Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to karenmmc

We're thinking it's time to replace the "accordion" fabric blinds that were original equipment in our 97 Hunter. They are worn out, yellow and saggy - making an otherwise beautiful salon area look dated. Some of them cover portholes/hatches and some of them cover fixed windows.

I've tried to google with "boat" and "blinds" - I mostly come up with a bunch of fatigue-dressed hunters in their "duck-blind boat covers".

Anyone replaced window coverings lately care to share a manufacturer or link?

Thanks, Karen

Old 01-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Admiral

I was hoping there'd be a Hunter owner with some suggestions.

Where are you located? Do you have boat canvas shops near you?

Never having been inside a Hunter, I don't know what these blinds look like. Have you looked at what is available from places like Home Depot, Lowe's, or department stores like J.C. Penney's?

Having a difficult time myself finding things that work, my approach has been to walk around the marinas to see what other boats have, then ask them where they had it done. There are some pretty talented people out there, though it's not always easy to find them.

You could also try searching for: Marine canvas; marine upholstery; sailrite. There are lots of sources in New England, Florida, and Annapolis on the East coast, I don't know what's available on the West coast.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Ensign

Jeanne, thanks - yeah, I thought about our sail maker (we're in N.C.). They've done some nice canvas work for us. I was hoping maybe someone had really neat design like I've seen - screen/blind combos for hatches. I'll keep looking and if I find something neat, I'll come back and share what I've found. Karen
Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Commander

At the boat show last year I saw some interesting plastic window covers that are made with two sheets of vinyl or acetate. When open, you look through stripes. When closed, you have a shade. They didn't look all that hard to make--two sheets of plastic with stripes painted on them, some sort of sliding mechanism that allowed the top sheet to be in the open or closed position--but they cost a bundle if bought from the designer. I've got Michael trying to help me remember the brand name. By our age, it often takes two brains to function as one.

I had thought of something like that for our small portholes, especially the round ones in the heads. Instead, Michael spray-painted them with Frosted Glass Semi-Transparent Finish by Rust-oleum. Lets in the light but obscures vision. If I want to see out the head windows, I'll just open them!

I saw some lovely Roman shades on another pilothouse that I'd like to emulate for the big windows. We'll see if I ever get around to making them.

N
Old 02-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmmc View Post
We're thinking it's time to replace the "accordion" fabric blinds that were original equipment in our 97 Hunter. They are worn out, yellow and saggy - making an otherwise beautiful salon area look dated. Some of them cover portholes/hatches and some of them cover fixed windows.

I've tried to google with "boat" and "blinds" - I mostly come up with a bunch of fatigue-dressed hunters in their "duck-blind boat covers".

Anyone replaced window coverings lately care to share a manufacturer or link?

Thanks, Karen
Have a look at these "Privacy Shutters" from an outfit in Texas. Zacor

And if your Hunter has pleated shades similar to this one, then any Blinds retailer should be able to custom make for you. They can likely use the original attachment hardware and simply make them in the fabric/color of your choice.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Ensign

This was just what I was looking for! And yes, the photo you posted is almost identical to our hunter. Thanks, Karen