Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Lowestoft
Default Saving Money

Hi Guys n Gals

Looking at the "cost of living on a boat" type blogs I note the large amount of money that goes on marina fees.
So what is your approach to saving money ?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Don't stay at marinas. :-)

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Depending on the boat you buy, marinas may not always be easy to avoid. Modern boats with hi-tech energy hungry systems are far more comfortable when the systems are fully operational from a shore power mains electrical system.

One alternative to marina living in this style of boat, is the use of a generator. However, bear in mind there is nothing more annoying to the average yottie, than being in a quiet bay when someone else fires up a genny to run their airconditioning.

A more simple boat without any dependence on 110/240v refrigeration, hot water, aircon, heating, etc., means you can enjoy life afloat away from marinas without becoming a bloody nuisance to your peers...and often, without needing to be constantly near repairers.

The more simple the boat, the less expense in keeping the systems maintained. It is worthwhile noting the difference in maintenance and operating costs between a 35' and a 45' (or in my case my new 37'6" as opposed to the previous 53' boat). Smaller is cheaper and a 20% longer boat is not just 20% more expensive to keep and maintain.

Another dollar saver, is your DIY ability. If you can do a job properly, do it and save a bit. If you can't do it properly due to either a lack of application or a lack of professional knowledge, get someone who does know how to do it. It'll save dollars in the long run.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for that. I've only made a couple of long trips, both times with a retired navy man as skipper and he seemed to have a knack of getting a berth on the commercial part of the port paying peanuts (by comparison) direct to the harbourmaster.
On the size issue I'm leaning towards a 38ft cat so that will add to the cost of a marina sadly but seems a more comfortable vessel and fridges etc as almost a necessity in this day and age. I'm too long in the tooth to become and eco-warrior now :-)
Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

So, not a Luddite then ... how confusing.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
So, not a Luddite then ... how confusing.
I have been outed (again !!).
I am politically against a lot of "progress", but my head says.....buy the best radar I can afford.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Buy a really good modern anchor and make sure you have an electric windlass fitted. If it is easy to deploy and retrieve then you are more likely to use it and feel safe. I met a couple in Portugal who hadn't used a marina in about 20 years and they had done quite a few Atlantic circuits! Also lots of solar and wind power means self reliance.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Ensign

Thanks Steve
Electric windlass-winches are very very high on my wish list.
Wind and solar systems to drive them is also in there.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

When years back sailing the Algarve Coast (Portugal) with some nice anchorages we met a couple from the UK that was perfectly well equipped to spend long times at anchor: A not too big boat, basic electric equipment, solar panels and good heavy anchor gear.
But sooner or later you have to visit a marina and they were always well informed about the checking in- and checking out times: Soo, in most ideal situations they spent more than 36 hours in the marina und just had to pay for one night!

And the older we get, the more time we spend in marinas....
Now we ALWAYS ask for the rates for long term stays - pretty soon it makes sence to book for a week or a month, whatever the marina offers and it might end up to be cheaper for example to pay for a month instead of the daily rates for 2 weeks...

This also works elswhere: We just recently did that in France, sailing the Channel coast. But did not get any such bargains on the other side along the British channel coast: Some marinas offered a day for free after 6 days of paying the (expensive) daily fees, other places just offer a day free of charge later in the off season - something like October to March... a time you voluntarily not really like to be in this area sailing and living on board...

Uwe
SY AQUARIA

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ludd View Post
Thanks Steve
Electric windlass-winches are very very high on my wish list.
Wind and solar systems to drive them is also in there.
If you check the output of most wind/solar systems against the current requirements of most electric windlass systems you'll find that you can't run them from wind/solar. For the time you're hauling anchor you'll need your engine running with a decent alternator.

The windlass is one exception I have on my boat to the "I don't need the engine running or shore power plugged in to run this gadget" thing. The other is the fairly hefty work laptop and monitor I have, but I only need that when I'm working and generally that means being in a marina.

12v eutectic fridge, 12v freezer, no washing machine or microwave, low power navigation laptop and instruments, gas stove (and water heating), none of this needs shore or engine power. I have 3 x 80W and 1 x 200W panels, a 100W wind generator and a 100W towed generator to power that stuff. The big draw at sea is the autopilot but I also have a windvane if I want, and in any case the towed generator gives me enough oomph for the autopilot.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:55 AM   #11

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

windlass use while no engine running:

Our windlass motor is 1kW, we run at 36VDC, our 12V bank is 400AH, and we have 2 additional batteries (to get to 36V) bringing our 36V bank to 100AH only. When we run the windlass, we draw less than 30A (um slightly over 27) for however many minutes it's on. We don't have to have our engine on--we will draw down the two smaller AH batteries faster than the house 12V bank but it all works out. We usually run the windlass for less than 15 minutes (usually far less than that), so 15 min=.25 hr * 30A (or less) would be 7.5 AH or so used "in theory" but we know that to be a little too low--when running that high of a current with only a 100AH battery bank, the internal resistance of the batteries are going to mean we're not going to get anything close to only drawing down the 7.5 AH of the 100AH batteries.

No matter--we do have enough experience with this setup to know we don't have to have the engine running (which only charges the starter battery or the house battery, btw) for this to work.

When we got the boat, we had several chargers (came with the boat) as well as a mixture of wet cel and gel cel batteries. So we decided to use the chargers in parallel to allow us to use all these disparate batteries. It has worked well for us.

Our charging system uses 3 chargers and charges each battery bank (1st 400AH is the "12V" bank, 2nd battery is 100AH and we call it the 24V bank and 3rd battery of 100AH we call the 36V bank) separately as mentioned. This is actually very cool because we get really high utilization from each of the chargers when running our Honda EU2000 or the diesel generator. So we can charge 100 Amps total if needed.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #12

PS on Saving Money:

1. don't stay at marinas
2. don't heat water aboard and skip the refrigeration for that matter
3. skip the long showers aboard anyway
4. stop drinking alcohol
5. eat at home not at restaurants
6. buy quality equipment that will last
7. when it's all junk consider not buying it at all
8. fix things yourself
9. buy a boat big enough to be happy at anchor but small enough to not break the bank if you're fixing things

Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 AM   #13

Certainly if you have 36V running to the windlass you can do it with less current. Mine has a 12V motor drawing around 120A (I think its a 1500W motor so it's a shade over 120A) and I can't push that out without the engine running, because the battery voltage drops too low when I try. I have done it once for a minute or so then it gives up -- works fine with no load though, e.g when using the motor to lower the anchor.

I don't have a genset on board. I've considered it but discarded the idea in favour of more solar and towed generator power.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 AM   #14

120A draw ! our windlass system runs on a 40A breaker.

We all work with what we have....but have you even considered getting the 12V motor replaced with (or rebuild with windings for...) a 24V system? Seriously that's big wire you're working with to make that draw. Your windlass must be close to the batteries?

Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #15

No, because getting a 24V system would require replacing the batteries (I have 4 x 6V Trojans) or adding additional batteries to boost the current system up to 24V, and add to that the expense of rewiring the motor. Yes, it has fairly chunky wires but they were already in place when I bought the boat so I haven't had to touch them. The cable run from the batteries to the windlass is only about 6 metres.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

We have a 12v 1kw windlass with a dedicated small truck batt next to it. We don't need to start engines to lower or raise anchor, although mostly do. The windlass rarely seems to be 'raising a sweat', maybe because anchor is 16kg and chain is 8mm and boat is 4 tonne.
It is nice to quietly sail off from anchor at times.
I agree with all the aforementioned ways of saving money except for item 4 from redbopeep. Gotta have a coldie on a hot day.

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Ensign

Home Port: Coronado
Vessel Name: Beau Soleil

We have been cruising almost non-stop for 30 years now including 2 circumnavigations. We have never used a windless. Yes it is tough, especially on a bigger boat. We started out on 24' and now are in a 47'. Windless seem to break, and when they do, the voyage stops. And as you all know, they aren't cheap.

Pulling up the anchor yourself is tough, real tough. Especially if you haven't done it before. On the plus side, you do get stronger, much.

A few hints: Don't try to pull it up all at once. Pull for a few minutes, then tie her down and walk around the boat (Looking important in case anyone is looking) Pull a bit more. Rest. At first you are only pulling the chain up. (need I say that you are feathering the boat into the wind with your engine or the mainsail?) At the end, the chain has to be pulled up with the anchor dangling at the end. If you have a crew, everyone pulls at the end. You know--one two three, pull. It works better than you think.

If you are a single hander, it is easier. (except for the feathering into the wind and pulling the anchor at the same time!) Single-handers are stronger. They have to be. They are forced to be.

Once you get good at pulling the hook, you will find that you are faster than most windlesses. Cool, huh! Of course, there are the strained muscles. You can prevent most by pulling with you legs. Grab hold of the chain and walk back towards the stern. Recover hand over hand. Repeat.

Still don't believe me? check out my blog/site/place where I write when my shoulders are hurting!
sites.google.com/site/sailingbooks/

It isn't for everyone but if you are serious about cruising cheaply, it is the only way to go!

By the way we are running 3/8 chain and a 50 pound anchor, just in case you are argumentative!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
Ensign

Home Port: london
Vessel Name: DAISEY SUE

it is getting harder Greece has a new cruising tax and Menorca are trying to introduce a "Rescue tax " for all boats over 10 meters ....
Old 03-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
Ensign

Home Port: Coronado
Vessel Name: Beau Soleil

It all started in the Med in 1987 when Yugoslavia (Tito was still alive) created a $200 cruising fee and stuck with it. I think the year before the Bahamas started a cruising fee for 6 months for $300.

Slowly cruising has become more and more expensive. However, we don't have to go the the expensive places, do we. And we can stay longer in the cheap ones. For example, New Caledonia, which we visited last year charges nil, zero, nada, zilch, for any clearing in or out. Absolutely nothing. Of course it is an expensive island, but still they are trying!

Mike Riley
sv Beau Soleil
lying Whangarei, NZ