Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Lieutenant

OOPS, found this addressed in a previous topic

I've been sleeping on a 4 " Vee Berth foam mattress that has gone soft and compresses to very thin. A few years ago, I went to a canvas shop and inquired about a replacement and was quoted $1K! I decided to wait. Upon returning to the US Mainland, I went to a foam fabrication shop where I selected a firm 2" topper set of foam for the Vee and It started to "punch flat" within a year.Now I am ready to buy 5-6" foam for the Vee and plan to use it uncovered for a bit until I redo topside canvas. Closed Cell, Open cell, memory foam over foundation foam? Advice appreciated. Larry

Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Admiral

Here is the type that I was eventually driven to invest in :-

CLICK

Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

For others' interest, the other topic on the subject is - HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Lieutenant

I did some looking online and found latex to be quite expensive (about $1K USD). I also did not want to order online without knowing what I was getting so I decided to go to the local IKEA and found a Sultan Figetun which was 2 " of memory foam over 3 1/2" of "resilient " foam with an egg crate surface where the two joined. It cut easily with an electric carving knife and I am looking forward to a great night's sleep. I could have gotten a queen size and glued the cuts from the foot of the Vee to the head, but decided to get a king and not have to glue.

The mattress came tightly rolled into a 1 foot diameter tube and came with a washable zip off padded cover. Inside that was a muslin bag which I cut open. I will probably turn the padded cover into fitted covers. (Need to work on my sewing skills).Queen cost $250, King $300.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

it's only been a couple of days but have you gotten to sleep on the new mattress yet? What did you think?

I need new V'berth cushions as well... this sounds promising.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist' date='05 April 2010 - 01:41 AM View Post

it's only been a couple of days but have you gotten to sleep on the new mattress yet? What did you think?

I need new V'berth cushions as well... this sounds promising.
Yes, I've been sleeping on it for a week and it is a great improvement over the old foam. The memory foam is soft and as long as you don't want a firm feel, it is great.

I took some of the cut off and replaced the nav seat cushion. In that application, it was too high and unstable, so I separated the memory foam from the under part and put it on top of some 2 " foam and that worked well.

It has been fairly warm (high 70's in the evening) and I have not noticed the foam feeling hot under me.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Thanks for the review... I think I might just have to russel me up one of these as well.. definitely a cheaper option and will definitely beat my current 30 year old 4" too soft foam mattress.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

The Latex foam is costly but, if you can afford the price up front you'll be saving money in the long run as it outlasts other foams by many years (expected life 20 years) and if it gets wet (duh...we're on a boat, right?) it can be rinsed with freshwater and dried without molding. I can attest to this as we had our latex foam mattress get soaked (last October) with salt water (under an unsealed porthole!) and we had no problems quickly cleaning and drying it. Regular foam would have very likely been ruined with mold after the soaking.

However, if you can't find a local provider with good prices or just can't put together the money for it, then IKEA is an option for sure!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
Commander

I just saw foam mattresses in Walmart, up to 8" thick! They had a memory foam top. There were also foam "toppers" that were up to 4" thick.

My Corsair has a quarter-berth cushion made of a futon mattress, cut to shape with the cover re-sewn. The V-berth has some odd bare foam (huge openings in the bottom with a grate-like pattern) with a similarly-treated futon mattress for a topper. Either are comfortable enough for me, but I am not a light sleeper.

I'll save up and put Latex in Starquest, but these do nicely in the Corsair.