Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Interior cabin design

I have just recently changed the main engine which meant man handling a larger yanmar marine diesel through the interior cabin and hoisting through the cabin skylight. Half of the cabin interior had to be disassembled to get it out.

I had thought about going back to the original dormitory style cabin but carpenters were none too happy working with mahogany and teak which are sometimes restricted here in the Philippines. As the carpenters are expert in working with bamboo. I went along with the plan to have a saloon/office, lounge and master sleeping cabin all done in bamboo lattice, and strip bamboo. They are able to create intricate shapes,arches, designs with different hues of bamboo. and more light compared to mahogany and teak which made it look like the reading room of the British library.

It took around 0ne month from start to finish including harvesting the bamboo to complete the interior. I am very pleased with the results but remains to be seen regarding the durability. My house is mostly of bamboo and the interior and looks good after 10 years with annual coats of varnish

Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Weeki Wachee, FL

Sounds great, but do you have any pics?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Bamboo is great stuff. I'd also like to see pictures. I've cut thin strips of wood to weave basket fronts for my cabinets that used to have that pre-made rattan wicker stuff. Bamboo would have been better but I had the wood already.