Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: San Diego
Vessel Name: Windswept
Default Marina Maps

Gudday and Ahoy! When I come into an unfamiliar marina it always seems that it's in the wee hours, I'm tired, cold and it's usually raining (even in the middle of summer somehow!) At this point, the last thing I want to do is cruise up and down the slips looking for the transient dock, fuel dock or pump out while I try to find the often nonexistent row signs. Life would be much easier with an accurate slip diagram so I have been compiling a library of marina maps / slip diagrams.

Unfortunately, many marinas do not have their slip map on their website so I'm asking for contributions from you kind folk. If you have a map of a marina and you wouldn't mind scanning it and emailing it to me, I'd be greatly appreciative.

(Google Earth/maps does not have the details I'm looking for)

Much thanks in advance! You can send any contributions to dale@themarinersguide.com. I'm looking for maps from any marina, anywhere.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Vancouver, Wash.

This sounds like a troll to gain information to start a website for a guide to marinas.

May I suggest that more thought be put into route planning? Plan on your arrivial at point "B" at a certain time and work backward to a departure time from point "A". While underway, several times I've adjusted my arrivil time for daylight hours, including sailing in slow large patterns while I waited for daylight.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
This sounds like a troll to gain information to start a website for a guide to marinas.

May I suggest that more thought be put into route planning? Plan on your arrivial at point "B" at a certain time and work backward to a departure time from point "A". While underway, several times I've adjusted my arrivil time for daylight hours, including sailing in slow large patterns while I waited for daylight.
Totally agree but it's always nice to be able to 'pull in' and grab a hot shower, etc. when you want to.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

The logical depository for this sort of information is the Cruising Wiki: World Cruising and Sailing Wiki - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Ensign

Much thanks to those that have been contributing! I have over 30 of the maps published with many more to come. They have been getting many views and downloads so it looks like this resource is working for some boaters. Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

So--the maps are making their way to the cruising wiki? That would be wonderful and can encourage everyone to add maps of marinas as they become available

JohnA--the great thing about cruising is that you plan and then, poof, nothing goes as planned! The only thing I can say with certainty is that we will not arrive at our destination when we think we're going to. Always early, or late. When it is clear that we'll not make an unfamiliar anchorage (we don't use marinas in general) by sunset, we usually re-adjust and sail to our "next" anchorage or something that we'll arrive in during daytime. If it is a familiar path to a familiar spot, then night time arrivals can be OK with us. Although I can honestly say that the only time I've ever felt "comfortable" arriving in an anchorage at night was coming into Drake's Bay (Just N of SFBay) because it is so HUGE that literally an entire fleet of huge commercial boats could take shelter without worrying about being in each other's way. That is also the only anchorage I've ever not had a worry when sailing off the anchor--we're always anchored so far from shore and nobody to hit by accident. Great place for Bay area sailors to go and "practice" sailing on and off of anchor.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Vancouver, Wash.

I agree with you completly! Drakes Bay was always a favorite, until I anchored in the middle of a kelp bed one night!;
Once, I did slow "S" turns as I neared Cabo San Lucas during one night/morning. Simpson Bay, St Maarten and Rodney Bay, St Lucia you could do a temp. anchour in 50 feet of water and be a mile from any other boat. My favorite was St Anne on the south coast of Martinique where you could drop the hook in 20 feet of water 3 miles from the next boat.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

Certainly doesn't look as if the maps are ending up on the Wiki. I see nothing to indicate that John A was wrong in his initial comment.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post
Much thanks to those that have been contributing! I have over 30 of the maps published with many more to come. They have been getting many views and downloads so it looks like this resource is working for some boaters. Thanks again!
Where are these maps published? I'd like to have a gander at them.
Cheers..

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #10
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

He has a web site at saygudday.com something to do with smart traveller but when I looked in the maps link there was not much ...a couple of google maps. I wonder where those marina maps are at???

Ahhh well. marina maps would go well in the Wiki hereabouts.

Lexx
Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
Ensign

Must confess to being a bit confused to be honest. Once before I left a link to a list of free anchorages in california and was told by a moderator in pretty clear language that I was to NEVER promote an external link. Hence I have avoided that from the very first post. So what's the deal?

My travel site is about travel, not about marinas although it could marry I suppose with travel by boat.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post
So how did the people who viewed and downloaded the maps find them. I looked at your web site and searched for the maps but damned if i could find them so gave up after a couple of hours trying to find them.

I actually feel its a great idea to have marina maps available when needed and as suggested previously it might be best to put them on the cruising wiki so everyone can access them easily.

Lexx

Tags
maps, marina maps, slip diagrams