Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None
Default The Shenoa Story

New message thread here. I'm now in Brisbane (actually Ipswich Qld) and will be going aboard Shenoa - my other Hartley ferro - in a few days. Will keep you all informed of the progress as it occurs.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Admiral

My intro to Brisbane was pretty spectacular. Everyone here got drunk by the barbeque for Anzac Day yesterday while I sat inside watching TV for the first time in months.

Today I did all the accumulated washing and late in the day got a panicked phone call from my brother Phil in Melbourne saying that the Victoria Police were there and that Shenoa was sinking. I immediately rang Brisbane Water Police who told me the contact name given had gone off shift and they had no further details. So Trev and I belted down there and went aboard to find the water about where it had been 10-12 days ago when he pumped her out. Looks like it was a pretty old report that had taken ages to get through the system. :-/

Anyhow I have my work cut out, she's a bit untidy from what I could see in a 10 minute visit. I'll be going back tomorrow with a bilge pump and some tools to at least get the rest of the water out and the mast light working again.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Admiral

Tasks completed. The water is now all pumped out and the anchor light works. Also left some tools and supplies aboard, including coffee making facilities. We're making progress.

The rails holding the roof over the helm are all rusted and busted, will have to make a new frame out of stainless. It's galvanized steel with paint over it, bleuch.

Next task before I get to that though is to make a new cover for the anchor well so that water doesn't get into the sleeping quarters through the well's floor. The cover appears to have vanished, possibly in the Jan/Feb storm but may also have been discarded by vandals who broke in at some time in the past month.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Admiral

Went to have a look at the engines today and picked up the manuals while I was there. They're in Chinese, of course. <:-] Some spare bearings and rings came with the deal, nice. Now aboard Shenoa, got power to the laptop and found an internet connection after four hours' search ... wow, the things we do to stay in touch!!

I'm close to the port in Brisbane, P&O cruisers and cargo ships adjacent. The river smells pretty bad here but the price is right.

Rob

Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Admiral

First day aboard. Before arriving in Brisbane my brother pumped Shenoa out, and I tried unsuccessfully to get him to taste the water. He didn't like the idea and refused; my suspicions were confirmed today when it tasted salty, negating the idea that it was fresh water from the hurricane earlier in the year.

The previous owner wasn't exactly honest about the extent of the damage from the bridge collision, and she's taking on about 2 litres an hour through cracks adjacent to the bridge damage. I'll be doing an urgent temporary repair internally with cement and quick-set solution.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Admiral

Back at my brother's house tonight. I've set up a bilge pump to move the water out of the leaky section into the deeper bilge below the engine mounts, mainly because the hose wasn't long enough. I'll bucket that out when I go back in a couple of days.

Won a trailer on eBay so I can pick up the engines soon. Plenty to do aboard, all the lights are fitted with halogens (10W x 10 = a lot of wasted power!) and the refit was done by an as5-clown who knew nothing about boats. Rusted nails, screws and hinges all over the place.

The glass-over-ply roof, however, is beautiful. Real aircraft quality workmanship although the styling is another thing entirely. With a combination of Queen Anne wood panelling, beige carpet on the walls, black and grey carpet in the helm, old white paint on the exposed ferro, original glimpses of brown timber ... it's as schizophrenic as a tour bus full of geriatrics, which I suggest might have been the intended market anyhow judging by the huge sealed plexiglass windows and burgundy curtains. Double bleuch.

Here are a few photos of the neighborhood anyhow, 'cos I know ya love pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Bris001.jpg   Bris002.jpg   Bris003.jpg   Bris004.jpg   Bris005.jpg  

Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Admiral

So far I have the wiring sorted enough to get the cabin lights and electric water pump working, and fitted a second 80W solar panel. All the wiring is RED, even the negative wires. Good God almighty, who does that?

There seems to be a lot of random stuff floating in the river right now, probably storm debris:
Attached Thumbnails
Flotsam1.jpg   Flotsam2.jpg  

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Admiral

Did the research on patching materials. Evidently quick setting solution is a thing of the past, but you can get stuff called hydraulic cement that does the trick. I'll be using Gripset Betta Water Plug, mainly because I can order it through Bunnings. It's expensive but then so is a sunken yacht.

Alternatives in other locales might be Sika Plug, Quickcrete #1126 or Sakrete Leak Stopper.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
First day aboard. Before arriving in Brisbane my brother pumped Shenoa out, and I tried unsuccessfully to get him to taste the water. He didn't like the idea and refused; my suspicions were confirmed today when it tasted salty, negating the idea that it was fresh water from the hurricane earlier in the year.

The previous owner wasn't exactly honest about the extent of the damage from the bridge collision, and she's taking on about 2 litres an hour through cracks adjacent to the bridge damage. I'll be doing an urgent temporary repair internally with cement and quick-set solution.
Pah. Anyone who hasn't stuck their finger into a puddle, tasted the water and gone "yeah, salty, with a bit of 4 year old diesel, a smudge of engine oil, 100mL or so of hydraulic fluid, some epoxy thinner and a touch of maggi instant noodle sauce mix" doesn't belong on a boat.

Nice to hear you're settled in up in Qld. I'm just back from Singapore and about to head down the south coast for a week.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Ensign

I have a friend who patched a ferro yacht after what we thought was soft grounding with small leak and it did not stay fixed. He hauled out for the final fix and it involved a mesh reinforcement that was needed to make the area of the patch more stable for the patch material to stay. Do you plan such a reinforcement?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
Nice to hear you're settled in up in Qld. I'm just back from Singapore and about to head down the south coast for a week.
What's of interest down the south coast?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftnelly View Post
I have a friend who patched a ferro yacht after what we thought was soft grounding with small leak and it did not stay fixed. He hauled out for the final fix and it involved a mesh reinforcement that was needed to make the area of the patch more stable for the patch material to stay. Do you plan such a reinforcement?
The only correct answer is "it depends." I certainly plan to haul out and inspect the underside, but reinforcement is entirely dependent on what I find there. At very least there will be external cracks that need filling but if the armature is in good shape that may be all that's required.

I'll use it as an opportunity to clean the hull and apply antifoul too.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
Admiral

Just spent a couple more days aboard. The bilge pump I set up had failed within the six days ashore, and an analysis of the reason is interesting. Because of the lack of sufficient 3/4" hose I was pumping into the deeper bilges and they filled up, then backfilled to the area that leaks. So essentially the pump was running constantly, pumping the same water around in circles.

This shouldn't have happened if the leak was only 2 litres an hour as estimated, so I went looking for a second leak. I found it! There's a stainless steel tank under one of the seats that acts as a header tank for the engine cooling system and the hose coming out the bottom was leaking a further 2 litres an hour into the main bilges. Turning off the cock there reduced the water intake to my original estimates, as verified by a 12 hour watch on internal water levels.

I also constructed a new chain locker hatch, only to find it wouldn't fit over the damned hatch. Turns out the hatch isn't rectangular, one dimension varies by 1/2" (13mm) from one end to the other. So I guess I just made myself a shelf instead. Will be buying more materials at Bunnings hardware today when I collect the hydraulic cement, which they tell me has arrived.

Missing items now tallied (stolen since October, the first sale on eBay) - two batteries (not holding a charge anyhow, according to previous owner), two jib winches, port navigation light, two old fenders, chain locker cover.

Damaged by vandals - latching system on central hatch over galley.

Worse than anticipated - leaks, damaged pushpit and pulpit, accident damage to concrete on port side.

Better than anticipated - superstructure is lovely, no leaks and reasonable paint.

Shenoa has absolutely NO instruments, not even a compass. I was gobsmacked at that, there's no way you can sail anywhere without at least a compass. Doesn't even look like one was ever fitted.

All the above items have been ordered, except that I will be using clam cleats and bar cleats for the jib sheets rather than replacing the winches, as has been done on Keppelena. It will need a bit more muscle to use but the possibility of having those stolen is minimal.

Other work completed on this visit - replaced the jib sheets, made mooring lines out of the good sections of the old jib sheets, cleaned out helm lockers and stowed anything of value inside the yacht. Verified the battery was still charging and anchor light still works. Refitted rubber matress to forward v-bunk now that it's dry. Inspected whole yacht for further tasks and made a list, prioritizing the work.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
Admiral

Just received a copy of the study plans for the Tasman in the mail from Hartley & Brookes in NZ, along with Colin Brookes' book and CD on ferro boat construction. The book and CD contain essentially the same material so if you're buying just get one or the other. One interesting point was finding that copper-based antifouls are incompatible with ferro, this alone saved me the cost of the materials.

I've now ordered study plans for the Queenslander and a copy of the full plans for their Windvane Steering system.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Am glad to see someone else having some fun with a couple of hartleys...Mine are a Hobart 57 with the full length Royal Suva keel done to a Hartley modified set of plans and the other is a Tahitian which is pretty standard...My wife and I call them the house and the granny flat....
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
Admiral

What size is the Tahitian you have, bearing in mind that the whole series got renamed "Tahitian" at some stage. I have two "Tahitians" but their original names were Tasman (27'er) and Queenslander (33'er).

Almost ended up with a free Samson 55'er recently too, but had nowhere to work on it. :-/

Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
GOF

Eleuthera is a 48 foot centre cockpit tahitian built by Samsons Boat yeard I n Rockingham WA in mid 80's They were a ferro building boat yard in Dixon road.

There are still a heap of there Boats wandering around over here All the ones I have seen are well built and well fitted out albeit getting on years now.. But are still at the usable but need cosmetic repairs stage..

Peter
Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #18
Admiral

Ah, OK. So it would have been called a Tahitian either way I suppose. Hope to get over there one day when I eventually go round Australia, I'll keep an eye out for them. :-)

Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
GOF

Your welcome anytime....
Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #20
Admiral

Thanks OldSquizzy, hope to take advantage of that offer one day.

Had my nephew sandblast the trailer I bought to collect the engines a couple of days ago, it's now a lot less rusty but the process has shown up holes in places I didn't expect. I'll be fitting a new floor and will also have to find a 13" wheel rim, since one of them has a hole right through adjacent to where the valve exits and the tube is visible through it.

My eBay purchases keep on arriving spasmodically, but I'm somewhat concerned that there has been no response from the four different Chinese companies I sent emails to about the engines. I want to buy a second gearbox, a simple enough enquiry. Even the manufacturer has completely ignored the email, which doesn't auger well for the availability of spares in the long term.

I've been bedridden at my brother's place for the past two days, seems to be the 'flu and I'm feeling very secondhand today. Hoping to get back to the yacht tomorrow and do some more work.