Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #57
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The wire to cordage halyard is in all liklihood,very old. I suggest using it to draw a new all cord halyard through. It might be a good idea to service the winches before trusting them too much. A sticky pawl could have dangerous consequences.

I've attached a Yachting Monthly, Step-by-step guide to winch servicing here http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileB...h_ym_04_06.pdf

Most winches are similar in detail. Some use circlips rather than screw-ons at the cap. Be extra careful when sliding out the pawls. The tiny little spring behind each is vital, yet it is very fine and unless handled carefully will spring out, over the side and into the great pawl spring receptacle we call the ocean. I once lost a spring and a needle roller bearing in one disasterous sitting.

Do you have a hollow spar, or is the mast solid timber? Just wondering if the halyards are led up inside the mast or are they external. It makes a difference in the ease with which you can locate and snag the tail of the halyard when the 'monkey' retrieves it.

Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #58
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Yes, all new halyards are on the agenda. The mast is solid, everything's external thankfully.

Thanks for the file.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #59
Admiral

Still working my butt off here, although most improvements aren't apparent to the naked eye. The two dome lights arrived and were fitted, the radio licences and registration papers have been mounted in frames and the hall ceiling has been painted, these items are obvious. What's less obvious are the myriad items done inside cupboards and the minor incremental changes.

Cable tied all the 12V wiring leading to the batteries. Added a junction box to cover a join in the 240V wiring. Cleaned and painted one wall section in the galley. Bypassed an open-circuit negative wire to get an existing dome light working and fitted LED bulbs to it. Ripped out many cable clips that no longer held cables. Added a neutral link in the aft cupboard and wired it direct to battery negative to avoid a long redundant loop through the switchboard. Filled unused switch holes in head and painted over the filler. Bought and fitted a hook-and-eye to the v-berth hatch. Lots of little things.

The 60 grit paper I've been using on the cabin roof wasn't cutting it, so to speak, so I bought 40 grit yesterday. Much better. Also sizing and searching for various pieces of timber to replace weathered and broken bits.

It's a chore, but I'm having a ball. I think I'm happiest about finally having a light in the head.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #60
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsquizzy View Post
And only ten ton ?... Would of thought she had a tad more weight than that
Naah, that's about right. This 38' South Seas is stated to be 12 ton, mine's only 35'.

http://http://www.afloat.com.au/aflo...h#.UMFDDayANYs

Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #61
Admiral

For a change I cooked a proper meal tonight instead of making sandwiches or opening a tin of soup. The recipe comes from Bruce, an old flatmate.

Fry one chopped brown onion in oil until clarified, then add a mug of cold water. Throw in a packet of instant rice - sate, chicken or oriental work best - and crush one pack of instant noodles in as well. You can throw away the flavour sachet, it isn't needed. Add a small tin of tuna (drained) and stir on low heat until the water is soaked up. Then add half a tin of coconut milk and half a tin of pineapple pieces and heat for a few minutes more to heat the pineapple and soak the coconut milk into the rice and noodles.

Voila! Takes about 5 minutes, costs $5.00 a serve and it's delicious. Serves two.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #62
Admiral

Cleaned the barnacles and green slime off the rest of the hull from the dinghy yesterday, and might have to do some fishing as I noticed a curious and fair sized bream hanging about.

Started on the paint repairs to the hull after buying 2L of matched paint Thursday but the wind beat me and so I had to quit with only half the transom done. The surface comes off in sheets, a product of not one but two poorly done paint jobs. At base we have a cream colour directly on the concrete, then there's a layer of a sticky substance that hasn't set, no idea what that is but it's water based thankfully and washes off. Then there's Lobelia Blue, a nice colour to my mind but the last owner decided to cover that with light grey. He didn't remove loose paint or sand anywhere, and most places seem to be holding but in some areas it's falling off. So I'm having to peel, scrape, wash then paint. I use bilge water for the washing - I tasted it and it isn't salty, just rain water - to save drinking water.

The 100AH battery hasn't been supplying enough grunt and I suspected it was tired, so last night got on ebay and bought a pair of Century 100AH AGM marine batteries for $280 which is quite a bargain.

Total costs have now gone over $10k for this project, but that includes rego, mooring fees, mooring inspection, a bunch of radios and electrical stuff that I won't use, ham licence, HF marine licence, various tools, two dinghies and all sorts of sundries that wouldn't happen in a normal year. I expect another $5k and 6 months will finish it.

Still a damned cheap boat.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #63
Admiral

Fitted the HF radio after painting the wall near the exit hatch. Looks like it was meant to be there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kestrel.jpg (99.1 KB, 2 views)

Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #64
Admiral

Some new photies for ya.

1. Deck rot stripped back and drying.
2. Ugly transom.
3. Handsome transom.
4. Too much white inside so I repainted the centre strip grey throughout the boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deck rot.jpg (101.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg transom1.jpg (104.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg transom2.jpg (103.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg wall.jpg (77.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #65
Admiral

Pulled the sails out of storage tonight to inspect them and figure out what I have exactly. The first to come out looks to be a storm jib, it was only 12' along the root. Made by Lee Sails in HK and marked "KPL" for Keppelena I assume.

The second was a #2 (this was marked on it) and bore the faded inscription of Hood on the brand tag. Number is SM666, probably owned at some stage by a kinky devil worshipper knowing my luck.

Tonight I invented a new recipe on the spot and it came out so well I'll share it.

Boil a handful of rice with the lid on so that it absorbs water rather than boiling it off. Meanwhile chop one brown onion and throw it into a frypan with some oil. Don't heat it yet, I'm assuming a single burner stove here. Once the rice is mostly cooked, drain it and wash to remove the glugginess, then refill with about a cup of water. Fry the onions until clarified then add the rice, some salt and ground pepper to spice it a bit, and a packet of instant beef noodles with the flavour sachet to give it a little of what Escoffier would call "umami". Then add a drained can of corn kernels and cook until almost ready to eat. Finally throw in one drained can of peas and a sachet of Keens curry powder. If you have any sultanas around they would also go well, I didn't have any. Continue to cook while stirring until the peas are heated and curry is disbursed evenly.

There ya go then. Bon appetit!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #66
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Good to see it's coming along well. Appreciate the updates.....but I'm not so sure about the tucker!

Keep 'em coming!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #67
Admiral

Don't knock the nosh until you've tried it!

Forgot to mention, the sails appeared to be in perfect condition apart from some rust coloured staining and wrinkles. Not a stitch missing anywhere and all hanks present and accounted for.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
timmaykiem
This message has been deleted by delatbabel. Reason: spam, in vietnamese
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #68
Admiral

Thanks timmaykiem, but I already have a forklift licence.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #69
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Hi Haiqu,

Do you still need a monkey for your mast jobs? I may be able to help. I'm an Industrial Rope Access operator and qualified rigger. Check out Industrial Rope Access Trade Association for more details on our industry. I can bring my gear and take care of your mast issues quite quickly. If you don't have any available halyards, don't worry. I wouldn't rely solely on just an old halyard anyway. I've been following your project and will be happy to do it at no cost. You may need a little patience though as I am going away tomorrow on holidays for 10 days. So it would have to be just before christmas if you can wait that long.

Let me know if you need a hand.

Pete.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #70
Admiral

Mate, you just became my new best friend!

I have 20 metres of brand new double knit 14mm rope here if that's adequate. But I'm sure you'll be able to advise on what's required anyhow, even if you have to come out for a look first. Even just putting up some cheap string to haul ropes through later would be one option.

Let me know when, I'm definitely interested. You can SMS me on 0452 464 774 any time.

Auzzee, did you see what just happened there? Must be Christmas.