the VHF antenna cabling through the yacht to the appropriate place and terminated the cables with connectors. Now have both antennas operating.

The SWR on the radio antenna is a bit high, it's 3:1 across the whole band. May need to tweak that, but since it only represents a loss of 25% of the power I'm not overly concerned right now, as long as the radio can cope with the mismatch.

Did a quick test and I can key the channel 21 and 82 repeaters but Sydney Marine Rescue can't hear me on channel 16 at all, probably due to my being inland from them by several km and their antennas would naturally point out to sea.

I wanted to use the 12V wiring conduit but the cables wouldn't easily fit, so I did the sensible thing and ran the antenna cables external and parallel to the conduit so that additional electrical wiring can be installed without problems.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #257
Admiral

Today I decided to investigate the chain locker, it's the only part of the boat I hadn't really investigated thoroughly. I was actually looking for a petrol container for the outboard, and had noticed one there some time ago.

Well, I found much more than I bargained for there. On top was the dinghy anchor I put there some weeks ago after finding it in a cupboard one night while cleaning. Then came not one but two full-sized anchors. Finally I found the 10L petrol canister I was looking for, and a smaller one which smelled somewhat of diesel.

But wait, what's this 10 gallon tin here? Nuplex Escon GP35?? Nevereardovit. A quick search on the internet tells me it's a fibreglass resin with a shelf life of 3 months. But there sure is a lot of it so I'll be testing small quantities out on non-critical areas. Hey, I've been paying $30 a litre for this crap off eBay so if it works I just found a fortune's worth. Just need a heap of MEKP to set it off.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #258
Admiral

Trekked to the post office today, by bus. $4.40 and two hours wasted, must fix that van. I did, however, get what I was after ... a pair of new 120Gb SSD drives for the laptops.

0.15W power usage vs 2.5W for the rotating type, and they're screamingly fast too. I also bought Lenovo T60 UltraBay caddies for the old drives so they can be used as backups, just plug-n-play.

These drives are down to less than $1.00/Gb so quite the right time to pension off the ancient mechanical monsters. The Samsung cloning software is totally painless to use and I had both laptops done in about 90 minutes.

Also picked up the correct fuel adapter for the Evinrude outboard, without which it can't be connected to a tank ... about $23.00 or so posted. Don't have to worry about 2-stroke oil, found some of that in the chain locker yesterday too.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #259
Admiral

One of those funny-looking catamarans I mentioned recently:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amphib.jpg (100.7 KB, 6 views)

Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #260
Admiral

Well we managed to get the outboard on yesterday, here's what she looks like. Dark section on the transom is where the old body filler was dug out in preparation for cement, the proper way to repair it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outboard1.jpg (102.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg outboatd2.jpg (90.8 KB, 5 views)

Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #261
Admiral

After that Del was kind enough to take us for a run down the Parramatta River to inspect a Samson C-Baron 56'er that's for sale. The concensus was that a chunk had probably broken off the keel because she was listing badly to port. I think this one's a gonner.

Nice to see Taryn again too, and the day went without mishaps if you neglect to mention Del's case of tummy problems early in the day. All good, thanks Del.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #262
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Haven't you been busy? If you can sort your steering out you'll be able to take her for a run and get some sail up.

My trip is back on track after meeting up with Travisty at Lizard Island. We've covered a touch over 200 Nm since I jumped aboard and even had all her canvas up for a while the other day. First time I'd played with a stay sail which was fun. The highlight has definitely been waking up at 0330 and getting in the couple of bourse of night sailing under the stars.

The other great highlight has been the people along the way, both this crew and other cruisers / fisho's / locals. I'm having a ball and it sounds like you are too.

Pete.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #263
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_winning View Post
Haven't you been busy? If you can sort your steering out you'll be able to take her for a run and get some sail up.
Fixing the steering is a doddle now that the darned outboard is out of my way. There's a hand-carved "tiller" under the hatch and I'll just need to fashion some sort of attachment to the pivot. I don't plan to raise any sails this visit, maybe when I come back in October.

Glad to hear things are going better up there. Say hi to Lex for me.

Rob

Old 04-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #264
Admiral

Just got back from taking the VW Transporter van to Caltex Lane Cove West for a repair to the gear selector. Evidently it's a bitch of a job, and made more complex by fitment of the LPG conversion right in the way of access to the repair. I was quoted $400 in labour alone and they can't start on it until Wednesday. FML. But it needs to be done right now or I don't get to Qld.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #265
Admiral

Finally started on probably the hardest job on the superstructure, the roof repair. Took off the boom slider (pic 1) which was a task in itself because of rusted fixing bolts, then cut out the bad section (pic 2) and finally cut an inset outside of that (pic 3) so that the repair is stepped and less likely to leak.

I was going to use two 6mm pieces but the van isn't available and I do have 4mm ply, so will be using three thicknesses of that instead. Lots of glue, brass nails and polyester resin to go, and I still have to rebuild the support beams which have rotted out on the port side ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roofnoslider.jpg (101.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg roofrotcut.jpg (102.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg roofoverlap.jpg (101.1 KB, 1 views)

Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #266
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

That's a major job and I don't envy you. The main sheet traveller is critical in all aspects of sailing when you have the mainsail set. The track itself may need to be able to support several tons of pressure applied at 90 degrees to the track depending on the size of your mainsail and the displacement of your boat.

The manner of fixing is vital. First you need to be sure the coachhouse roof is up to the job, and that the structural beams holding the roof down are sufficiently strong to overcome both the direct lifting force of the sail and boom, as well as having the lateral strength to overcome any distorting force placed on the structure when the mainsheet car is outboard, away from the middle of the track.

The forces applied to the structure and to the stoppers at each end of the track can be enormous. If you sail without a preventer the force of an accidental gybe is awesome and unless the structure is very solid indeed, significant damage can easily occur.

The time when the most danger threatens is more closely approached as the wind speed increases, and sea conditions deteriorate. If you are unsure of any part of the structure to which the traveller is attached, it may be worthwhile to add a reinforced steel padeye through the deck, and move the mainsheet along the boom to a point slightly aft of the padeye, which can then double as a mainsheet attachment, something which could be prudent unless you are going to replace all the structural timbers and joints in the coachhouse roof. Sailing thus, with a fixed attachment, would necessitate rigging both a preventer and a vang as a matter of course.. especially if sailing downwind, but it may be preferable to an unplanned morph from sedan to open topped convertible.

It's great to see you progressing so quickly. Your dedication is an inspiration.
Cheers.

Auzzee is online now   Reply With Quote