Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Watch out for those coconuts

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Are both the boom and mast made from timber or aluminium?
Mast is timber, boom is ali, bracket is stainless.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
In 2004, 17 people world wide were killed in shark attacks. That's the most in any recent year. In the same year, 43 people were killed by falling coconuts.
Did the stats say how many people were attacked and survived, but with a big chunk missing?

And btw, the "death by coconut" thing is urban legend, shame on you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_coconut

Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Admiral

No word yet from my crane guy, which is a bit of a worry. It has been windy here, gale warnings for two days, so I've spent time cleaning and painting. Well, it had to be done some time.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Contacted my crane barge guy by email yesterday, not much point taking everything apart if he can't do the job. He did mark it down in April so I hope it's still going to plan.

But today I remembered an issue that makes using the boom for lifting impossible. The screws holding the boom to the mast are loose and need fixing. I have three possible solutions, comments appreciated:

1. Drill out the bracket and fit larger screws. Hard to do, the bracket is an odd shape and covers access.
2. Lower the boom (ooer!) and drill out the holes and dowel them, then drill through the dowels for new holes. Might be hard to drill down the grain with a hand drill.
3. Same as 2 above, but epoxy over the dowel ends and move the boom 10mm up or down and drill fresh holes in the mast itself.
I think the major problem is to ensure the mast remains strong. If it's a square section made from four separate lengths of Oregon or similar, the area beneath the existing screws may well be internally strengthened (ie. Not hollow). If that's the case, moving the boom may not be such a good idea.

I don't know much about wooden spars, but I wonder if an external, 2 part, stainless sleeve and a bit of creative welding (to attach the gooseneck) might be a good solution. I assume the existing screws have worked loose in good timber, rather than the screws failing to hold on to a rotted base.

I envisage a sleeve of about 200mm in length, made up of two 'U' shaped sections which can be clamped together using bolts through welded lugs on one section, and into welded on nuts on the other.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #20
Admiral

This is one of those cases where a picture is worth a thousand words. There are wrap-around brackets with pins through the mast but the timber is cracking vertically due to stresses there. The line of screws aft (vertical line) are loose, the wood isn't rotted just worn.

It could even be as simple as using wood filler in the screw holes. Welding isn't an option without access to shore power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image000.jpg (94.5 KB, 6 views)

Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #21
Admiral

Picked up the Silicon Chip / Jaycar Ultrasonic Antifouling kit at the post office today. At $260.50 shipped and about 4 hours' assembly it represents extraordinary value against the nearest commercial competitor, which sells at $800 retail.

Can't wait to get it deployed, but must wait until my next trip ashore for the mounting hardware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antifoul.jpg (102.6 KB, 4 views)

Old 10-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
Admiral

After rust sealing and painting the concrete under-deck ledges in the galley a few days ago the main ugly feature in the cabin was the stove, which I had never touched due to the complexity of cleaning it. Well I couldn't sleep so got up at 4am and scrubbed it down. Apart from the enameled top, which has rust flakes and needs to be sandblasted and painted, the whole thing now gleams.

Uh, well OK maybe that's an exaggeration for a 35yo stove, but it sure looks a lot better. I had no idea how much that one ugly dirty item was affecting the look of the living area. What a difference!

The whole of the interior is now up to what I'd call a "livable" standard. Not flash or opulent, just functional and livable. Anything done inside from here on out is in the direction of gilding the lily, with the possible exception of the roof above the head which is still something of a concern due to repeated fungus attacks.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
Admiral

The job for this week is to rebuild the helm. Today I ripped it out and cleaned the inside of the hull below. That included removing half a bin bag worth of bird's nests, timber scraps, bolts, dirt and anything else that had fallen down there in the past 35 years.

Tomorrow I plan to give it a scrub then do a run to the hardware store. There's some nice timber being removed that would probably be usable for other small projects if I had a place to store it, but room is tight so it will probably be thrown out. This irks my scrounger nature immensely, but with an inspection coming up I can't be seen to be hoarding rubbish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helm-1.jpg (89.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg helm-2.jpg (92.0 KB, 6 views)

Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #24

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Good luck, again, with getting everything done. Always too bad to throw away useful bits of material, but if you don't have a plan for what you'll do with the useful bits then it is probably leaning towards the side of (useless) hoarding anyway

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #25
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I agree with Brenda. On my last boat (which had a huge internal space at 55') I kept 'stuff' which might one day be useful. This stuff which consisted of stainless offcuts, timber offcuts, and interesting 'bits and pieces' took up considerable cupboard space and was in effect, garbage. Some of it had been transferred from a previous vessel.

When I sold the boat I divested myself of it all and now have a policy of keeping only those items which are intrinsic to the running of the new, 37' boat.

It's not until you dump it that you realise you have been hauling so much useless crap around the oceans.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #26
Admiral

Indeed. Now if I can only get a chance to go to Melbourne and empty that damned storeroom ...

Nature helped out, it bucketed down last night and all is now clean. And the adjacent yacht finally got repositioned so I can leave the area without fear of losing my outboard to a collision.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #27
Admiral

Back on the ham radio and made my first 20 metre contact last night, to a guy in Opotiki NZ on 60 watts. This is in the Bay of Plenty and straight-line distance is about 115km from Wairoa, where I recently bought a house.

I took the above advice and rid myself of almost all the timber scraps. Probably regret it but the boat does look tidier.

Ultrasonic antifoul is now fully installed but it could take some months to see if it will work the way I've installed it. Usually they're attached to the hull but this doesn't work on ferro or timber.

Here's the plumbing used to install the transducer:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transducer.jpg (79.8 KB, 0 views)

Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

How much power does this ultrasonic unit chew? The ones that I've looked at seem to involve using more power than it appears to be worth.