Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-14-2016, 12:40 AM   #29

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I hope your engine's getting better. Nothing more frustrating than thinking you've fixed it and you haven't.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:39 AM   #30
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Got the fine filter today, I'm hoping that improves matters. I'll be off as soon as there's a break in the weather.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #31
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I recently had a similar issue. Cleaned the carbie, turfed out the fuel in the tank, cleaned the tank and in short order, the carbie was grubby again. It turned out to be a combination of deterioration, and caked on, and aparently flaking, 'cholesterol' in the fuel line between the tank and the engine. Replaced both and now it purrs like a kitten.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #32
Admiral

When I cut the line to install the new filter I could see a layer of varnish inside the lines and it flaked off quite easily. I'll be replacing those soon too. Strangely enough I also had the vision of veins full of plaque and cholestorol when I saw it.

Webb Chiles has reached Darwin.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #33
Admiral

Over the past few days I've been consistently nailing down unfinished tasks in preparation for the trip to the haulout yard, which is 30nmi away in the Caboolture River. I have a working 6hp engine - barely adequate for a 6 ton yacht - and a storm jib with hanks. Can't use the new sails due to the state of the running rigging.

As the MSQ deadline approached the tasks dwindled, until there was just one left. I spent a fitful night trying to work out a solution, and only really solved it while at Bunnings this afternoon. It all has to do with my anchor winch, which had to be bolted to the anchor locker lid because there was no place else for it to go. But even though I reinforced the lid there was a distinct possibility that while anchoring a drifting yacht could yank the lid - winch and all - into the water. I really needed to solve that.

Elegantly simple as the solution was, it is only temporary. I bought two 100mm (4 inch) bolts and a metre of chain and simply ran the chain between the bolts, which I bolted through the concrete deck, right across the back of the hatch. So, even if it gets away from me the yacht should hold against this new piece of chain, at least for long enough so that I can tie off to the steel post behind the bowsprit.

Having no further excuses I now actually have to leave here, probably early tomorrow at high tide. After five years living aboard I'm actually going somewhere in one of my boats. Reading Webb's latest logs for inspiration but a little bit petrified at this stage.

I'm sure it will all work out, but if you don't hear from me for a few days don't be surprised. I'll probably be drifting around Moreton Bay with the carbie in pieces.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #34
Admiral

Dammit. Well, here I am out of bed by 0615 which is rare. But looking outside I see seven oktas of heavy black rain clouds and it's freezing. Queensland isn't supposed to be like this, ever. Brrrrr.

I don't like the weather forecast either. Saturday was supposed to be sunny, now it's showing as cloudy with rain both today and Sunday. Nope, I'm going next week.

Probably a sensible decision. I have to anchor out near Scarborough Marina for the night and wait for the morning high tide before entering the Caboolture River, which has a 0.3 metre bar and large areas that turn into mud flats during the lows. That means starting off before sunrise if I do it tomorrow but gets 40 minutes later each day I delay. Monday sounds fine to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nuages.jpg (66.9 KB, 1 views)

Old 06-17-2016, 04:50 PM   #35

Good decision. Wait for wx that works for your move. I hope you're warm inside the boat even if it's awfully nippy outside.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #36
Admiral

Yep. The weather bureau has been totally wrong this time though, it has been overcast but almost windless for two days, with no rain at all. We were supposed to have had 25-45kt NW-erlies and 100% chance of rain which would have been the worst possible weather for this trip.

Here's tonight's sunset over Brisbane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunset.jpg (82.5 KB, 1 views)

Old 06-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #37
Admiral

Been watching the auctions again. A Roberts Mauritius 43'er closed tonight for AU$6900.00

Yachts are cheap.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #38

Have you considered quick decisive action?

Old 06-19-2016, 03:05 AM   #39
Admiral

Yes. I studiously ignored it lest I become the owner of yet another project.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #40
Admiral

North by North West - my first outing

(How I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yet again)

So, the winter solstice passed us on Tuesday and forecasts for the weekend included thunderstorms and possible snow - in Brisbane! - and it seemed if I didn't leave right away I might not get to the haulout yard before the designated haulout day. There's never a right time to go, but I had done what I could to prepare myself and the boat for the journey and it was time to leave.

Wednesday I hauled anchor about an hour before high tide, at around 10:00am. I didn't actually get going until 10:30 because it took about 15 minutes to get the anchor free without running into something, and then I discovered that the outboard skewed sideways which tended to overpower the rudder. A few rubber straps fixed that and off I puttered with some trepidation.

The day was slated to be overcast but without rain, but the bureau had also predicted 15-25kt Westerlies swinging to NW in the late afternoon. Which is exactly the direction I was heading. I did have the storm jib hanked on for extra speed across Moreton Bay but if I was headed it wouldn't help.

The most boring 3 1/2 hours of my life then ensued as I motored up the river towards the bay. That was soon to change, because there was a 1 metre chop once I got out there and it was hitting me side on, which caused everything on the shelves to land on the floor. But I took it philosophically ... we weren't being swamped at least. I never did go forward to haul that sail, it was way too rough.

By 4pm it became obvious I wasn't going to make it to my waypoint by nightfall, but I set a target of at least making it around the headland into Deception Bay and gunned the engine a little. Thankfully this story doesn't include any engine troubles, the little Mercury performed faultlessly throughout.

I anchored two miles out of the entrance to Caboolture River at 6:30pm in 2.7 metres of water and had a great night's sleep.

TO BE CONTINUED

Old 06-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #41
Admiral

Now in part one several points were glossed over. Like for instance my brother loaning me a 20L fuel container that leaked like a sieve, or the brand new syphon that failed after its third use. But day one was relatively successful so we'll leave that be.

Today I awoke and, with a glance at the sky, almost stayed put for another day. Then I got the weather report on the VHF and they were predicting strong winds for Friday, and I'd rather be up a river when that happens than out in the open. So I arced up the motor and we were off again.

Caboolture River is more of a creek in size than a river. Where I was going the width gets down to 100 metres in places. The yard provides a map and general instructions - like "stay to the right of the signs telling you that the river shoals" and stuff like that. For the first part - about two miles - there are standard maritime signs and lots of yachts moored, after that it gets a bit iffy. I had almost four miles to travel, right into "maybe" territory.

Things seemed to be going well though. Maybe too well, in fact, since I was within one turn in the river from my destination and feeling fairly pleased with myself when disaster struck. At first we skewed to starboard and I figured the engine had rotated a bit again and reached over to correct it, but it was fine. Then we went HARD to starboard as if running into an enormous current. No amount of tiller would correct it so I stopped fighting it and attempted to do a turn in that direction. But we were no longer moving.

I had run into a wall of mud.

Now the mud in the Caboolture River isn't your regular mud. It's grey, smelly primordial ooze and it sticks, especially to hulls. I was aground and side-on to the flow. Dayyum.

Luckily I remembered that the night tide at 2.43 metres is higher than the day tide at 1.88 metres. The solution was to wait 12 hours until we drifted off again. And that's what I just did - with a bit of help from Mr Mercury - between the last message and this one.

It's pitch black out there. I'm miles from civilization, there isn't even a house within sight. The sky would be alight with the glow of the full moon, except that the coming storm has covered the sky with black clouds. Fortunately for me, the glow of the town about 5km away reflected off the clouds enough to give basic visibility.

So I motored another 100 metres or so and dropped anchor. But the ooze didn't hold that, we dragged like mad. I threw out more chain, each time getting covered in mud. Finally she held, which is fortunate since I just can't put any more out in such a narrow river.

Toworrow I'll catch the daytime high tide and finally get to the yard. I hope to goodness there's somewhere to drop a pick. I've been told it gets to 40 feet deep there.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #42
Admiral

Here are a few photos I took while I was bored waiting for the tide to cycle. The little yellow sign says: "SHOALS Depth less than 0.5 metres at low water." Should read "Depth less than 0.5 metres at high water as well."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuck.jpg (104.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sign.jpg (74.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pelicans.jpg (74.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg skidmarks.jpg (99.9 KB, 2 views)