Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #181
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Good move on your part! Keep looking. I agree there are few bargains.
But... I recently bought a truck, 1995 Dodge Ram, in Mexico, which I have since driven over 6000km without incident. It cost $2000, plus a new set of tyres at $460. It's a manual (rare in the US) 4 x 4 with a 5.7ltr V8.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180405_153537.jpg  

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #182
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Nice wheels, and I agree you did find a bargain there.

Now looking at a 2010 model Waller 31 built in Tassie. Beautiful yacht but a bit of a dock queen. Insufficient solar and batteries, no wind power, electric everything (bilge pumps, hot & cold water pumps, Waeco fridge/freezer, deck wash), no furler on jib.

At $125k it's a bit rich, will need another $25k spent to make it useful for cruising. But that's about the most affordable cat available.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #183
Admiral

After a serious dig for a better deal I may have found "the one." She's a 1992 Arber Compromise 30 cat in tired but sound condition and the price is extremely good. Will be going up to see her once the owner gets back home in a few weeks.

Shawn Arber is a well-known catamaran designer/builder and marina owner in Brisbane but he only issued one set of plans for kit builders, and this is an example of that design. According to his son Damien the yacht in question was built very closely to plan and is regarded as a good sample by those who have seen her.

Not too big, not too expensive and not too much work. Seems like a Compromise I can live with. The delivery skipper who brought her down from Mackay in Jan 2016 was having a ball in the video I found, surfing waves at 14 knots.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #184
Admiral

Couldn't find the thread asking for songs about the sea (maybe it was on a different site?) so I'll just leave this here while waiting for the Oddysey to end:

Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #185
Admiral

Well sh1t. I was just told the Arber cat has been sold. Don't know how that happened since the guy selling it isn't back for another week. Anyhow, that's life ... and it sucks.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #186
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Its not all bad. Lot of people dont get the privilge to live to this age. Am enjoying it as much as I can.....
Old 09-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #187
Admiral

Primary difference is that I have neither a working yacht nor a house to live in. I'd like to achieve one or the other some time before I'm senile.

On the good side, it appears as if the pension will be coming through soon. They asked me four questions earlier in the week. All of which had been answered in the application, but still it seems like progress to me.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #188
Admiral

Missed another bargain catamaran today.

Robin Chamberlin designed Corsair 3600 glass over foam 36'er. 2 x Nanni 21hp (600 hours) and the usual instruments, 2002 build. Had been sitting in the marina unused for 5 years due to some family tragedy. Batteries flat, some water in port hull and stbd engine bay. $35,000

It was advertised at 1pm yesterday and gone by the time the sales rep got back to me. Couldn't reach them on the phone either. Too bad, that was a gem. Last sold in 2012 for $174,900

Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #189
Admiral

Good grief, is it really 11 months since I posted here?

Finally got the pension sorted out, they were six months late but I was back paid. Been spending my time doing genealogy, and Old Squizzy may be pleased to know that I'm related to both Moondyne Joe and HRH Prince Leonard of Hutt. And there I was thinking I had no connection to WA.

Still living at Montys Marina with the mozzies and midges. Oh to be sailing ...

Old 04-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #190
GOF

Sorry I havent been around much.. Still work full time and have been diving a lot. Have two grandkids here for easter and diving again tomorrow. The offer is still there. Want a holiday come and spend some time here on Eleuthera down the marina.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #191
Admiral

Might be tricky, I just got on the list to have an umbilical hernia fixed. I'd hate to be out of town when they decided to call me in. Maybe after that ...

Old 06-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #192
GOF

Not a drama mate.....Whenever suits you
Old 09-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #193
Admiral

In the middle of a Biology course at MITx. Exams in a few weeks.

Just sold my house in New Zealand to a friend of a friend for NZ$30k so that covers all the rates and so on for the past 6 years. No profit but no loss either.

It's spring in Brissie which means it's getting hot again, the midges and mozzies are becoming active and pretty soon we'll start seeing red bellied black snakes lurking around the containers.

Wish I could say life was enjoyable but it feels like plodding. Still, it beats the alternative.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:51 AM   #194
Admiral

My future is finally resolved. I've just bought a 4BR double brick two storey property in country NSW and will be leaving Montys in early July.

Here she is, the former Bundarra Post Office. Yes, I've "gone postal."
Attached Thumbnails
Facade-Right.jpg  

Old 05-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #195
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Good move and great to hear from you. I used to travel between Brisbane and Tamworth on a frequent basis. I went through Bundarra once, just because it was there. It seems it was a fairly small village and, as I remember, there would be little opportunity for sailing.

I hope it all goes well.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #196
Admiral

I'll certainly miss the water but I finally decided that my hobbies, which all rely on electricity, were more important to me. It's certainly a tiny town but these days I don't see that as a bad thing. I'm fairly self-sufficient, and I'll only be 4 hours from Brisbane and 6 hours from Sydney if the city lights beckon too much.

Lots more photos here: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...arra-130938398

Old 05-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #197
Ensign

Home Port: Larnaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
My future is finally resolved. I've just bought a 4BR double brick two storey property in country NSW and will be leaving Montys in early July.

Here she is, the former Bundarra Post Office. Yes, I've "gone postal."
Congratulations with your purchase, so you will move in a month. My wife and I are thinking of buying abroad, we are even checking Cannes property prices. Maybe we will finally make a decision this year about this opportunity.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #198
Admiral

In the past few days I've emptied out my 20 ft container, cleared out and stripped the yacht - including taking down the mast - and loaded my truck for the move down south. I'm having a day off at my brother's house, recovering from the effort.

Shenoa will be crushed in the coming weeks, a fitting end to an awful yacht.

I only need to return once more, to retrieve my trailer. But first I need to get the VW van running again, it has a dead battery and is trapped in my brother's back yard by a trench that was dug to install new wiring to the garage.

I am no longer a yachtie.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #199
GOF

An end to an era!!!!!!!