Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist
Default shaving at sea?

What are your long-term solutions for body hair at sea?
I'm a beardy guy but like to keep it trimmed... haven't seen a good shaver, trimmer in one that is rechargeable...

And for Debs... I've told her to just go all natural... but she doesn't like it... how do you women live-aboards deal with legs and all that without disposables (impractical)?

Thanks.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

This is a vexed question of some considerable concern, especially to those who chose to not wear the uniform old-man-of-the-sea facial hair; and for those women who prefer to not keep a toilet brush under each arm.

I prefer the Phillips rechargeable shaver, mitten zer trimmer. But then again I am not a particularly hairy person. If on the other hand you (or your lady) present a reasonable facsimile of Tom Hanks during his volley ball phase, I recommend keeping a pet remora.

Sure they normally feed on the crumbs left by whales and sharks, but if they get hungry enough, they will eat anything. Simply attach the fish to your face at an appropriate time and you can be sure the hair will disappear as the hungry little blighter cuts through the forest in the quest for edible fare before it perishes due to lack of breathable oxygen.

As with most things nautical, all that is required is a little lateral thought and even the most difficult of problems will simply disappear to leave us free to consider the more pressing concerns of daily life....such as how to prepare a remora casserole.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Seriously though....
I wonder how long it is since you tried a new electric rechargeable shaver/trimmer. The first non scraper I bought was in the 70s. Back when the US had a manufacturing sector, a clever bugger developed a clockwork job for keeping the astronauts looking good for the cameras. It was a nifty piece of engineering, but a bit of a disappointment even for a young bloke who normally needed to shave only three times a week.

I ventured into the techno-shave world again when Victor Kiam 'bought the company' because the product was so good..blah, blah, blah..... No it wasn't.

But, when I bought the new boat I also bought a new electric shaver. It is a totally different article. It works well. It cost me close to $300. Spending $100 will buy you an older style shaver which works in a manner sympathetic to the mowers of the 80s.

I am happy with the new machine and it genuinely does shave as close as a blade.
But $300 will buy you a squillion Bic disposables.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Admiral

of course a ramora... why didn't I think of that...

I'll take a look at the Phillips rechargable... I'm a pretty hairy guy... hope it's tough enough for the task...

Any recommendations for women?

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Admiral

holy crap... just did a search on rechargeable shaver trimmers... some crazy features... self cleaning and drying and lubricating... I wonder if they have one that can make a sandwich??...

Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

I bought a Philishave clone off ebay for about $10 a couple of years ago. Still prefer a blade though, and as Auzzee says they're cheap.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I refuse to pay $200 for a product that doesn't work as well as the one I pay 45c for.

I find that either disposable razors (and use them until the blades start to paint rust stripes on your face) or the schick/gillette type handles with the replaceable 2/3/4/5 blade heads work well for me. The advantage of the replaceable heads is that they take up less room.

Conserve blades on long ocean passages by shaving only as you approach port.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

I go with the rechargable shaver - you also save on water and can shave every day. Sure you could have one each!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #9

Home Port: Richland
Vessel Name: Pacifica

There are some options out there - google up solar shaver and wind up razor to find some options.

here's one: Amazon.com: Wind N Go: Health & Personal Care
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
Admiral

now that's neet... wonder how reliable they are.... my main concern is getting one that will last and not crap out on me in a far flung port of in the middle of passage due to me bathing in salt water.