Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #81
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Hardwood rails for the seating base are in place now. This section was totally missing when I got the boat - along with the tiller - and in all likelihood had simply rotted away and been discarded.

The crappy ply cover stays until I get a roof over the working area to stop rain water filling the bilges. I'm probably going to make that with the solar panels to get them off the cabin roof and out of the shade of the sails.

One small problem is that I can't totally enclose the rear because the boom overhangs the roof. I'll think of something ...
Attached Thumbnails
rails.jpg   seating.jpg  

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #82
Admiral

Navigation lights are now running. I had already bought some LEDs for my car and they were never used, it needs longer ones.

Also painted the door to the head in the same grey used on the hull and some internal walls. Now it's visible instead of vanishing into the hallway wall. While I was at it a heap of old broken door catches were removed and the resultant holes filled. Much tidier.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #83
Admiral

Repaired and painted a VHF antenna mount. Dug out dry rot around a window frame and hit it with Everdure, will apply some filler tomorrow.

Got the shower working!! That's a big one, feeling much better.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #84
Admiral

A few more photos:

1. Started on the repairs to the deck. "I came, I saw, I concreted."
2. Bent side rails. Will remove the wire and straighten these soon.
3. Rot in the cabin roof. Difficult repair with compound curves.
4. Window frame ready for patching.
5. Historic steam ferry going past my mooring.
Attached Thumbnails
concrete.jpg   rails.jpg   side rot.jpg   window.jpg   steamer.jpg  

Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #85
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Vene, vidi, vichyssoisse! I came, I saw, I ate the soup!
It's all about having fun and revelling in the results. Good onya, it's going well.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #86
Admiral

Concrete damage? What concrete damage?
Attached Thumbnails
concrete repaired.jpg  

Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #87
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

It sounds like you've been working your butt off. The pictures are showing some real progress.

I'm still good for Monday. We'll see how much we can get done between us and if our combined knowledge doesn't get results than we'll take a few photos and see if any internet friends like Auzzee can shed any light.

Congratulations on what you've achieved so far. I'll call you over the weekend.

Pete.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #88
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

@ Haiqu ... if you are going to have someone climb your mast I suggest buying a coil of light rope and running a length through each block or pulley at the top of the mast the securing it at the bottom by both ends for each block or pulley that is up top ... then once you figure it all out you can simply attach the halyards you need onto the guide rope and pull them through .. means not having to climb the mast again and makes it simple.

Lexx
Old 12-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #89
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_winning View Post
It sounds like you've been working your butt off. The pictures are showing some real progress.

I'm still good for Monday. We'll see how much we can get done between us and if our combined knowledge doesn't get results than we'll take a few photos and see if any internet friends like Auzzee can shed any light.

Congratulations on what you've achieved so far. I'll call you over the weekend.

Pete.
No worries Pete, I'll leave the phone on. Out all day tomorrow and won't have the phone with me, I'll be helping delatbabel with an engine issue.

Rob

Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #90
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
@ Haiqu ... if you are going to have someone climb your mast I suggest buying a coil of light rope and running a length through each block or pulley at the top of the mast the securing it at the bottom by both ends for each block or pulley that is up top ... then once you figure it all out you can simply attach the halyards you need onto the guide rope and pull them through .. means not having to climb the mast again and makes it simple.

Lexx
Yeah, did think of that (see post #70) but haven't bought any yet. It's on tomorrow's shopping list. :-)

Rob

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #91
Admiral

And here's the starboard side done.
Attached Thumbnails
concrete starboard.jpg  

Old 12-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #92
Admiral

1. Posts straightened and safety wires replaced
2. Pile of leftover rusty junk and plastic

Lines are much cleaner with the 10mm plastic tubing removed and straight runs. Replaced all ferrules, thimbles and turnbuckles.

Post #84 has the "before" shots of these wires.
Attached Thumbnails
rails after.jpg   leftover wire.jpg  

Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #93
Admiral

Ebay woes. Ordered a carpenter's mallet from the UK on 13 Dec and a set of chisels from Victoria on the same day. They both arrived today. Disgraceful.

Ordered four LED globes for my dome lights, only 3 worked. Disgraceful.

Still waiting for 23 items to arrive, some as far back as 14 November. Disgraceful.

Australia Post has lost my car registration papers. Disgraceful.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #94
Admiral

Being battered by power boats the past few days. This makes keeping things on the shelves difficult, and using the internet impossible. One water skier, one with kids on a rubber ring, and several just motoring up and down for no apparent reason. Damn them and the Johnson Seahorse they rode in on.

Ebay purchases continue to dribble in, but there are lots of days when there's nothing to do but sanding, which gets mighty tiresome. I really need that 18ga red wire I ordered to rewire the boat but it might be another week yet.

Plonked the old marine battery into the van last time ashore, a week ago. Today I tried it and it wouldn't start, and measured 11.12V without constant trickle charging by the solar panels. So I had to jump-start it from the original battery. Yep, I'm glad that got replaced.

Another quick recipe, just for Auzzee (you'll get no vichyssoise here, matey!):

Boil a handful of rice then drain it. Clarify a brown onion in oil (are we noticing a pattern yet?) with a spoonful of Masterfoods minced garlic, add instant noodles and rice and a mug of water and bring to the boil. Add one can of four-bean mix (drained) and cook for 10 minutes, then add a can of whole peeled tomatoes (drained) and a splash of Mae Ploy Sweet Chilli Sauce. Simmer for another 10 minutes, then ... Om Nom Nom!!

Note: "one can" in recipes here refers to the 400g cans you'd see on the supermarket shelves.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #95
Admiral

Managed to fritz the 1000W inverter the day I installed the new batteries. I have it simply clamped to the posts with big alligator clips and I inadvertently put it on backwards ... hey, stupid I know but it was 1:30am and I was working under the stairs in the dark. Anyhow, I ordered a pack of 40A blade fuses to replace the two that had blown and with vain hope fitted them today when they arrived in the mail.

Bingo, fixed. These little Digicell units are fairly robust for a $34 item, I highly recommend them. Oh, and that's why you always buy a spare. And a pack of fuses.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #96
Ensign

Home Port: s

So How did the mast work go?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #97
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
So How did the mast work go?
Ah. Pete was called back to work early, we've deferred until after 10 January.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #98
Admiral

Bit of a spendy day today.

Supermarket $107.50
Hardware store $206.85
eBay $65.00
Fuel $25.00 or so.

On the other hand I did buy enough supplies for three weeks, and the hardware items included a new 18V hammer drill (with two battery packs) so that I can fit the outboard; all in all not too bad really.

The ebay item was a ca. 1980 HF radio - a Wagner 1729H - that I intend to convert to regular ham use. Power is 100W and it's capable of working to 17MHz which should be plenty. A nice companion to the PCM Kestrel, which will remain as a dedicated marine radio.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #99
Admiral

Finally found the ID plate on Keppelena, confirming that she was logged with Waterways NSW in March 1978. Building probably commenced some 3-5 years earlier. This made me smile, since I was living in Sydney in the 70s and the idea of someone toiling over this in their backyard at the same time appeals to me.

Now I'm wondering who the builder was. The history I have only extends to the past two owners, back to 2006 or so.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #100
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Try sending a note to Cruising Helmsman. Frequently, they will publicise restoration projects where new owners are seeking historic info.
Cheers

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote