Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #29
Home Port: Skipton
Default Sound advice

Reading the replies you are getting some good advice but let me give you some sound advice having sailed Europe for over 30 years. Buying a boat is not your biggest problem, sailing inexperience is! Don't be under any illusion you can just set off across the Atlantic to Europe and it be easy, in fact it is one of if not the most difficult crossing you will ever have to endure in your life, I am telling you this as fact as I have sailed in the Atlantic, it can be absolute hell with waves as high as your mast. I would advise either buying a boat in Europe have yours carried across but do not attempt it yourself. You will not be able to earn a living over here as even the people here who have long standing diving and chandlery and boat repair skills have little work. Remember one thing when heading for Europe, depending on where you are from depends on how you get treated. That's not racist in anyway it's fact. The locals will not allow you to poach any work and the tourists will not use any one other than the locals. One piece of advice you have been given is spot on, take 2 years to plan it and visit and charter just to see how it works but you will need ICC.
Good luck.

Hiady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:33 AM
This message has been deleted by Auzzee. Reason: spam
Old 01-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #30
Home Port: Zarcero

Originally Posted by bschlott View Post
Hello everyone
This is my first post on here so please be gentle with me. I am seekin some advice about what boats would be suitable for a family of 4 to curcumnavigate on. We have no real preferences yet as we have never sailed. Also what options are there for work while we're out sailing the high seas. I have a back ground in diesel mechanicing and my wife is a perpetual student. I have been recently laid off and we're interested in using everything in savings to just buy a boat and leave. Is this even a plauseable idea let alone a practical one?
You have never sailed and you want to circumnavigate. You are getting good advice about boats here. Let me advise, "Learn to sail."

The dream and the reality of sailing long distances are very different. There is so much to learn. It's not that difficult, but it's foolish to just jump in. Someone will be happy to take your money.

Think in terms of a few years of planning and learning, before you buy. Consider the serious nature of the journey and the safety of your family.

I'm not saying to not go. I'm saying be sure you know what you're doing before you buy. Make sure that all of the family members buy into the reality of long days confined to a small vessel.

Tom Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:01 AM   #31
Home Port: Royston

I had a ferro boat under me when I hit the reef in Fiji, my first offshore boat. Broke up like a watermelon dropped on a sidewalk. Steel would have suffered little, if any damage in the same conditions.One 36 footer of my design pounded on a west coast Baja beach for 16 days, in up to 12 ft surf, and was pulled off thru 12 ft surf, with minimal damage. Another pounded across 300 yards of Fijian coral reef leaving Suva, and was pulled back of thru the same big surf, with minimal damage.
I switched to steel after losing my first boat, and would not consider anything else.
My 540 gallon per day watermaker cost me around $700. I built it myself.Wolf Berg
( wolfwatermakers.com) who put me onto it, said the main source of problems with watermakers is electric drive .Mine simply uses a V belt of the main engine.
On my last trip from BC to Tonga, and back, I didn't have my watermaker yet, but took no water from ashore.I caught all I needed off my mainsail and decks.
My mainsail lazy bag , held up by lazy jacks, caught a lot off it at sea. In squalls, it poured out the front end, and into a bucket.

Below the waterline , my steel boat needs little maintenance, as the zincs protect it. Being a twin keeler, which spend weeks at a time drying out on every tide, the bottoms of my keels have rarely had any paint on them, in the last 32 years , but are in perfect condition. Any time I see any rust , I weld another zinc on and it disappears ,never to return ,unless I let the zinc disolve. So I weld another on and the rust washes off and doesn't get replaced.
A steel hull under you is a huge safety factor, even more important when you have family aboard.
The Sleavin family would have had far better chance of surviving, had their boat been steel.
One client I built a 36 for, who had sailed his fiberglass boat from BC to New Zealand and back, said the improvement in peace of mind his steel hull gave him, sailing at hull speed on a dark foggy night, was huge.
( Search Silas Crosby)
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #32
Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have had all mediums, with the exception of aluminium, on a variety of my boats over the years. I confess I feel more secure in my current steel boat than I have felt in any previously.

There is a trade off in being more proactive when addressing potential maintenance issues, but that goes with the territory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02346 (Large).jpg (96.3 KB, 0 views)

"if at first you don't succeed....Redefine success"!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote